Heater Demister FRUSTRATION!!!

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Heres the deal 1973 Duster

Purchased a heater demister control from a member and stupid me didn't specify it was a non A/C car so its wrong.

Purchased a second one from a member non A/C car. Took 3 months to get here and received yesterday. Tried to put it in today and it is still wrong. Screw holes don't line up and the wiring harness plug is different.

Now the one I am looking for is, "and I am only guessing" is the one with this style blower motor switch (pic Attached). This switch plugs into my original harness so hopefully the demister panel that suits will accommmodate this switch.

So in essence I am trying to look for cinderella's shoe. Can you help me

Attachments

• IMG_4853.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 245
The 73 and up A-body cars fan control switch is vertical like shown in your pics. I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for.......Is it the heater control panel, the fan switch or both of them ?

Try placing a "Wanted" ad here in this forum:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Well I have the switch so just the heater control panel. The mounting holes at the top are 3 3/4 inches apart on my dash.

I'm confused like everyone else. Maybe a pic of the dash you want to put it in would help. Good luck

I'm confused like everyone else. Maybe a pic of the dash you want to put it in would help. Good luck

Sorry for the confusion

The first 2 pics are the heater demister panels I bought. These 2 panels are both incorrect and dont fit my 73 Duster.

The 3rd pic is the blower motor switch that was plugged into my harness when I bought my car. That is all it cam with. There was no heater demister control panel. I am looking for the heater demister panel that fits with this switch.

Hope this is clearer

That switch looks like the one in my '72 Duster…
C

Yeah really from the factory? Can that be possible. The dash looks like it hasn't been changed at all.

Anything is possible. You could help us a lot with a pic of the dash/ bezel, etc.. in the car.
Before 73 the fan switch like the one you have shown is mounted horizontal, moves left to right, will turn the fan off.
73 and later , like the 2 you say are wrong, the fan switch moves up and down, off is in the upper sliding lever. None of these parts are interchangeable.
If you have a 73 and up heater case under your dash, you will need the later controller and finish bezel.

Post up a couple more pics for us. Dash, heater a/c box and the firewall.
C

Here are some more pics. I also went through a box of stuff that I got with the car and do remember I had this heater/demister (last Pic) however I still dont know how this would screw to the holes in the dash. Something is still missing.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 011.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 010.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 170
  • 009.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 008.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 007.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 162
I'm not up on the later stuff but it might be that your heater/demister panel is secured to the dash bezel which is then secured to the dash. Someone more knowledgeable than me is certain to chime in.

The car is 73 . This is evident in the presence of 2 NOX valves on the firewall.
It appears the heater case was changed to pre 73. This would explain the fillers in the firewall at fan and tubes. My guess is someone did that in order to add a/c to a car that didn't have a/c. If that is in fact a pre 73 HVAC you do have the correct controller for it. How to mount it in a 73 dash ? I don't know

I am still not getting it. If my dash is in fact a 1973 and I have apparently the 1973 controls why will the screw holes in the dash not line up with the heater/demister controls I have.
All 3 of the controllers I have do not mount up to the screw holes in the dash. WHY?
The screw holes in the dash are 3 3/4 inches apart.

You have a 73 car . It was an A/C car that someone changed over. Your dash has been modified as was your firewall. find another non A/C car for the correct parts. I may have one out I will look and post pics if I do.

they are all the same non A/C and A/C the only difference is the control. I have changed many over both ways. the fire wall and the studs for the vents are the only difference in the dash frame and body.

I'm not up on the later stuff but it might be that your heater/demister panel is secured to the dash bezel which is then secured to the dash. Someone more knowledgeable than me is certain to chime in.
you need the bezel for the controller you have that came with the car.

if I'm not mistaken, The 73 finish bezel has studs on it that the controller mounts on.
The controller also has a metal support limb on the right rear corner that attaches at one of the speaker mounting studs to prevent its breaking that plastic finish bezel.

if I'm not mistaken, The 73 finish bezel has studs on it that the controller mounts on.
The controller also has a metal support limb on the right rear corner that attaches at one of the speaker mounting studs to prevent its breaking that plastic finish bezel.
I believe you are correct on this.

-
Back