Help Building a great street/strip 4 speed

-
Hey Rumblefish,

i sense from your post that you are upset from what i have said...Ive had some other people (non forum guys) tell me that i wont need a shield on the street....i was just asking...even cudaspaz said he doesnt run one and his car is quite more serious than mine will be...i understand you and everyone else are looking out for my best interests by offerring advice to me and its not like im choosing not to listen to it...im just trying to hear both sides to the story to find out what i really need to do for my car (scattershield vs. no s shield)...i hope you know that i appreciate all your help so far- you have been the prime source of info for me on this thread and i thank you for educating me...you have made me very excited to "row my own boat"8)...i really hope you arent taking this offensively, like i said i was just asking if i "really" needed one... i know its cheap insurance, but so am I (cheap i mean) so whatever i can live without i would like too, but im not too sure i can live without my legs, which is why you have good advice...

and second, hoping you arent done with this thread and offerring advice to me, how much money would i be looking at for changing gearsets....i went to the brewers site but kinda got lost as to what part name it is exactly that i would need to change for this

p.s. just out of curiousity does your 4 spd cuda have a scattershield?

My car is an original 4-speed car. When I got it, it had an auto. I put a 4-speed back in it.

It had an auto becase one of the PO's missed a shift or some thing like that and the fly wheel came out and put a big gash in the pas side tunel and fire wall. He is lucky it did not come out in the drivers side. So he craped his pants then put an auto in it.

I don't have a sheld now but it is only a street car I don't drive hard at all.
But when I hop it up a start taking it to the track I am going to put one in. To me it is a must.

It's your car and there your leg's. Do what you do kid.

hey 3404spdvaliant,

yes that was me...and i hadnt actually built a chev 350...my bro was interested in doing a car with me (chevy guy) so i was asking....i hate that board to be honest with you...as you can see from that thread, someone decided to get bent out of shape because i wrote the words help- apparently that means to some people that im getting uptight....i rarely frequent that forum again....and if you brought that up to make some sort of relation to this thread, there really is none, because in both threads i have done nothing wrong and done nothing to make people upset- people just choose to respond that way....now if anybody can answer the last question i asked to get this thread back on track, which was does anybody know how much it would cost to swap out the gears on the 4spd od tranny?

and for rumblefish, if you really are mad at me im sorry that you feel that way, because looking at the posts i have made i cant seem to find anything that would offend you or anyone else...i appreciate the advice you have given already, and if you choose not to help anymore (or ever again with my threads) than thats fine, your choice....but like i said i do appreciate your help, so if you can get past whatever made you upset and return to the thread i would really appreciate it

peace

If you wanna know prices call around.
Hint, start with passion performance for the gears.

And remember we just give experienced advise after that the decision only you can make.

'serious street use'

'take a beating at the track'

'I don't wanna spend arm & a leg'

Oh yea, and the advise gets better when you yourself can commit to what path you wanna take and not go back and forth, generally speaking.

Mshred,

First I wanna say sorry for a minor flip out, I did come off cruddy and I'm sorry for that and to everyone else for it. Thanks for the olive branch offering.

I'm not mad at you and I'm thinking I spelled out saftey over saving a buck. It's only a few hundred bucks. And that is what I got pissed about. Ultimatley I can not make the decision. I thought I gave a opinion that would have you think the better of what your doing exactly. And exactly where your engine/power level and intended purpose lies with the car is an unkown to me.

Your earlier description was one that leaves many opinions on your description. Just what exactly is the power of a street engine/ Run a poll and wstch the opinions fly and A body members rides vary.

IF anything, I gotta error on the side of caution. Get the scattershrild.
I would rather you spend $400 on something you'll never need vs not spending the money and end up with a need for a crutch.

While a stock bell will hold alot of power from an engine, it's the RPM's inside the bell housing that the clutch is seeing. While it is less than likely it will ever explode on you and even at a low rpm, per-sai for you vs. a race ride, it is possible that it may happen.

Just on the hint of that possible out come, ugh, I shutter at the thought.

OH, yes, I have a scattersheild on my Cuda. You betcha!

340val, I hear ya, had a beer and a good nights sleep, a little someting that doesn't come my way often. I'm so with ya on your last post. I feel a bit confused on the "saving a buck" and looking onto getting a new gear set for a trany! WOW!

Mshred, no worries, just ask away.

If you wanna know prices call around.
Hint, start with passion performance for the gears.

