Help me win this argument 400 in a 72.

-
So whats the goal? Power? Reliability? Economy?
What the use? Daily? Drag Race? Road Race? Street/Strip?
Whats the budget? Visa Platinum? $5k? Minimum Wage?

These questions will guide your choice.

Most opinions here will be biased towards what the poster likes. Yes it will fit and without to much trouble. I think it comes down to what YOU want to be the end goal.

If you want a quick R&R, go with the 360. If you want to build a killer engine down the road, get the 400.

I remember the 400 back in the 70s; it was considered a boat anchor because it came from the factory in such a de-tuned condition.

However, the 400 block is now a hot ticket for making mucho power.

440 Source used to have a great section on MoPar blocks, but it doesn't seem active now.

So what all is needed to shoe horn this puppy in? Headers and motor mounts? Will the tranny bolt in just fine?

yes to all you mentioned.

I own my 2nd of 2 440 Darts. i've owned 3 Darts total. One 68 adn two 69's. There is nothing to it. Headers are easier on a BB than on a Sb in an A body. There isn't a crazy weight difference when it's all said and done. Less than 100lbs if you are looking at a 360

One thing that wil not fit that you didn't mention is the driveshaft. It has to be cut. (About 100-150$) at your local machine shop)

Schumacher makes the headers and the mounts you will need.

Engine Weights for reference.

Mopar 273-340 "A" V8 525Lbs

Mopar 360 "A" 550Lbs

Mopar 400B V8 620

yes to all you mentioned.

I own my 2nd of 2 440 Darts. i've owned 3 Darts total. One 68 adn two 69's. There is nothing to it. Headers are easier on a BB than on a Sb in an A body. There isn't a crazy weight difference when it's all said and done. Less than 100lbs if you are looking at a 360

One thing that wil not fit that you didn't mention is the driveshaft. It has to be cut. (About 100-150$) at your local machine shop)

Schumacher makes the headers and the mounts you will need.

Mopar 360 "A" 550Lbs

Mopar 400B V8 620

Why would a 360 weigh more than a 340?

It's funny anytime someone wants to builds a 273/318 even a 340 most on here say don't waste your time or money, no replacement for displacement go for 360, then as soon as someone wants a big block everyone no go 360, sure you can buy cheap *** headers for a SB but if you buy quality there gonna cost the same, plus headers and aluminum intake will bring it closer to the weight of a stock SB, I'd go 400 over 360 or even a 408, 400 has better bore to stroke and rod ratio compared to a 408.

400 CI = boat anchor unless stroked. 383 > 400 - 383 > 440 in an A body. 440 > 383 in anything else.

Headers are roughly $650 from Shumacher and $175+ for mounts.

That's funny, I guess you never had a 400

The 400 has great power potential but it takes some work, in my opinion if I was building for max power I would take a good long look at the 400 but if a B.A street/ strip car is your goal a 360 is a very good base.

It's funny anytime someone wants to builds a 273/318 even a 340 most on here say don't waste your time or money, no replacement for displacement go for 360, then as soon as someone wants a big block everyone no go 360, sure you can buy cheap *** headers for a SB but if you buy quality there gonna cost the same, plus headers and aluminum intake will bring it closer to the weight of a stock SB, I'd go 400 over 360 or even a 408, 400 has better bore to stroke and rod ratio compared to a 408.

What you'll find is that most of these people have little knowledge and less experience. For instance, if you were to look at the people who knock going with the 400 in an A body they are people who have no experience with a BB a body. You also have the purists, you know Abodies are for A engines, B bodies are for B engines... etc.

That's funny, I guess you never had a 400

There is no doubt a 400 can be made to run.... That being said I would never put a 400 in anything without it bearing a stroker reciprocating assembly. LOL :thumleft:

Mopar 360 "A" 550Lbs

Mopar 400B V8 620
Now you are crazy to build an engine without the many available excellent
aluminum cylinder heads....and aluminum water pump, housing and intake.

Suddenly, the 400 now weighs about 500 lbs and you can make it a 496
without too much trouble. Just don't forget to adorn it with 361 emblems.

I would stick with a small block in a situation like this. The car already has a small block so swapping to a 360 is a simple bolt in. How fast do you want/need your wife's hot rod to be? Even a 318 with some well thought out parts will run pretty good. I'm not sure if a 72 318 Dart came with an 8.75 axle or the puny/weak 7 and whatever axle from the factory but if not an 8.75 you will need to upgrade to something better anyway. Why not deal with the axle first. Look for an 8.75 or even an 8.25 out of an A body and get it in there with a posi and some gears like 3.55s or 3.91s. After that all you need is a decent low buck small block, say even a Magnum 318 or better yet a Magnum 360 with a few simple bolt ons and an 11 inch converter and a nice tire burning 13 second car is easy. I'll bet your wife and father in law would be more happy with that than a big fat can of worms that cost alot more.

Now you are crazy to build an engine without the many available excellent
aluminum cylinder heads....and aluminum water pump, housing and intake.

Suddenly, the 400 now weighs about 500 lbs and you can make it a 496
without too much trouble. Just don't forget to adorn it with 361 emblems.

Crazy or on a budget. I didn't feel like spending an extra $1000 for 25 HP on my mild 440 build. I can save the weight and keep all the cash by going on a diet. :)

I guess my day has passed. I'm from the days when mopars had real factory horsepower and for just a few bucks and a good tune, you were off and rolling. no stroking,special pistons, fancy heads, etc. you had raw power for a reasonable price.

You are way behind the times. Today the technology has evolved so much with speed parts that even a 318 can run like hell.

The aftermarket has widened the gap between factory HP and what can in many cases be easily achived. Since GM stuff is so cheap and avaiable Mopar guys have to pull more tricks out of your hats. I love Mopar but its true..

The aftermarket has also fixed some initial engineering problems in the original designs or allowed us to go beyond what was originally available creating superior hybrids isf you will. I.e. 451 stroker, etc.

If you want a quick R&R, go with the 360. If you want to build a killer engine down the road, get the 400.

I remember the 400 back in the 70s; it was considered a boat anchor because it came from the factory in such a de-tuned condition.

However, the 400 block is now a hot ticket for making mucho power.

440 Source used to have a great section on MoPar blocks, but it doesn't seem active now.

Yup- depends on end use of the owner and how much work they wish to put into the project

You are way behind the times. Today the technology has evolved so much with speed parts that even a 318 can run like hell.

not as far behind as you think, at least I start with cubes, to build my horsepower. nothing like a bigblock for torque.

With all the jack you're gonna spend on the 400 and trans purchase(s), you could yank the 318 and build it into a little fire breathin nasty beeotch and use the same transmission, motor mounts and accessories. A 325HP 318 will move the hell out of an A body and also keep you in the family's good graces all the while being the most gentle on your wallet.

-
Back