Help choosing shocks

-

toypar

Reaction score
I am building a 1969 Dart 340 4 speed. I am building the car for a nice street cruiser, maybe hit the drag strip once or twice.

I have installed PST 1.03 TBars, subframe connectors, braced lower control arms, Hotchkis rear springs, front and rear Hellwig sway bars, and now my next move is shocks. I know Hotchkis has a set of non adjustable shocks that would probably suit me just fine, or for a tiny bit more money I can get rebound adjustable Ridetechs. The Hotchkis adjustable shocks are significantly more expensive than the ridetechs.

Would the valving be similar between the Hotchkis and ride tech since they are both Fox shocks? Would the adjustability of the ridetechs allow it to work on a drag strip a little with the proper tires? Am I just over thinking and should just put a set of non adjustables and drive it?

I have a ‘73 Swinger with the exact same suspension setup front and rear. I’m having awesome results from the Bilsteins. I ordered from PST and they helped me to find the right length rears for the lowered Hotchkis springs.

I have a ‘73 Swinger with the exact same suspension setup front and rear. I’m having awesome results from the Bilsteins. I ordered from PST and they helped me to find the right length rears for the lowered Hotchkis springs.
Do you know the part number of the rear shocks you used? Is your car a 4 speed?

I have Bilstein shocks on my 68 Barracuda. Built Slant Six, 340 bars, subframe connectors, braced lower control arms, welded and braced K frame, tubular radiator support, Hotchkiss front sway bar, new ESPO rear springs. I have taken weight off the front of the car with: a fiberglass hood, a fiberglass front bumper and aluminum front bumper brackets. No track / strip time yet, but in 100 plus miles of street driving the car feels really nice. Firm without being harsh over bumps. I have not used other performance shocks so this is not a comparison, but for a non adjustable shock the Bilstein shocks are working for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like Bilsteins are a good option. Would the Hotchkis non adjustable warrant the almost 200 dollar price difference over the Bilsteins?

Sounds like Bilsteins are a good option. Would the Hotchkis non adjustable warrant the almost 200 dollar price difference over the Bilsteins?

I’ve run both the Bilstein RCD’s and the non-adjustable Hotchkis Fox shocks on my ‘74 Duster, and while they’re pretty close in performance I definitely give the edge to the Hotchkis Fox’s.

But I’d say it’s a small edge, and I think a lot of it has to do with that fact that I run 1.12” torsion bars. The Hotchkis shocks just have some additional range that allows them to deal with the larger bars better. With 1.03” bars I think the difference between the Bilsteins and the Hotchkis bars would be less noticeable, and it’s already a pretty small difference.

In addition to the 1.12” bars, my Duster also has a 340 (400+ ish hp), had a 4 speed and now has a 6 speed T56, SPC UCA’s, QA1 LCA’s, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, AFCO rear springs (120 lb/in), subframe connectors, torque boxes, j-bars, tubular radiator support, fully welded and reinforced K frame, and 275/35/18’s up front with 295/40/18’s out back.

I’ve run both the Bilstein RCD’s and the non-adjustable Hotchkis Fox shocks on my ‘74 Duster, and while they’re pretty close in performance I definitely give the edge to the Hotchkis Fox’s.

But I’d say it’s a small edge, and I think a lot of it has to do with that fact that I run 1.12” torsion bars. The Hotchkis shocks just have some additional range that allows them to deal with the larger bars better. With 1.03” bars I think the difference between the Bilsteins and the Hotchkis bars would be less noticeable, and it’s already a pretty small difference.

In addition to the 1.12” bars, my Duster also has a 340 (400+ ish hp), had a 4 speed and now has a 6 speed T56, SPC UCA’s, QA1 LCA’s, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, AFCO rear springs (120 lb/in), subframe connectors, torque boxes, j-bars, tubular radiator support, fully welded and reinforced K frame, and 275/35/18’s up front with 295/40/18’s out back.
Sounds like you probably really push your car around corners with that setup. Mine also has around 425hp, 3.55 gears. I will most likely not be pushing it hard in the corners, just want a nice street car that has the ability to take that on ramp at speed. I’m not afraid to spend the money for even the adjustable Hotchkis shocks, but if it’s just blowing money on something I may not feel the difference on, maybe the Bilsteins will serve me well.
I am used to a good handling car. I used to work for a BMW dealership years ago, and some of the M3s and M5s really could handle well.

Well, here’s the thing. The biggest difference I noticed was that the ride quality was smoother. So more comfortable. My car is definitely set up to turn corners but I primarily use it as a daily driver. And that’s where I noticed the most difference. From a handling perspective I’m not sure you’d notice the difference between the shocks on a stopwatch. Maybe you would. But difference in ride quality is noticeable. Now, I still think that’s partly because of the 1.12” bars.

Well, here’s the thing. The biggest difference I noticed was that the ride quality was smoother. So more comfortable. My car is definitely set up to turn corners but I primarily use it as a daily driver. And that’s where I noticed the most difference. From a handling perspective I’m not sure you’d notice the difference between the shocks on a stopwatch. Maybe you would. But difference in ride quality is noticeable. Now, I still think that’s partly because of the 1.12” bars.
Do you ever wish you would have went with adjustable Hotchkis shocks, or do the non adjustable do everything you want?

Do you know the part number of the rear shocks you used? Is your car a 4 speed?
I don’t have the number for the rears readily available but might have them in my office at work. As for driveline, mine is still a stock 318 and 904 combo with a 2.76 rear gear. The benefit I get from the Bilsteins is a smoother ride but paired with the spring rates and the sway bars, it has the ability to handle the roads in SWMO pleasantly and can be pushed a little for a fun drive.

The advice that I got from 72bluNblu, when I was shopping for shocks helped my decision tremendously. Definitely pay attention to his words.

Do you ever wish you would have went with adjustable Hotchkis shocks, or do the non adjustable do everything you want?

Not so far. I’ve had adjustable shock settings on previous cars, I found that I just set them and left them there. And usually I ended up with them set pretty close to middle of range anyway.

If I was going back and forth between street driving and autoX or other racing I think the adjustables would be great, one setting for the street and another for the track. But since I’m pretty much always on the street I’ve never felt the need to adjust them. And honestly the Hotchkis non-adjustables have been amazing, even if they were adjustable and this is how they were out of the box I don’t know that I would have changed them.

Not so far. I’ve had adjustable shock settings on previous cars, I found that I just set them and left them there. And usually I ended up with them set pretty close to middle of range anyway.

If I was going back and forth between street driving and autoX or other racing I think the adjustables would be great, one setting for the street and another for the track. But since I’m pretty much always on the street I’ve never felt the need to adjust them. And honestly the Hotchkis non-adjustables have been amazing, even if they were adjustable and this is how they were out of the box I don’t know that I would have changed them.
Thank you for the detailed info. Sounds like non adjustable Hotchkis are on the short list.

Has anyone ran or have experience with the Ridetech HQ series? They are only 70 more than the Hotchkis non adjustables, and looks like the are rebound adjustable. Just curious if the valving is similar to the Hotchkis shocks.

-
Back