HEI or Rev-N-Nator and several HEI questions

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
Replaced a bad coil with the Rev-N-Nator coil as I had been considering doing the Rev-N-Nator in the future (currently running the Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit). Still no spark. I assume it's my ignition box. Buying a cheapy at O'Reilly just to get running (and make sure that is the only problem) and then deciding what I want as far as ignition.

I want to keep my car looking mostly stock but have gone through a few orange boxes now. I like the idea of the HEI in the Mopar box as shown here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/hei-in-mopar-ecu-casing.252705/
but I also like the idea of the Rev-N-Nator.

Will I notice much difference between the two as far as performance and drivability? Anyone running Rev-N-Nator's ICU with MP distributor? I would like more performance out of it but especially drivability.

If I do HEI, can I use the Rev-N-Nator coil? I read varying things and am confused on the subject. Any guidance is appreciated. This is just stuff I haven't really dealt with.

Scampengine2.jpg

Scamp1.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a fairly stock/ mild build and you notice ANY improvement between "what you have" and "what you get" then the "what you had" has something functionally wrong with it.

If you have a fairly stock/ mild build and you notice ANY improvement between "what you have" and "what you get" then the "what you had" has something functionally wrong with it.

its .030 over, .470 lift cam, stock heads. Eventually plan to do heads and hi po manifolds and a different intake and carb setup. So I guess that would be mild still.

I've ran a Rev-N-ator box on my 67 Plymouth belvedere with a 408 stroker with a cheap distributor and the engine seemed to come alive alittle more at the higher rpms. I'm running msd blaster coil. I like the Ecu especially for the rev limiter. Dustin.

I've ran a Rev-N-ator box on my 67 Plymouth belvedere with a 408 stroker with a cheap distributor and the engine seemed to come alive alittle more at the higher rpms. I'm running msd blaster coil. I like the Ecu especially for the rev limiter. Dustin.

Does it seem to be any different in normal driving? How long have you ran it? Do you wish you had gone a different route?

I've ran it off and on for about 4 yrs. it's now on my 65 dart 273 I haven't had a different box on 65 besides Rev to compare. I wouldn't say I notice much difference with normal driving. I like the box and would buy another. I also have an MSD 6AL2 and I'd rather use Rev box. Maybe a different route I'd look into is an FBO ignition I've heard good and some bad about them. But with the FBO it deletes the ballast resister. Dustin

I'm still wrapping my head around hei and am trying to figure out if I get an hei module can I use the coil on my car? Supposed to be better than an MSD blaster. But some of what I read says it's not hei without a special coil

Even your factory coil with HEI gives you a hotter spark than the Mopar box, probably for a couple of reasons........the HEI does not need a resistor, and the HEI has dwell control. An added bonus of HEI, and again..........I'm referring to GM HEI and not some import deal, if you happen to leave the key in "run" with engine stopped, it does not draw coil current and heat up the coil

Ok good info. My brother in law, a gm guy is hooking me up with some OE hei stuff. I'll see if I can get it to work inside of my orange box which I've already hallowed out and then run a wire inside the back of the ballast.

I assume I'll have to retime my car. I don't run vacuum advance with my distributor, just have it plugged. Do you run vacuum advance or is yours plugged?

Also pentronix makes a hei module that has a rev limiter in it, for 75 bucks, I have a couple of them and they work good.

I've had several rev-n-nator boxes I've had good luck with them. One was on my Demon with a 416 stroker, it really helped with starting and high rpms. I have one on my Dart 340 roller motor with Holley fuel injection had a little issue with it picking up some interference but they helped get it resolved and hopefully it's fixed.

-
Back