Hello from alaska with hopeful enthusiasm

-

polarbytes

Alaska gold Dart
Reaction score
Greetings from Alaska, my son and I are trying to transform a rusted 70 Dart into his ideal driver. We bought the car three yrs ago as real newbies to Dodge. It was one of those whim things; no real background or knowledge and no clue! It was to be his first car, he had just turned 16 and he drove it for two years, but last summer the tired 318 gave it up and we decided to update and replace. We built a garage to house the build in, (wish I had built it bigger,:violent1:) and got started with the complete teardown. I'm an old street rod guy, so I had some basic idea of the complexity that would be involved, but my advanced age, LOL, is proving to be somewhat of a drawback, and the boy is in college fulltime, so progress is slow. He worked last summer to earn enough to get started: pretty radical 360 build, new 904 trans, new wheels and tires, complete new front end, wiring, etc. And we spent the winter getting ready to paint; lots of panel replacement, (big learning curve!), bondo spreading, what fun! you get my drift. Then came the biggest learning experience of all: buying paint and materials, sticker shock!!! But we are getting there, doors and smaller body panels are now done and we are starting to get the fenders, hood, deck lid ready for another go around in the next couple of weeks. We have help from a couple of local dodge guys who are also body and paint pros at a local shop. They are helpful but not cheap, so it looks like another summer of work for the boy before we can get the car on the road. Anyway, thanks for reading and for the tremendous amount of expertise and helpful advice this forum has already provided:wav:, because here in rural Alaska, very few darts of any year and even fewer parts or parts cars. More pics to come, but they are on the boy's cell phone.

Attachments

• dart042014 0201.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 165
WOW good luck "up there." I've got a friend who moved up to the Palmer area

WOW good luck "up there." I've got a friend who moved up to the Palmer area

Palmer is a 6 hr drive for us. That's part of the problem up here; I'm sure there are several dodge dart owners, but distance to get together really makes it hard. On a more positive note: got fenders painted this past weekend and found a complete disc brake setup for a reasonable price.:thumbup: And thanks guys for all the positive reinforcement!!!

Welcome to the site!!. I'm originally from Anchorage ( Elmendorf )

Welcome from NJ! I lived in Anchorage (Elmendorf and Turnagin Arm) for three years in my youth. I have a scar down my back from the "big one" in '64 too. I still loved Alaska though. You can't explain how it is up there with words alone.

Welcome to the site.

Ma Snart

Attachments

• 1st Drag Race Burnout Rear View.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 106
Welcome onboard! I know there is hard to find old cars up there even if Barry knew of a 65 Dartcharger up there! I have a friend of mine from Sweden living in Bethel and he likes it up there.

Hope all works out for your project. FABO might be a good source to get stuff for you car.

Good luck!

-
Back