Help: Early A-Body Steering Column Differences?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
On the early-A 63-66 cars, what are the differences between the floor shift steering columns? I know the power and manual ones are diff length but is a 64 or 65 column the same as 1966? Auto and 4-speed diff? Maybe they are the same? Thanks!! :D

To my knowledge the 65 and 66 steering columns with manual transmission are the same. 65 and 66 with power steering are the same too. However in Sweden (or in US) for late 65 and 66 they added steering locks on the column. I'm not sure if there was any differences were the location of the back-up light switch was.

No locking wheel on my 66 but an automatic column shift probably does. Thanks Ulf!!

BTW, I will crawl up in the rafters in my shop to see if I have those seat brackets for ya :D

The late year build 66 Barracuda I parted out last year was a column shift automatic and no locking steering column. Here in the US I think the first year for the locking column was 70.

There were no gearshift or steering wheel locks on US Mopars prior to the 1970 model year, and I will be very interested and quite surprised to see any documentation of the alleged '64-5-6 column locks on the Mopars that were sent to Sweden, which were almost identical to US spec cars with the exception of the speedometer, headlamp lens-reflector units, and a few other minor details.

As for the question at hand: the differences are minor. Column to floorpan plates changed configuration from '65 to '66, the turn signal switch connector changed from '63-'64, and the style of shift lever knob changed from '65-'66.

There were 3 different couplers used those years but as an assembly, they'll swap as long as they're for the same type box....I.E manual to manual, power to power.

cudamark,
Where can I get the lower shaft bushing and seal for the column in my '66?

Randy

There isn't a bushing in the lower part of the column....only a seal. I've gotten them at the different Mopar car shows/swap meets in the area. I bought them in the past from MrMopars and from Layson's but I'm sure there are many others that have them too. The ones I bought were in the $35-40 range.

-
Back