Heater Core replacement - '67 A Body

-

67CudaConv

Reaction score
Hello A Team!

I've got my heater core bypassed (BEFORE it dumped coolant inside the car), in anticipation of replacing it. Research tells me that the replacement heater cores don't always match up cleanly. Has anyone swapped one recently enough to be able to comment on a part number or source for the right fit? These cores show up as matches. This car does not have A/C.

ProRad APDI 9010073
Spectra (or Murray, same part number through O'Reilly) 94503

I know this is a fairly big job involving pulling the dash, possibly the console, etc... First time for me on that, so this topic is named generically. I have a feeling that I'll be back for more!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 08122014 252.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 414
Thanks Inertia -- Your closing quote about experience is key, as I'm recognizing that maybe I'm about ready to make a mistake!

You'll get a tremendous amount of knowledge and support here at FABO..

Most of your questions are answered in previous posts,, so when you go to a forum you're interested in,, there's a "search" button to help find what you want..

hope it helps.. cheers

Hello A Team!

I've got my heater core bypassed (BEFORE it dumped coolant inside the car), in anticipation of replacing it. Research tells me that the replacement heater cores don't always match up cleanly. Has anyone swapped one recently enough to be able to comment on a part number or source for the right fit? These cores show up as matches. This car does not have A/C.

ProRad APDI 9010073
Spectra (or Murray, same part number through O'Reilly) 94503

I know this is a fairly big job involving pulling the dash, possibly the console, etc... First time for me on that, so this topic is named generically. I have a feeling that I'll be back for more!

Thanks in advance!

I purchased one of these off of eBay from AUTOZONE. It fit perfectly for me on my '67 Barracuda and was $37.99 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HVAC-Heater...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f480709b5&vxp=mtr

It's the 94503! Now I can order that thing with confidence, thanks fellas.

I'll get deeper into the forums, as I had looked around, but missed the post discussing how to do the change without removing the dash.

Also: Nice cars !

I got mine at rock auto took me half a day to change. Not bad just a little time.

Hey, ho, thanks FABO. I'm the co-owner of this Cuda and will be blundering through this repair, too. The blind leading the blind!

Just put the 94503 from Auto Zone in my Dart Yesterday.Had to enlarge the hole in the case just a little bit for the tubes and had to file a little off the flat part on one end to fit down in the box.Nothing major.Well worth the money.

Replaced one in 67 Dart GT. Bought replacement off eBay and fit perfect. No need to pull dash. Probably most difficult thing is finding a comfortable position to sit, lay, lean or whatever to work on it.
I find it easiest to remove the front seat. Good luck but not that difficult.

A couple points that may help. Remove the front passenger seat. Makes the job a LOT easier.
You may want to order the foam/seal kit from DMT(Detroit Muscle Technologies)...its not expensive.
When you get to the point of "splitting" the box/case where the heater core is, be VERY VERY careful as the clips that hold them together are extremely snug and you may crack/break the case.
When putting the case back together "relax" the springs/clips a bit so as not to put too much stress on the case.

Here is a link that will help
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/project-vehicles/mopp-0311-1967-plymouth-valiant-heater-box-assembly/

Many thanks to all who responded! We got this project done without breaking anything, and we stayed patient with those heat box clips and the process to get at the heater core. We got more helpful information from you guys and the links than we did from the ship manual.

-
Back