help decoding trans and rebuild

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if my trans is a lockup trans or not. The numbers of the rail are PK 3681053 4083 1473. Person rebuilding my trans said I need to find a 727 from a big block as a donor to use some of the internals to rebuild mine if its indeed a lockup trans. Its behind a 350hp 340. Also if you guys have any helpfull advice about rebuilding this trans please tell me. I know enough to remove it and reinstall it and thats it. Car will be used for cruising, car shows, smokey burnouts and the occasional stop light hole-shot.

thanks!

That number is a small block 727 that came behind a 318 or 360 engine in a '72 or '73 model car. It is a non-lockup type.

..............No it is not a lock up trans......if the person rebuilding it doesn't know if its l u or not, u better keep looking 4 some1 else to do ur trans......a non l u trans will have splines all the way to the end of the input shaft...............kim..........

he told me over ther phone it was a lock-up type and I need to find a 440-727 from 70 or 71 to use as a donor to make mine worth a crap, I was just trying to verify that it was indeed a lock-up. Do you guys think this trans I have now would work with a 3000 stall and a tci complete overhaul kit would hold up to the occasional burnout/holeshot but no drag racing?

thanks

For a small block 727, it's as good as any and will work fine for your application. If you're building something from scratch, I'd rather use a 904 with some internal upgrades. It's lighter and robs less horsepower from the engine. Built right, they hold up just as well as the 727.

It's plenty stout to take 350 hp even in stock configuration. If your rebuilder doesn't know that and thinks it's a lock-up he doesn't know beans about a torqueflite and I'd find someone else to do it.

-
Back