Help identify carb

-

Moparguy1

Reaction score
Bought a 440 dual 4 intake and the guy told me he thought the carbs were from a Hemi but I can not find any numbers on the base to identify what they were from. Can anyone help me? Here are a couple pics of them.

Attachments

• image-395138132.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 378
  • image-1730732705.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 383
They may "have been on a hemi" at one time but I don't think they are original Hemi carbs, think hemis had Carter AFB's, those are Carter AVS carbs.

Those aren't avs...no air door. Number should be on front pass bolt boss facing forward.

No, I can't find any numbers on the bottom plate. I think they are AFB's aren't they? I read that the AVS had the adjustment screws that came out straight and the AFB had the at a 45 deg angle. These are at a 45 deg.

AVSs has big *** door over secondaries, its not that hard to spot.
549647565_tp.jpg

They are definitely afb but with no number I'm at a loss

I agree. The original Carters did not have stamped numbers. They had a metal tag under a screw.

Try here:

http://racehemi.maxwedge.com/topics/carbs.php

The shop manuals, or at least the '70 Dart / Challenger manual, shows the Carter numbers. However, PHOTOS in the 70 manual show the earlier, "small" diameter carbs

How can I figure out what they would be worth and how would I order a rebuild kit for them since there are no numbers to go by?

look at picture one, bottom left near where the nut is. There should be a 4 digit number on the vertical surface. A good parts store might be able to get a kit for you based on those numbers. I have a couple of those, and mine are all 9500 series aftermarket carbs.

look at picture one, bottom left near where the nut is. There should be a 4 digit number on the vertical surface. A good parts store might be able to get a kit for you based on those numbers. I have a couple of those, and mine are all 9500 series aftermarket carbs.

There are no numbers in that location.

Weren't the original Hemi carburetors smaller than 5 1/8" at the air cleaner opening? I know the earlier AFBs were, but I am not sure about the Hemi. I think they were, too.

The fuel inlets are on the the wrong side of the carbs so I'm not sure these are for a Mopar application.

The fuel inlets are on the the wrong side of the carbs so I'm not sure these are for a Mopar application.

The 3705 and 3861 Carter carbs both had the fuel inlets on the drivers side and they we on Mopars in the early 60's.

Does anyone know what they would be worth if I decided to sell them? I might keep them and run them on my 66 Coronet with a 440 but I don't know yet.

Just for info, AFB's had a 4 1/4 diameter for the air cleaner. Those carbs aren't AFB's. They look like carbs on a GM I owned years ago. they have the 4 3/4 outlet as well, but not an AVS carb, no Air door, as pishta said. AVS carb's had air screws both at a 90 degree, 1969, and 45 degree, 1968.

I believe they are aftermarket Carter "SuperQuad" carbs...yes they are AFB's, but they have the flat metering rod covers and use the longer metering rods. The HEMI carbs used the shorter rods/domed covers I believe...but i could be wrong.

Should be numbers here...

carterafblist.jpg

The ported vacuum hose connector is not only there but on wrong side. With that said not a 3705 or 3861. They are likely not Mopar. How about a picture of the linkage mounting...

Here is a couple pics of the throttle linkage if this helps. I know where the numbers are supposed to be but there are not any numbers on them. If they were later carbs wouldn't they have numbers?

Attachments

• image-2719213628.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3997367236.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 143
The linkage arms are Chrysler. The factory 3705 had no vacuum port. With everything I see I would have to say non-factory "over the counter" Carter AFB for Chrysler - 3705 platform set up for "Non-ported vacuum".

-
Back