hello..need some advice

-

djais1801

Reaction score
I am new to mopar, have had several brands in the past: mustangs, camaro's, chevelles, etc.
I am looking at a 67 barracuda fback this week, are there known trouble spots to look for on these cars?
Thanks!
Ivan

All these old girl have troubles. You're talking about an OLD vehicle. One big recurring problem, especially on one where folks want to add a bigger alternator, and ESPECIALLY when adding big accessories, (stereo amp, etc) is the main charging line and ignition power feeding through the firewall connector for the harness. Some develop problems in the PC board for the dash cluster. Mostly easy to fix

Like all classics, there are certain parts that you might have to look for. Windshield seals seem to be an issue for now.

Your 67 is new enough that it gets away from some of the rarities of the older cars. Your rear axle doesn't have the older tapered rear axles, you don't have the older ball and trunnion U joint, nor do you have the push-button trans. It's old enough that you don't have to worry about smog controls.

Why heck, it's "just right!!"

Other than that these are all basic cars. Mostly easy to work on. If you've slung wrenches on Mustangs and Chevelles you should feel right at home.

Welcome to our world.

thanks...from the pic he provided it looks to be a 10 foot car, he stated it needed some body work and interior finishing, but mechanically it is all there. He's asking $5500. I think depending on the amount of body work, it's a good price.

Welcome to FABO. I am still new here myself, but I have spent alot of time reading through the posts here, and if you get the car, I think anything you would ever do to that car, someone here has done it, and probably already posted about it.

Welcome, be sure to look at the under side of the vehicle, for obvious rot issues , especially the torsion bar cross member, and rear leaf spring shakle mounts. They can be replaced but if your not able to preform the work yourself, it may get costly.

Welcome to FABO!When speaking with the seller,ask to see any documentation on the car(fender tag,build sheet)check to see if all matches.Ask lots of questions about the history of the car,engine,paint,suspension upgrades?Just remember theres alot of other nice cars for sale on the board for reasonable prices.Good Luck.

I will be test driving it tomorrow, I looked at it yesterday briefly..it seems to be legit. The paint job is lackluster, and there is plastic in places, but the quarters, floors, and frame is solid. He says it's a formula S car, so it has the heavy duty suspension, it's got a mechanical tach in the dash. It is an auto, on the floor with center console and buckets. I heard the 360, and it sounds strong, there seems to be either an exhaust leak, or a slight valve tap.

here is the pic from the ad:
cuda.jpg

You got the 1 year 67 idler arm....But that car looks nice enough to skip that little inconvenience...Check condition of rear torsion bar socket area, (about front of seat area under car) if its crazy rust down there, it could be ready to fail.

360 in 1967 a-body? Don't think that could be original. But engine swaps are not that frowned upon. Looks good in picture and stored inside is always good.

i am not looking to win a concourse...hopefully it can be fun...it has a 4bbl carb, 727 auto trans, and the small bolt pattern on the wheels. still have to test drive tomorrow. but the body looks like the pic in the ad. What would you counter on a price of $5500?

i forgot ...he also told me that it's got rear air shocks..the way he bought it..should this be a concern?

Welcome to FABO djais1801!

You will enjoy this site - Lots of good people and information

When you get a chance, please attach more pictures - We love pictures!

Car looks OK in the picture - Can't add much more than the others have already offered for advice. If it drives and stops decent the price doesn't sound too bad. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 for your viewing pleasure - More pictures in mygallery

Attachments

• DSC06599.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 73
Ma Snart,

The car was a bust..the drivetrain was problem free, however the body was a bondo filled basket...my buddy is a bodyshop guy, and said the car was too far gone. Bondo in the door sills/jams and every panel needed to be straightened.

That's too bad. Are you looking for something that you can work on while you drive it? Don't give up. There are some great deals out there right now. Even on this site.

-
Back