Help finding or constructing a new convertible top switch for my 68 Dart

Convertible A-Body Mopar

1. Rick's 68 Dart GT

Rick's 68 Dart GT New Member

Local Time:
    4:53 PM
    In November it seems like a great idea to deal with a number or small, niggling electrical problems by ripping all the wires and heater box out of my Dart. Now it's July and I really want to put it all back together so I can play.

The switch for the electric top is kind of doctored, and I would like to replace it. Can I anyone tell me where I can find a working three way toggle switch (up, down, and stop) that is either original, or made to be a replacement to the original, or created to work well without shorting.

This is not a show car - just a fun project car. Thanks for helping someone new to the forum.

2. toolmanmike

toolmanmike FABO Staff Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:53 PM
    Any parts store can help you with a switch.

3. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Jim at JS Restorations in Pennsylvania restored the convertible top switch for my 68 convertible last year.

JS Restorations
    www.jsrestorations.com

4. jbc426

jbc426 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:53 PM
    You need a 3 position momentary switch. In other words, the switch automatically springs back to the center position, and must be held to activate the 12v circuit to the left and right of the center position. Once released, it springs back to the center.

I always prefer to use Marine Grade switches, fuses and components, which can be easily be sourced online at places like West Marine.

Get a hold of Crackledback on here. He's a member here and he makes a very nice and fairly priced relay equipped power harness for the convertible top circuit.
    That will keep the amp load down on your switch.

5. Jim Lusk

Jim Lusk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:53 PM
    We put a Barracuda dash in my son's Dart convertible. On the Barracudas the switch is kind of a tacky add-on to the underside of the dash, not a clean install like the Darts. We took the entire harness (with relays) and switch from a Le Baron. I installed the switch in the console ashtray. I will be doing the same in my Barracuda convertible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Rick's 68 Dart GT

Rick's 68 Dart GT New Member

Local Time:
      Thanks to all four of you for your responses. i like the advice from jbc426 to use marine grade switches and will probably make my own. Love knowing about JSRestorations!

(also really like the idea of putting the switch in the console - If I had bucket seats...)

• RedFish

RedFish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      3:53 PM
      Top switch from any vert operates the same but... the newer examples use relays to conduct the higher current so their manually operated switches don't need to be substantial in construction and don't need the large wires routed to them.
      If you do go with a generic switch without relays, marine grade, whatever, make sure its rated at the amperage required for this application. Many modern marine examples are pizzy little manually operated switches for controlling relays also. When brothers boat motor was going up and down on its own, the switch was fine, a relay had failed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.