Help needed! Stock drum? studs on drum? off of different car? 1972 swinger

-
Is the 10.95 inch front disc brake kit on doctor diffs website all i would need to order? Also do you know if they accept debit cards? cause i haven't made a account with them yet. at work so kinda busy.

I have no idea about the debit card thing, I imagine it might depend on the card.

Yes, the 10.95" kit is what you would need to order. Unless you decided to go with 15" rims, in which case you could run the 11.75" stage II kit if you wanted. With the 73+ kit and going from drums to disks you're going to need a lot of stuff, the tapered adaptors, lower ball joints, new master cylinder (disk/drum) and a proportioning/combination valve. So with everything you need it would look like this...

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.40.59 AM.png

Keep in mind though that even with the other conversion kits you'd still need the new master cylinder and combination valve, new hoses, etc. And unless you keep the 9" spindles you'll need spindles.

I have no idea about the debit card thing, I imagine it might depend on the card.

Yes, the 10.95" kit is what you would need to order. Unless you decided to go with 15" rims, in which case you could run the 11.75" stage II kit if you wanted. With the 73+ kit and going from drums to disks you're going to need a lot of stuff, the tapered adaptors, lower ball joints, new master cylinder (disk/drum) and a proportioning/combination valve. So with everything you need it would look like this...

View attachment 1715930184

Keep in mind though that even with the other conversion kits you'd still need the new master cylinder and combination valve, new hoses, etc. And unless you keep the 9" spindles you'll need spindles.
Thank you so much for helping me out on this i really appreciate it! Now one more thing if i get that 10.95 doctor diff kit i think i might just change the front to a 5x4.5 simply because there is a better rim selection. Can you still use the stock hubcaps with some aftermarket rims or no?

View attachment 1715930184

Thank you so much for helping me out on this i really appreciate it! Now one more thing if i get that 10.95 doctor diff kit i think i might just change the front to a 5x4.5 simply because there is a better rim selection. Can you still use the stock hubcaps with some aftermarket rims or no?

Depends on the hubcap. The Wheel Vintiques say they work with the stock 9" dog dish caps...

Wheel Vintiques Wheels Wheels Wheels & Tires - Steel Wheel Material - Wheel Vintiques 63 Series Manufacturers Wheel Series - 5 x 4 1/2 in. Wheel Bolt Pattern (application) - 14 in. Wheel Diameter - 15 in. Wheel Diameter - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

If you're going to do a 5-4 1/2" disc conversion, I'd buy 15" rim to go with it. You have many more tire options and lower prices than what you can get these days in a 14" tire.

If you're going to do a 5-4 1/2" disc conversion, I'd buy 15" rim to go with it. You have many more tire options and lower prices than what you can get these days in a 14" tire.
I could see what your saying but im gonna try to reuse my 14 inch goodrich tires they only have about 500 miles if not less on them. If i dont see much on 14 inch then i guess ill go 15inch.

Sure, I'd try to get the tire sizes right so the car sits with the proper ride height and rake. You'd still have to carry two spares, or use a 15" one if the 14" spare won't fit the front. You'll have to do that anyway if you have a mixed bolt pattern.

Is it okay to do 15 inch on front and 14 in back?

It might look a little weird but it shouldn't hurt anything.

I'm assuming you're going to wait to upgrade the rear to the 5x4.5" pattern and just run the SBP 14's you have in the back?

It might look a little weird but it shouldn't hurt anything.

I'm assuming you're going to wait to upgrade the rear to the 5x4.5" pattern and just run the SBP 14's you have in the back?
The reason i dont wanna change the rear really is because i just changed everything there about a month ago. Drums, shoes and hardware. Oh and another thing sorry, how wide of rims can i get i think if i go over 6 in.it will possibly hit the fenders found 15x6 5x4.5 with 3.75 inch backspace. but idk and how much backspacing do i need? the doctor diff kit dosent say. By the way bluNblu it didn't show me any 14 inchers on your summit racing link but no big deal seems hard to find 14's that fit discs in them anyway. EDIT: im also wondering that dr diff kit only has the option to get the a-body master cylinder with power brakes and i dont have power brakes do i have to buy a different one seperately? Sorry for the question bombing but im learning as i go.

Last edited:
-
Back