HELP!!!!74 4 door cornet disc brakes

-

Ptdartfreak

Mopar freak
Reaction score
I pulled this off of a car today and i was hoping that it works for my 67 dart with drum brakes

The upper controll arms are for sale. they wont work

please fill me in

thanks

chad

downsized_0218001726.jpg

downsized_0218001727.jpg

downsized_0218001727a.jpg

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a Coronet is a B body, so the UCA's won't fit in an A body, let alone the spindle bolting up to the A body LCA.

The knuckles will work just fine once you have the correct ball joints in place. The calipers probably won't because of the hose routing. You can hang the calipers to the rear and run the hard line to the front like the factory did on those cars and then the hoses will work but that is a bunch of work. Kind of depends on what kind of anti-sway bar you have. I don't see a rotor in the picture, was that an 11 inch setup or the larger 11.75?

you cant use the UCA from anything but an A body on another A body. You CAN however use those spindles, dust shields, caliper brackets and calipers with a 73 and up A body UCA, or Dr Diff's ball joint adapter on a 72 or older UCA, and 73 up A body lower ball joint on any 66 or 67 up A body.
Same brakes/spindles (more or less) on all F,M,J and 73+ B bodies.

The use (or non use) of the F,M,J and later B body spindles is an ongoing debate. I don't know much about math, but I am a professional journalist, so I have to defend the Mopar Action crew on that front.

Here's a quote from their article:
"Do not succumb to the temptation to use "lookalike" knuckles from later Mopars, such as 73-up B/R-bodies, F/J/M bodies, etc. These parts, while visually very similar, are taller, altering suspension geometry (camber change, bump steer, etc.), and possibly forcing the ball joints beyond their designed range, a/k/a “over angling”.

According to the writer, this is researched in Chrysler technical and engineering documents and the article is sourced at the end.(also correct journalism)

Can you use the other knuckles? Possibly. Hell, there's probably a FORD part that will work! I really don't know.

However, as a journalist, especially in a major high-dollar automotive publication'tech article, you have to be very careful what you tell people CAN be done! There is a tremendous liability issue!

Imagine some gear head kid misreads your article, modifies his barely-legal car with substandard parts, then plows into a school bus killing several children. He tells the police that the brakes failed because of the modifications that YOU suggested he do!

I'm also not a lawyer, but I can guarantee you that the magazine considers this possibility when they "throw aside the use of F,M,J, and late B body vehicles without any factual proof or real time experience to back up their article"!

A journalist relys on existing Chrysler engineering, not his own research. If something happens, it's Chrysler that bears the liability, not the writer.

You also need to remember this when you post on a site. It may look good, stop the car, work well in your application, but are you willing to put up your personal property in a liability lawsuit when someone gets killed following your advice?

Trust me. magazine editors are NOT!

All they had to do was NOT EVEN MENTION the F,M,J and late B parts as a swap source and they would have been free of any potential liability. Seems pretty simple to me, but then again I'm not a "journalist".
The spindles are only 3/8" taller . IIRC when I did the math several years ago it was approx. a 3* change on the bj angle. Hardly "over angling" it. Changing ride height could have a greater effect.
Camber is adjustable so thats really a non issue.
Thousands of people have used these parts for the swap on A bodies and B bodies with no reported issues or complaints.
I have read where people reported actual improvements in the handling. Go figure.

So, when a major automotive publication is doing a tech article which involves "thousands of people" using a part that Chrysler engineers say is wrong, it's responsible journalism "NOT TO MENTION" it??? Sure, no potential liability there!

What seems pretty simple to ME is if you have the opportunity to get the CORRECT factory engineered part, why settle for one that is 3/8 inch taller? I mean it's only your BRAKES and FRONT END alignment. THERE'S a good place to save a few bucks! And it's not like any of us are running higher powered engines or letting our kids drive the cars that we're building!

Sure, what do Chrysler engineers know???

The interesting thing about the internet is that there's always "thousands" of anonymous people who will dispute ANY fact put out by experts. I have read that "thousands" of people believe that George Bush instructed the CIA to plant explosives in the World Trade Center buildings, then faked the video of planes hitting the structures.

Perhaps the "lookalike" parts DO work fine. Maybe 3/8 inch is no big deal, but if I'm building a car that my grandson is going to drive regularly, I'm going to get the parts that Mother Mopar say I should have, and I'm DAMNED HAPPY that Mopar Action pointed out the engineers' concerns in their article!

By the way, I'm tired of posting on this subject. People will believe what they want to believe (and so do I).

I'd like to apologize in advance to anyone with special needs children, because I'm going to have to refer to JRR's "Shut the F#@K UP" foundation for the last word on this one:
retard.jpg

-
Back