Help needed installing front and rear glass.

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
I have done some searching and found a few ways but I always like more input. How would you guys and galls recommend installing gasket set windows on a '71 swinger?
Thanks
-Ross-

I had to do one back when i was in school, back window of a older chevy pickup. anyways What we did was take rope(obviously smaller rope) run it in the channel of the gasket, stick a corner in and just pull on the rope to make the edge go around the pinchweld, using soapy water in a bottle helps too.

hopefully this helps and you get an idea of how its done, If your still not sure i would probably just call a glass guy they will come to your place and do it, and for what you would pay vs buying new glass if you break it, it would be cheaper.

Just a though

Good luck:-D

I could give you the number of a local glass guy that does all the shop trucks at my work and he can come out and do it...I need to find his number, I may have him do the 73 when we paint it.

k thanks guys
I would rather not call a glass guy because thats more money out of pocket.
If I break some windows I might though.

So no one used glue in the gasket? I would think it might leak with out but....

The guy who did mine did both windows for 50 bucks the abody /mopar glass is different than gm or ford products and requires the lock strip trim piece to hold it in { at least until the goop is set up } so get your window trims polished before you start or take some 0000 grade steel wool to it yourself and clean it up real good the same goes for if your re-using the rubber seals get some enamel reducer or thinners and rub all the old goop off this works real good and brings the rubber back to a nice clean black but is real messy work you will ruin your clothes and have black hands for a week but I was able to re-use my 40 year old seals and they look great.
P.S. you don't use glue you use a butyl based windshield sealant that firms up in a couple of days but still stays kinda gooey for years, that and a nylon plastic window tool is all you need { you have installed the clips right?}

yep clips are in and all the rust has been taken care of. unfortunately I don't have a close up right now.
does the head liner have to be in? I know the dash has to be in for the front one.
I don't think there is any lock strip on these gaskets.

I think I will put the windows in do a leak test and go from there.

Any tips on headliner installation?

10.JPG

Hi Ross, Did you buy new gaskets? If so where did you find them?
Lots of questions from me, but no help I've never installed a window. LOL

yep clips are in and all the rust has been taken care of. unfortunately I don't have a close up right now.
does the head liner have to be in? I know the dash has to be in for the front one.
I don't think there is any lock strip on these gaskets.

I think I will put the windows in do a leak test and go from there.

Any tips on headliner installation?

I like that blue. Anyone know what color?:newb:

It is best to install the headliner 1st if you can. I would install the glass in a very warm area or use a hair drier or heat gun to make the rubber soft enough to work with. I have actually used a frosting spreader and screw drivers to install some over the years,just be carefull not to chip the glass. I also used the 3m windshield sealant

It is best to install the headliner 1st if you can. I would install the glass in a very warm area or use a hair drier or heat gun to make the rubber soft enough to work with. I have actually used a frosting spreader and screw drivers to install some over the years,just be carefull not to chip the glass. I also used the 3m windshield sealant

Hopefully in the nearly four years since this thread was posted he has gotten the glass installed.

-
Back