HEI Ignition Performance Distributor

-
i know nothing about it but i like how it uses all the gm internals. the advance weights and springs are easy to get to..

It's basically (or totally, maybe) the same as the Skip White dizzy. I have the version without the built-in coil and use a coil I also bought from Assault. The combo works well. I am not currently running it but have it as a backup.

The module is not the same as a GM so you have to order a replacement from them if you ever need one. That could be a hassle if you needed it quick. That is about the only downfall I can see with them. I modified mine to lock out the advance as I had my initial set at 34-36 degrees and didn't need all the advance.

Does the description lettering look all crammed together to you guys or is it just my browser?

i just worked on a friends car tonight that he purchased with a GM style hei dist. its a stock 318 2bbl we actually had to grind the dist. housing and intake just to be able to adjust the timing. and the previous owner beat the firewall in just to make clearance. my feeling is they are huge and unnessary. no wonder the previous owner couldnt get it to run right the dist would only turn maybe 1/4 inch before it would hit on the cap holdown aginst the intake.

Slightly less cost for a "ready-to-run HEI" w/o integral coil ($45) and an external e-core coil ($20). Slightly more wiring, but that is nothing compared with dealing w/ clearance issues.

Re "The module is not the same as a GM",
The module inside the $45 one looks like a standard 4-pin HEI module, used on early GM's. Later GM's used other modules. The 8-pin module w/ Metripack connectors is best for several reasons, and used in 85-95 GM "small cap, computer distributors" w/o integral coil.

Bill do you happen to have links to the products you reference? I will be in need of something for my 5.9 build.

I put this distributor in a dodge van that had a 318 with electronic spark control. It started easier and ran much better. the electronic spark control would cause surging as it kept switching the advance back and forth. and would knock & ping when it went full advance.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Mopar-Dodge-Chrysler-318-340-360-Complete-Electronic-Distributor-HEI-/380453707588?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5894cedf44&vxp=mtr"]Small Block Mopar Dodge Chrysler 318 340 360 Complete Electronic Distributor Hei | eBay[/ame]

I bought mine just because I figured at that price and how easy they are to hook up, it would make a great tool to bring along when troubleshooting a suspected bad ignition, or looking to buy a car that hasn't been ran in forever and/or has bad wiring everywhere.

I have the smaller unit with the external e-coil. Still, very easy to hook up in a pinch!

Clearance problems is about all I hear about those, but I hear pretty good things about the small cap one with the external coil. (Like the ebay one)

I have no experience with that dizzy, but I do have experience with the seller and would not buy from him again.

Bill do you happen to have links to the products you reference?
Search "ready-to-run" on ebay. I don't know if 4woody is referring to kmjperformance as "that vendor", but most here bought from Steve White Performance for less. Manufacturer is Ningbo Xianlong Auto Parts Co, Ltd (www.cnxianlong.com), model XL1-318M. Most suspicion is either "can't be that cheap without problems" or "all Chinese sucks". Only one report of a failure I recall reading here (shaft bearing). Perhaps you should lube it first.

I bought the SB one, but haven't installed. For my slant and big-block, I went with the "Mopar e-distributor w/ GM 8-pin HEI module approach". Even with the Ningbo distributor, I might replace the 4-pin w/ an 8-pin module so my engine controller can control spark timing, plus the Metripack connectors are better and simple to connect to a GM coil.

I don't think I have ever seen any instance of issue's with those distributor (model XL1-318M) and I see quite a bit of people like them.
For the money, how could you go wrong?

Even if they wore out every year it's still worth it for the advantages.

-
Back