Help Identify this.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound silly but I gotta ask. 71 Scamp, factory 318, on the passenger side fenderwell coming up from same spot as the fuel line, it looks like steel fuel line, it goes up to the top and maybe 10 inches forward. is this the fuel return line? It wasn't hooked up when I got it. If so where does it hook to on an Edelbrock 1406? Thanks.

sounds like a vent line that goes to the charcoal can.

a picture would help to be sure

I know the pic would help greatly, dam Iphone is acting up transferring pics right now. I can text a pic to someone if necessary. I don't think it has a charcoal canister on a 71 does it?

Part of the vapor return system.

Yes, you can use it for a fuel return if you want to. Just make sure it goes into the sending unit and the rest of the line is in good condition.

As stated before on 70's A bodies, the fuel tank was vented into the charcoal canister rather than into the air. The idea was for the carb to suck up the fumes and burn them too.That line is the only tank vent unless you use a venter fuel cap or an earlier vented filler tube.

My 70 don't have the charcoal canister, while my 71 did. Both 318.

Ok thanks guys that's helpful. Running the edelbrock 1406 and not having a charcoal canister, what do you recommend I do with it?

Stick a hose on it and shove it into the passenger frame rail hole. My canister went bad and that was the fix for me.

Stick a hose on it and shove it into the passenger frame rail hole. My canister went bad and that was the fix for me.

You do want to be careful not to put the end of that line too low. Some of those vent locations on the tank do see fuel when the tank is full. If you jack up the back of the car, it might be enough to start a siphon from the tank.

Yeah, a little lower I think, not much, around a foot from the radiator? Plug it for sure, cause that tank has other vents.

That line , because its so small, has a nasty habit of rusting closed.Pop the gas cap and pressurize that line to be sure its clear. If you leave it open to atmosphere theres a very good chance it will rust closed and then you will develop running issues. Well down there,in FL, you might not have that problem.Heh-heh.

-
Back