Help, Please - Gen III Hemi - Voltage Regulator

-

sprinter6591

Reaction score
I have seen YouTube videos on how to wire a voltage regulator on a Gen III alternator. I am using a Hemi 6 control box and running a carburetor. I do not have a computer on the car. Does anyone have a wiring diagram and voltage regulator suggestions on what you do differently when you do not have a computer? Thanks!

Same as any 70 and later VR, here:

pic2.gif

The top wire marked "ignition" goes to 12 v that is hot in run. Make sure you check it against battery voltage that it has no drop. That hooks to either alternator field connection, and to the bottom left VR terminal as shown

the other alternator field terminal goes to the bottom right VR terminal as shown.

Be CERTAIN the VR is grounded and has a good ground path to the battery

s-l300.jpg

The terminal in the middle / left of the two is ignition
The terminal at far right is the alternator field

Last edited:
Same as any 70 and later VR, here:

View attachment 1715164333

The top wire marked "ignition" goes to 12 v that is hot in run. Make sure you check it against battery voltage that it has no drop. That hooks to either alternator field connection, and to the bottom left VR terminal as shown

the other alternator field terminal goes to the bottom right VR terminal as shown.

Be CERTAIN the VR is grounded and has a good ground path to the battery

View attachment 1715164335

The terminal in the middle / left of the two is ignition
The terminal at far right is the alternator field

My alternator has the plastic plug in for the wires. There’s no determination as to positive and negative. Does it make a difference which one I connect to? Thanks so much for your help!

My alternator has the plastic plug in for the wires. There’s no determination as to positive and negative. Does it make a difference which one I connect to? Thanks so much for your help!
Sorry, please ignore the above reply. I misunderstood your message, but after reading it again, I have it figured out. Thanks again for your help!

Post back if you have issues. No, the field terminals don't matter which/ what. You're welcome

Is the voltage regulator required if you retain the gen3 Hemi alternator, harness, and computer?

-
Back