And remember we just give experienced advise after that the decision only you can make.

'serious street use'

'take a beating at the track'

'I don't wanna spend arm & a leg'

Oh yea, and the advise gets better when you yourself can commit to what path you wanna take and not go back and forth, generally speaking.

thanks for the remarks...really what im asking for is a transmission that will be good on the street and can take a beating at the strip for whatever reason (i may suck at manual, drive it hard, wutever)...I am comitted to what i want...like i said im new to this which is why im asking for help, so i dont know what 4 speed stuff costs....instead of trying to bring up threads from other sites (which are sorry attempts to make me look bad) just lend a hand or dont bother replying....i have committed to what path i want to take...its all three of those things that you quoted in your message- you cant help me with them, then oh well...maybe someone else can... like i said i dont appreciate anyone trying to make me look bad when i didnt do anything to anyone on this thread (or on that other one either) especially since i didnt do anything to deserve it....thanks though

As for Rumblefish, thanks for coming back in on this....i appreciate the advice like i said, and from the other posts i have had with you i figured you may had an irk in you that just came out here and wutever- **** happens...As far as the whole saving money thing goes, i dont know how much gears are (which is why im asking you guys cuz i have no idea) but everyone just keeps telling me that i dont want to spend the amount i will on them...id like to know atleast what it costs so if you guys know please just give me a ballpark figure...and i appreciate that you are looking out for me by recommending i go with the scattershield- its a scary thought losing your legs...all in all you have been the single biggest help on this thread and like i said earlier you have made me excited to "row my own boat"8) (just tried on my friends car tonight and im gonna need alot of work lol)

and just to leave off- this whole time i was planning on getting a scattershield guys...so before anyone goes jumping down my throat about what i choose without even knowing what i have chose, now you know:cheers:

thanks so far for all the help guys

thanks for the remarks...really what im asking for is a transmission that will be good on the street and can take a beating at the strip for whatever reason (i may suck at manual, drive it hard, wutever)...I am comitted to what i want...like i said im new to this which is why im asking for help, so i dont know what 4 speed stuff costs....instead of trying to bring up threads from other sites (which are sorry attempts to make me look bad) just lend a hand or dont bother replying....i have committed to what path i want to take...its all three of those things that you quoted in your message- you cant help me with them, then oh well...maybe someone else can... like i said i dont appreciate anyone trying to make me look bad when i didnt do anything to anyone on this thread (or on that other one either) especially since i didnt do anything to deserve it....thanks though

As for Rumblefish, thanks for coming back in on this....i appreciate the advice like i said, and from the other posts i have had with you i figured you may had an irk in you that just came out here and wutever- **** happens...As far as the whole saving money thing goes, i dont know how much gears are (which is why im asking you guys cuz i have no idea) but everyone just keeps telling me that i dont want to spend the amount i will on them...id like to know atleast what it costs so if you guys know please just give me a ballpark figure...and i appreciate that you are looking out for me by recommending i go with the scattershield- its a scary thought losing your legs...all in all you have been the single biggest help on this thread and like i said earlier you have made me excited to "row my own boat"8) (just tried on my friends car tonight and im gonna need alot of work lol)

and just to leave off- this whole time i was planning on getting a scattershield guys...so before anyone goes jumping down my throat about what i choose without even knowing what i have chose, now you know:cheers:

thanks so far for all the help guys

Boy/girl, you are an inept unappreciative knuckle head.
Grow up.
Try to make you look bad? No need to.

And BTW a stock 833 4spd is bullet proof from the start duder.

Welcome back to the threAd Rumble!!If you have a look back in the thread,It was Dr.X that made the coment about cheap insurance .Anyway I personally feel a scat.shield on any 4 speed street or strip is $400 (cheap insurance) well spent.Some people can drop 400 hp in a stock 4 speed car and try to do a burnout.Will that stock clutch handle it? Maybe??Maybe not??It only takes that one time.You don,t want to be sayin after..ya I should have,while you limp away.By the sounds of Mshreds car (mini-tub) I,m gonna bet that he,s gonna be lettin this car go almost everytime a Honda..smerks at him.Mshred get the shield for your car,I,m not mini-tubbed and that is usually done for bigger tires(traction)and also look for a 833 there just better.2 cents

Valiant boy/girl getting a little childish are we??Let,s get back to the topic,which is trying to help with advise.Thanks.

