HELP...Self Adjuster Lever Does Not Ride on Star Wheel Teeth

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
Folks....another oddity for my brakes screwed up by another restoration house. After market pieces used in L/R and lever does not ride on star wheel teeth. Is it one of the following:

(a) screwed up lever
(b) screwed up adjuster/star wheel
(c) too long cable
(d) screwed up cable guide

Wish I had original parts from 1968 Dodge Dart, 9 in brakes. Restoration place threw threw them away. R/R perfect so will diagnose/compare and let you know what I find.

I am inclined to use DORMAN parts. Maybe I can find OEM parts from Bendi????.

You guys have solved all my brake issues. Any thoughts? What brand do you use for replacement of brake parts?? NAPA no go, ADVANCE poor OEM likeness, O-Riley same (brake shoes too wide).

Thx....love Darts and this the last thing holding me up for fun after waiting 37 years for my car to be right!!!!!!!

Thx guys..

9" brakes are a little goofy compared to 10 and larger. Got any picks?

Most of the time when I see that issue, it's the adjuster cable guide is not seated in the brake shoe hole.

Just ran into this. It was only on the driver side. As mentioned above, check that your springs and cables and guides are all properly installed in the correct order. In my case, it took three adjusters to get one whose teeth were "sharp" - the rest looked like they'd been beaten down straight out of the box.

Here's the proper order for everything - note the cable is between the primary and secondary spring up top:
Screenshot_2022-07-22-16-48-16-14_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

My new brakes are a mix of National (hardware), Raybestos (drums), and Power Stop (shoes) - all from Rockauto.

Just ran into this. It was only on the driver side. As mentioned above, check that your springs and cables and guides are all properly installed in the correct order. In my case, it took three adjusters to get one whose teeth were "sharp" - the rest looked like they'd been beaten down straight out of the box.

Here's the proper order for everything - note the cable is between the primary and secondary spring up top:
View attachment 1715959544

My new brakes are a mix of National (hardware), Raybestos (drums), and Power Stop (shoes) - all from Rockauto.
Thank you. I will ck out National hardware at Rockauto.

I have *** N.O.S. *** U.S.A. made ***Brake Hardware for the 9" Applications --- both
1963 - 1968 and 1969 - 1972....
If you would prefer that to the Chineseum crap of the internet......

View attachment 1715959544

[SOLVED] I resolved this issue by finding the wrong
Photos or it didn't happen!
Thank you. I will ck out National hardware at Rockauto.

[SOLVED] After checking all hardware and comparing to R/R brake assembly, I found the adjuster/star wheel to be the wrong type. Star wheel diameter was much smaller, causing lever to ride against teeth, not on top of teeth as designed. Installed correct adjuster/star wheel type and all is OK. The prev restoration shop goofed up again.

Thx for all comments. A Body Forum members are the best.

when i have this issue its usually the new leaver. i dig out the original leaver (if i have it) and use that. seems to fix the issue. it seems the new ones don't have the correct bends to them.

-
Back