heating issue.. need opinions

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
if I understand your question-- when your car is sitting for a period of time idling the engine temp climbs?
I do not think a shroud will do the trick-- it sounds like your radiator & coolant passages have blockage.. they need to be cleaned . also do you know the actual temp of the coolant or are you using the factory gauge? Lawrence

I always say.....either you're not getting air flow or you're not getting water flow. But that's after you determine that the car's REALLY overheating.....not a malfunctioning gauge or a bad radiator cap letting water puke out when it shouldn't be.....(poor cap seal or at the improper pressure rating) Also remember that huge rust crunchies inside the block/head passages can be a culprit too.

No shroud can definitely make it overheat when idling at a stop. A shroud will create a vacuum (airflow) through the radiator by sealing the fan to it in essence. I have seen numerous cases where cars overheated without a shroud and when a shroud was installed the overheating problem was fixed. If it were a plugged up radiator or engine block it would overheat going down the road worse as rpm's increased.

I haven't used a shroud like the one in your link. You basically need a type that wraps completely around the fan to seal it to the radiator to work the best.

You also want to make sure the fan is at least 1/2" but not more than 1" away from the radiator and when you install a shroud you need at least 1/2" clearance all the way around between the fan and shroud.

well heres a couple things i think its the shroud like fishy said it would overheat when running . after it sits and kinda heats up i take it on the road and bam 30 at 30mph its back down to normal.
and its the stock gauge. and cap is not leaking but its like a 17lbs cap. my dad said it was a lil bit high lbs for a rad cap. he said 7-10

17 lbs is a little high but if you didn't have it you'd probably be boiling over. I usually run a 13lb. I would verify if the gauge is working properly as stock ones can be way off. Mine in my Cuda is way off (nearly pegged at 180) and it's not the sender cause I tried 3 of them. Nevertheless if the gauge is climbing at idle it has to be heating up some at least.

it seems to be acurate i mean from just watching it . it never runs at weird spots or wacky it holds a very same pace evreytime since i put the tranny cooler on it actually takes it longer to heat up then 5 mins about 8-10 but it has been running a whole neddle under where it was witht he tranny cooler not on. ill get it checked

I upgraded to an electric fan a few years ago and I haven't had a cooling problem since.

My mechanical fan was direct drive - no clutch - so I get better mileage now, especially on the highway. I was unbelievable how much wind noise that mechanical fan was creating on the highway.

your car has a v8 in it now right. did they swap in a larger radiator when they put a v8 in, or do you still have the slant 6 radiator. im not running a shroud on my 63, but i had my radiator re cored and its a fresh motor, so the block should be clean inside. i would think. my car, runs at 195 all the time. a little cooler on a cold morning. but it never goes above 195, even siting in bumper to bumper traffic when its 95 out. i would hook up an aftermarket gauge and see what it says you are running at.

yea it still has the stock radiator with the v8. i guess it wouldnt hurt wqhenb i get some extra cash get a temp gauge and make sure whats it take to hook one up?

I use a digital thermal temp gun to check the operating temp and compare it against the gauge. Alot easier than hooking up a new gauge to verify if the old gauge is correct. The thermostat housing is generally within a couple degrees of the actual temp. so all you have to do is aim the temp gun at it and shoot and it tells you the temp. I picked up my temp gun on E-bay for $40 shipped. Real good one too, not a cheapie.

As Fishy68 said.....lack of shroud will cause it to overheat when standing still.
Air will flow thru the path of least resistance. Without the shroud, the fan will suck air from around itself, not pull it thru the radiator. With a shroud, the air has no choice to go thru the rad.

http://www.usradiator.com/default.htm

I installed this triple flow three core radiator from us radiator. It fixed all my overheating issues. It will fit perfect and you can even mount the factory fan shroud.

radphoto1.jpg

radphoto2.jpg

hmmmmm a new rad wouldnt be bad... expencive

ima ask the shop when i pick my car up if they can check and make sure the temp gauge is working as should but the stock gauge dont tell me the temp it usually runs to it starts around the first line then when it warms up it stays one needle lower then the 2nd line on the gauge.

-
Back