Easy 340, easy, lets just drop it from here and get back to the thread/problems at hand for the 4 spd info/help.

hey 3404spd valiant i appreciate your advice so far as well...i just dont know where the carcraft thread came from and i didnt appreciate it (if it wasnt to make me look bad, then i dont know what it was for)...and yes, i dont care, i do like bowties...mopars own, but i respect all brands of muscle...im actually very excited for my bro to get his chevelle soon (wish it was a mopar, but atleast its muscle)....and yes pettyblu, i think being young and ignorant i will probably drive with a bit of an ego for the first little while on the street, so i think im definatly grabbing the scattershield to save myself in a god forbid accident....you never know what can happen as you guys have already said..and the minitub, meaning bigger meats, is another factor i never considered so i think its pretty much a gurantee for me to get one- gotta start saving for one now...as far as replacing gears goes, if there is a drop in rpms between the 1-2 shifts, would i be able to replace just one of those gears to increase performance? i know it involves spending more money, but the way i look at it is with all the street driving im going to do (daily driver) the money i spend now will be money i can save in gas later down the road

We make our self's look bad, not others.

That thread was an example of not being completely clear about your intentions like as was this original post.
I'm always glad to help. btw
Don't worry about it, moving on now.....

Mshred,I don,t know anything about the O/D tranny,but you could put a 833 4 speed in and run 3.55 gears.that way you get both,streetable also for the strip.833,s are cast steel and can take a beating..good luck with choices.

hey pettyblu, im going to look more into the OD since it would be a great option for me if im driving my car daily...apparently first gear takes off like a rocket in it, but like already mentioned the OD tranny is weaker than the non OD version... I need to find out more about the spread between the gear rations in it and how it affects performance output...And if i dont go with the OD i think im going to settle with 3.91 gears in the rear with the regular 4speed...i calculated it and i should be able to spin around 2850 (or somewhere around there) at 60-65 mph, which is fine for me on the highway considering i dont use it that much...thanks for all the help so far guys, definatly making the whole 4 speed thing a lot clearer for me...if anyone knows anything about the OD 4 speed that hasnt yet been mentioned please feel free to inform

thanks guys
Matthew

Hi guyes i am new hear, have found my self with time on my hands after seperating from my wife of 20 years. Hope to find some new freinds hear. On the subject of street&strip 4 spd after 8years of broken parts i think i finely have it figured out .This is what worked for me,66 dart 416sb 309 first gear 833 3.91rear gear best time 1.56/60ft 7.14/1/8 11.14/1/4 120mph. I use Mcloud borg beck long pressure plate 2400# and a Ram 904 sinter iron disc this alouse the clutch to slip on launch,limets broken parts and keeps the rpms up to keep from boging the motor or to much tire spin. Like Rumblefish said you what to agressiley engage the clutch off the line not side step it. I do this by bring the rpms to 4000 than on the third yellow i release the clutch like leaving a stop light only quicker,gas pedal goes to floor as clutch pedal comes up this works for me. This set up is over kill for a street car because it gets grabby and chatters as it gets hot . I ran a centerforce duelfriction for a while great i mean great street clutch not so good at the track (for me) liked to break parts did not like to be slipped and grad real harsh. I riped the center out of this disc and put an organic disc in with same pressure plate held as good but much easier to slip,some slip is great at the track alot of slip is bad, clutches are still cheeper than driveline parts. This dropped my 60 foots to the 1.80 from 2.10 new setup dropped to 1.5s. I run a synchro tranny on the street and slickshifted tranny at the track. Slickshifted take out the synchros,struts,and springs and machine off every other spline off the sliders and every other clutching tooth off of 2nd,3rd,and4th gear not very nice to drive on street believe me. Scattershields take a look at quicktime smaller litter stronger and about the same cost one look tells the story. When highpressure clutches deteriorate and fail they do not care if you are at the track or on the street or at 5000or 7000 rpm they tear up parts, stock bells are for stock motors and drive lines if you up grade your motor and driveline please up grade your bellhousing. Hurst uses the numbers 422 and 421 to desinate the shifter and linkage location on the tranny, 422 is for B bodies and 421 is for A bodies. I hope this information can help some body to save some money and time. But do not take this as gosple its what i found works for me others might have discovert some thing even better. THANKYOU FOR LISSENING TO THIS OLD GUY

So... many years later... whatever happened to this guy? What was the outcome? Lol

-
Back