Help! Hedders for a Duster W/1 7/8" tubes on S.B. With R/T heads??

-

Blue Grey Duster

Reaction score
I'm having a time finding a set of 1 7/8" hedders to match my small block 402

stroker with stock R/T heads, in a Duster. Called and E-mailed the H-man's

tech line , but got conflicting advice, so I'm asking the guys that really

know, YOU GUYS. I need to know which set will fit my application. Is anyone running Hedmans?

They honestly told me that they make them but they might leak. I appreciate this site.

when i put my headers on,the passenger side bolted right up...on the drivers side i could not get all the bolts to start,i had to start a bolt andstick a phillips screwdriver in a bolt hole and pry it up,and put a bolt in the hole next to it,,after i got two or three in the others went together,,,hope this helps:snakeman:

Thanks for trying to help me Dean, but I had my message worded wrong. I've changed it in hopes of making it clearer. I'm sorry about that.
You have a sharp looking car.

Part number 75140 This is considered a race header. It may not have a collector ring and one pipe on each side goes through the fender well over the frame rail.

Why do you need such a big pipe size ?

Thanks Adam, I appreciate your help. Now if I can find someone with a Duster using that number on a magnum. The techs said the flange might leak on the two middle ports.??? I know a guy with this engine in a 65 Dart that was dyno'd, and he said it likes the bigger hedders, he uses the 75110 and likes them, they are 1 7/8", fender well exit.
Chrysler also recommends the 1 7/8" on this engine. 360 magnum stroker,
402 C.I., 435 H.P..

I use the TTI 1-5/8" on my 408 Magnum stroker and its been dyno'd at 432 HP at the reat wheels. I just used 3" exhaust on it.

Even when I used those headers on my old J heads they still had leaking issues. The tube is so big and the port sealing surface is small. You could weld the area in question on the headers and grind it flat. Or better yet get the headers for the W2 and the adapter flanges for the small bolt pattern stock type heads. That would cure your problem.

I dont know why Mopar Performance recommends such a large pipe on those crate motors but they say to use 1-7/8" headers on the 360s also.

I dont think you need that big of a pipe. I think 1-3/4" Super Comps would be a better choice. 1-7/8" tube is big enough for a 550hp big block.

Just because the dyno says it made more peak power with the big tubes doesnt mean the car will run better with them.

Thanks guys, I'm headed your way. For the problems involved I don't think it's worth it, just for bigger tubes; leaks, fender well, and collector changes.

TTI's with a 3" exhaust sounds good to me. I know of a used set of TTI's I can pick up, good shape but they are nickel. Can these hedders be ceramic coated? My engine compartment doesn't need all that heat, that's for sure.

I'm ran tti's on my 520 h.p. 416,in my '70 duster they should work just fine for that crate motor..

I used hooker super comps on my .30 magnum motor w/ r/t heads. they work good kindof a pain on drivers side, but didn't cost 700+ either.

My 402 magnum LOVES to Breath !!!
Never had a leaking problem with hedman hustler 75110 !! Mine are a fenderwell ..true race header . 1 7/8" ... 3" collector... later abody fenderwells have a dif. part number and are probally different design. 63-66 abodys were 4 " narrower .

raggie engine 10 31 08 pix 287.jpg

I use the dougs headers on mine. 360 magnum with edelbrock magnum heads. I have 406 ci with 18lbs of boost and they seem to work fine with no leaks

-
Back