hello you guys with mechanical fan and aftermarket rad

-

Reaction score
I'm giving up on my attempts of running an electric fan so now I need to figure out how to mount a shroud to work with my mechanical fan. I have a b cool rad so naturally it has no provisions for a stock shroud, I've got three shrouds that done even come close. Do I need to get a specific factory shroud, build one or one of those aftermarket ones ?

I have a crossflow BeCool in my Dart. I believe my shroud is a B body piece. It fits real good. I used Tie wraps discreetly to secure it.. Get your rad measurement's and post what you need, you might get a hit.

Necessity is the mother of invention... Are you using a flex fan or viscous? Distance from fan to radiator?

This is a shroud from Classic Industries. I secured it with tie wraps, and sealed between it and the radiator with heat wrap tape, on the inside.

Attachments

• DSCN1256.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 320
Thanks for the reply guys.

Ir3333, yes I'm running hot in stop and go traffic with the ac on and hot day.

Mgunner, I'm running a clutch fan, not sure of distance due to motor is currently out of car but going by memory I'm gonna say about 1"

I'm out of town working right now but I will get measurements of rad when I return home in couple days. That would be awesome if it ends up being that easy, I was thinking of building my own, sounds simple but to make it look good is gonna require some metal therapy wich I may not have the ability/tools/patience..... Emphasis on the patience.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Ir3333, yes I'm running hot in stop and go traffic with the ac on and hot day.

Mgunner, I'm running a clutch fan, not sure of distance due to motor is currently out of car but going by memory I'm gonna say about 1"

I'm out of town working right now but I will get measurements of rad when I return home in couple days. That would be awesome if it ends up being that easy, I was thinking of building my own, sounds simple but to make it look good is gonna require some metal therapy wich I may not have the ability/tools/patience..... Emphasis on the patience.

you can always order an alum. one, and split it (on the sides) in the middle like an older gm pickup, and make it bolt together, tailoring it to your set up. I did, but have to run a short oil filter w/ it on my big block. 1/2" spacer omn a mech. fan ----------

...clutch fans operate at about 85 % crank speed at lo speeds according to Haydens web site.Maybe a good flex or mechanical fan could help along with the shroud.
Flex fans scare guys but the better quality ones are guaranteed up to 10,000 rpm..5000 should be fine.

My Champion radiator with a stock Mopar shroud. Had to split the bottom to install it.

Attachments

• DSCF0363.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 232
My son's 340 has a stock /6 shroud turned upside down and trimmed out some. I can get you a shroud PN if you like. I fits all the way over on the edges of the rad.

Attachments

• DSCN1831.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 198
Wow, my shrouds don't even come close to resembling either of those. A part number would be great. Thanks guys.

Here you go..... the Mopar PN is 2998324 for the shroud. The corners have been hacked out some for the upper hose and down low on the opposite corner for a remote oil filter (not visible). There are some holes in the edge 'strips' of the rad that we enlarged, and put tinnerman nuts there, and just the right length of screws to hold it in place.

Mopowers ID'd it as being off of a /6. This is a 22" rad IIRC. (I'm too lazy to go and measure right now....LOL) The shroud is pretty shallow as you can see; the short early A body engine compartment needs it to clear the Sandin A/C compressor and such.

Is it the picture in post 5 or does something look funny about the fan? Never mind, not the OP.

Ok, my rad core measures 22" x 18.5".

-
Back