help leaky softplug

-

7dartdemon2

Reaction score
Well this is my problem. I just spent my entire savings geting my 340 rebuilt. I get it home and put it in my 1980 dodge D-50. I start it up and I have a softplug leaking in the back of the head between the firewall and engine. I dont want to spend the 10 hours it takes to pull the motor just to spend 2 minutes changing the softplug. Is there anything I can do to stop the leak without pulling the motor.:salute:

Do you mean a "freeze out plug"?
If so, how about a rubber replacement?I get them at the local Auto Zone for my boat.Stick it in the hole,turn the nut a fiew turns and presto,hole plugged!!!And you can loosen it and remove it later.(that's why it's great for a boat engine)
Good luck

Easiest way I can think of is to pull the head. Lot less work and it will fix the problem.

Short cut hole through the firewall to the head ?
You wont be the first to do that.
Then a rubber plug to fill that hole when done.

I was already thinking of cutting a hole in the firewall and putting a rubber plug in it. I like the way you think.

Hi. I Had The Same Problem This Spring, Here's My Fix. I Used A Product Called J.b.weld Its A Two Part Compound That You Mix Together And Apply To Your Leak. Just Drain Your Coolant Below The Leak Dry The Area And Apply. Loctite Also Makes A Simular Product If You Cant Find J.b.weld. I've Driven All Summer With No Problems, But Now That Winter Is Here I'll Probably Pull The Head And Fix It Properly. Good Luck Bobby

I'd pull the head & replace the core plug. It might not be fun, (back in the day I might have even argued that point) but it's not that big of a job.

-
Back