Help me select a cam

-
Any thoughts on this summit cam?
Screenshot_20220828-153030.png

CHRYSLER Summit Racing SUM-6900 Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts | Summit Racing

It's smaller than the others, but I do like the price.

The SBM 265DEH hasn’t been discontinued, but it’s no longer in the regular SBM listings.
It’s in the back under the “Specialty camshafts” listings....... and it’s now a price code 5.
20-417-5

FD9FC029-E4D8-4650-9ACE-DFECAF019091.png

Any thoughts on this summit cam?View attachment 1715977089
CHRYSLER Summit Racing SUM-6900 Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts | Summit Racing

It's smaller than the others, but I do like the price.
Don't expect it to lope, if that's important to you. I've got a slightly hotter Summit cam(the 1789) in a 318 and it sounds nearly stock to me . Ignition timing plays a part though.My initial timing is at 22 degrees. Backing down to 15 gives it a little bit of chop. I am pretty satisfied with the performance and the price was right at the time. I picked it up during Black Friday sale a few years ago. It was $99 for cam and lifters. Can't buy it for that now. Specs aren't much different than the Comp 268h that PRH mentioned. DODGE Summit Racing SUM-1789 Summit Racing™ Camshafts | Summit Racing

I think finding any of them in stock somewhere will be the big challenge.

Maybe Oregon Cam grinders has a regrind they can sell you.

I'm building a similar 360 and am using the 6901 which is very close to the 68 4-speed cam.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm probably going with @RustyRatRod suggestion of the comp dual energy grind. It's a bit pricey but I figure it'll probably sound good, plus be easier on the valve springs, as dual springs and machining aren't in the cards. I'll be sure to post up a running clip once it's all done.

If you are looking to save a few bucks here and there check out the enginetech stuff at rock auto. I was skeptical at first but after using them on several budget builds they perform well . Example enginetech ERV901 valve spring compares favorably to the comp 901 , price at rock auto $1.87 each , you can save hundreds on a mild build.

Unless someone convinces me otherwise I'm probably going with @RustyRatRod suggestion of the comp dual energy grind. It's a bit pricey but I figure it'll probably sound good, plus be easier on the valve springs, as dual springs and machining aren't in the cards. I'll be sure to post up a running clip once it's all done.
This is another good option, especially if you're lookin for price.
Engine Pro Performance Camshafts MC3203-1

Is that a regrind? "Base circle smaller than original cam. Adjustable rockers and different pushrods may be required"
I don't think so. It's the same grind I have in my 400. It's Elgin/Melling/ and "all that".

Summit Racing SUM-6900 Summit Racing™ Classic Camshafts | Summit Racing
OR
PLYMOUTH COMP Cams 20-210-2 COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing

It's a 72 dart.
Both have low duration @050 which should be good for the truck and it’s 3.55’s on 28” tires. Be the truck a commuter to and fro for work and/or actual working truck that Carrie’s and hauls material. The brute low end is what is really needed in a truck (or car) that see’s traveling to and from work and/or is the work truck.

PHR mentioned the Isky camshaft which is also realllllly good for this application. The bigger Comp I listed has a listed 1,500 starting rpm range which is just off idle, & requires no converter upgrade.

Don’t use the 273 small valve heads.

Sorry, I might be mixing up threads here.

You have headers, you do not need a cam with extra exh duration.
The Comp 270H Magnum would be the biggest I would use or the Isky 270 mega.
Have a set of factory lifters re-faced if you want to avoid lobe/lifter failure.

D. Vizard has three pages of cams ion his SBC book. Not one of them is dual pattern.

"If a true street engine is equipped with a modified head & free flow exh system, a single pattern cam will often be the best choice".

"On a purpose built street performance street motor, this extra blow down [ extended exh duration ] can cut mileage & low end tq by as much as 5% - sometimes more".

You have headers, you do not need a cam with extra exh duration.
The Comp 270H Magnum would be the biggest I would use or the Isky 270 mega.

I was actually kinda wondering the same thing. The DEH description talks about utilization on engines with poor exhaust flow. In addition to a free flowing exhaust system on the car, LA heads have good exhaust ports and not so great intake ports right?

What do guys here think about this?

I was actually kinda wondering the same thing. The DEH description talks about utilization on engines with poor exhaust flow. In addition to a free flowing exhaust system on the car, LA heads have good exhaust ports and not so great intake ports right?

What do guys here think about this?
Now you're splittin hairs. Look at your build. It's a rusty dirt road build (no offense as those are my favorite) and now you're thinkin about the difference between single and dual pattern cams. lol Just pick one and go. It's like you think you're somehow gonna be down 50 horse power in comparison.

Now you're splittin hairs. Look at your build. It's a rusty dirt road build (no offense as those are my favorite) and now you're thinkin about the difference between single and dual pattern cams. lol Just pick one and go. It's like you think you're somehow gonna be down 50 horse power in comparison.
Hahaha you're right about that . I'll do that, but I'm still a curious person.

-
Back