Help please

-

Trucker cj

Reaction score
I have a 1984 225 slant 6, I just put brand new plugs and wires and everything on it and recently it started acting real Goofy, when I'm driving it down the road I step on the accelerator pedal and I hear an awful wine like a vacuum leak or something but it's not a sucking air sound as more of a whistle but it lets up when I let off the accelerator and it won't do it when I'm just sitting still at an idle it seems like the motor has to be under a load,... I'm freaking out and I need help

I have a 1984 225 slant 6, I just put brand new plugs and wires and everything on it and recently it started acting real Goofy, when I'm driving it down the road I step on the accelerator pedal and I hear an awful wine like a vacuum leak or something but it's not a sucking air sound as more of a whistle but it lets up when I let off the accelerator and it won't do it when I'm just sitting still at an idle it seems like the motor has to be under a load,... I'm freaking out and I need help

Check your carb and make sure all the screws that hold the sections together are tight, and that the base is tight on the intake.
The whistle sound is sometimes a gasket getting air past it.

Check your carb and make sure all the screws that hold the sections together are tight, and that the base is tight on the intake.
The whistle sound is sometimes a gasket getting air past it.
And it seems like the more I push down on the gas pedal, the more power she loses..its real weird

And it seems like the more I push down on the gas pedal, the more power she loses..its real weird

Have you ever experienced a fuel filter that is gradually plugging up?
It starts limiting the fuel at higher throttle first, and then more and more until it works it's way to no fuel at all.

Check/change your fuel filter and check that carb over for being tight.
Grab the top of the carb and twist it one way and then the other and look for ANY movement between the sections of the carb and the carb to intake.

Have you ever experienced a fuel filter that is gradually plugging up?
It starts limiting the fuel at higher throttle first, and then more and more until it works it's way to no fuel at all.

Check/change your fuel filter and check that carb over for being tight.
Grab the top of the carb and twist it one way and then the other and look for ANY movement between the sections of the carb and the carb to intake.

You could have inadvertently hit a vacuum hose and tore or cracked it, could have come off a nipple also. They get brittle over the years and a simple thing like changing plug wires could have caused an issue, so check all your vacuum hoses.

You could have inadvertently hit a vacuum hose and tore or cracked it, could have come off a nipple also. They get brittle over the years and a simple thing like changing plug wires could have caused an issue, so check all your vacuum hoses.
Yeah. I checked a bunch of them hoses yesterday and couldn't really find much wrong it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't losing power when I was driving it

Did you recheck the plugs you just put in to make sure there all bottomed? A lot of times the new problem is the last thing you touched. I had a slant six that ran funny and it was the air filter that was dirty.

Did you recheck the plugs you just put in to make sure there all bottomed? A lot of times the new problem is the last thing you touched. I had a slant six that ran funny and it was the air filter that was dirty.
No I didn't check the spark plugs I did those about a month ago and it was running fine up until 2 days ago

It doesn't hurt to recheck them especially since it ran OK and then began to run bad. One may have backed out just enough to cause a problem. Easy enough to check.

It doesn't hurt to recheck them especially since it ran OK and then began to run bad. One may have backed out just enough to cause a problem. Easy enough to check.
Yup just got done checking all the plugs everything there is good..i might have found the problem in a cracked vacuum line...took it for a spin and it seems to be ok now...i will find out for sure on my way to work tomarrow...i appreciate all the ideas

Yup just got done checking all the plugs everything there is good..i might have found the problem in a cracked vacuum line...took it for a spin and it seems to be ok now...i will find out for sure on my way to work tomarrow...i appreciate all the ideas

You know, it may not be necessary at all but just in case before you take off in it make sure you still have power brakes.
Just in case ya know.:D

My guess is Restricted exhaust
Well..there is a little piece of pipe coming from the catalytic converter and connecting to the smog pump with some sort of check valve and rubber line, that valve burnt out and melted the rubber line and part of the smog pump...so I chopped the rubber end off and put a kink in the pipe sticking out of the side of the catalytic converter so I didn't have an exhaust leak

Well..there is a little piece of pipe coming from the catalytic converter and connecting to the smog pump with some sort of check valve and rubber line, that valve burnt out and melted the rubber line and part of the smog pump...so I chopped the rubber end off and put a kink in the pipe sticking out of the side of the catalytic converter so I didn't have an exhaust leak

Well you gotta ask yourself why that happened........

To test for a restricted exhaust, What I do is braze a foot of brakeline into the exhaust pipe at about a 45* angle, with about an inch into the pipe, and between the cat and the engine.. On the other end I plumb a vacuum line up into the cab and install a low-pressure gauge there. I use a combination Vacuum/ fuel-pump tester. Then I go for a road trip,testing various modes of operation.
4psi is very restrictive. You want to see under 2psi. Between 2 and 3 it's a judgement call.
But at this time you don't really know if the pressure is caused by the cat, or by the muffler, or even by the pipe! So you gotta braze another piece of brakeline in,this time between the cat and the muffler.....and then another road test.
If you are Ok here, then the cat has to go.
But if the pressure is also high here, then replace the muffler first, then retest the cat. Unless;
Unless if you see questionable pipe splices behind the muffler; check those before replacing the muffler.
It sounds like a lotta work, but really it's not,and........ you get to replace only the bad part .......the first time.

Last edited:
-
Back