Hello

-

scamp72

Reaction score
Hi to all the mopar people out there. Well i am new to mopars. Live in texas. I am a former bow tie guy. So, i will be asking questions from time to time. I recently got a 72 scamp for a father son project. I have started doing a little work to it. It is a original 318/904 car. I have purchased a mopar cam part#4452761. Weaind intake part#8007. Holley 650 double pumper . I got some hooker super comp headers . I have all ready put those on. Wow , that's a job. I thought putting the headers in my 3rd generation bbc fbody was tough. I am planning to go with the 318 heads 302 castings and have port/mill valve work done to them. From what i have read the seem to be the best 318 heads. I am thinking of going with a 727 trans. I will be changing the rear end as well. Just looking to help the 318 breathe a little better. Let me hear your opinions and hellos.

Welcome aboard scamp72. I came over from the dark side years ago also, although I still have my 74 Z/28 and three 55 Chebbies. :) If I were you I'd think at least twice before changing out that 904 for a 727. The 727 takes about 30 to 35 more horsepower to run than the 904 does, plus you'll need a new driveshaft yoke and you'll have to get your driveshaft shortened by about 3 3/4". I haven't personally used any of the 302 casting heads, but there's been a lot of discussion about cracks in a lot of those heads, so maybe do some research before forking over any hard earned cash. I've also heard they are the best of the available heads for the 318 as far as flow and chamber size and configuration are concerned. Good luck with your project and I'm sure you'll have a lot of enjoyment with it.

OldVart said:
Welcome aboard scamp72. I came over from the dark side years ago also, although I still have my 74 Z/28 and three 55 Chebbies. :) If I were you I'd think at least twice before changing out that 904 for a 727. The 727 takes about 30 to 35 more horsepower to run than the 904 does, plus you'll need a new driveshaft yoke and you'll have to get your driveshaft shortened by about 3 3/4". I haven't personally used any of the 302 casting heads, but there's been a lot of discussion about cracks in a lot of those heads, so maybe do some research before forking over any hard earned cash. I've also heard they are the best of the available heads for the 318 as far as flow and chamber size and configuration are concerned. Good luck with your project and I'm sure you'll have a lot of enjoyment with it.

Lot of good advise there. So its kind of like the th400 and th350 where the 400 uses more hp. I'll probably stick with the 904 rather than use the 727. Did you look the cam specs up? I looked at comp cams , crane ,and lunati, but could not find anything close to the specs that mopar offers. Here are the specs.
Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-5,800 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift: 228
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift: 231
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 228 int./231 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 268
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 272
Advertised Duration: 268 int./272 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.450
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.455
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.450 int./0.455 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110

welcome and enjoy the site :drinkers:

Picture003.jpg

-
Back