Help with 2004R tranny swap

-

Treblig

Reaction score
Well I'm in the middle of installing a 2004R in my '69 Barracuda. It originally came with a 904. I got the 2004R all the way up there but it won't go up high enough (in front) because the round point at the top center of the bell housing hits the underside of the firewall. Tomorrow I plan to remove the tranny and cut off this upper point since I don't need it (normally used on BOP). I'm using a TCI adapter and it has long studs (2" long) that stab into the tranny holes. These long studs keep me from moving the tranny forward enough to clear the firewall. I need the back of the engine to be lower.
MY QUESTION: I have the dist cap off and the rear of the motor has been lowered down to where the oil pan is just touching the drag link...what's the easiest way to make the back of the engine go down past the drag link. Should I raise the front of the engine by disconnecting the motor mounts or simply remove the drag link (exhaust is already disconnected). I need for the engine to tilt down in the rear to stab the tranny because the top of the tranny hits the top of the firewall before I can get it high enough to get the tranny holes to line up with the studs .
Please don't beat me up for using a Chevy trans!!

Treblig

Drag link would be easier that the motor mounts and then having to lift the motor.

Thanks TRAILBEAST but as I lower the back of the engine it seems to stop on it's own as it gets close to the drag link as if the motor mounts are stopping it. I've never done this with a Mopar so I'm not sure what's keeping the engine from dropping at the rear. Do you know for sure if it will drop beyond the drag link if I remove it??

thanks,
Treblig

Hi. You should check the distributer, even with the cap off the body of the distributer could be hitting the firewall. Bobby

Hi. You should check the distributer, even with the cap off the body of the distributer could be hitting the firewall. Bobby

Yes, I checked that. The distributor still has a long way to go before it hits.

Thanks,
treblig

I would guess the the rubber motor mounts have compressed as far as they are going to compress and simply won't go any further. You could maybe lift the front of the engine a little using the motor mounts as the pivot point and possibly get a little more drop in the rear. But you don't want to squash your motor mounts to the point that the rubber ruptures.

I would guess the the rubber motor mounts have compressed as far as they are going to compress and simply won't go any further. You could maybe lift the front of the engine a little using the motor mounts as the pivot point and possibly get a little more drop in the rear. But you don't want to squash your motor mounts to the point that the rubber ruptures.

Thanks, I was wondering if I loosened the bolts that go through the frame would it let the engine tilt further??/ The tranny is going into the car one way or the other!!!

Treblig

Thanks, I was wondering if I loosened the bolts that go through the frame would it let the engine tilt further??/ The tranny is going into the car one way or the other!!!

Treblig

If you have spool mounts then loosening the bolts that go through them will let it tip more.
If you have wafer mounts then loosen the mount to K frame bolts.
That should give you enough.

Suggest you check out the very well detailed installation thread from "Mopar to ya" from 2012:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333&highlight=200r4

I've read and made copies of Mopar to ya's build many months ago. He's the one that gave me all I know. But he put his together on the floor then installed everything already together (engine and trans). I know it will fit if it's already assembled because then you don't have to contend with stabbing the long studs with the motor at a bad angle .
I don't know anyone who installed a TCI, 2004R, 318, auto center console, a body with the engine still in the car??

thanks for your input,

treblig

If you have spool mounts then loosening the bolts that go through them will let it tip more.
If you have wafer mounts then loosen the mount to K frame bolts.
That should give you enough.

I don't know what kind of mounts I have but I do know I have an all original '69 Barracuda with the factory 318/904, A/C, PS, PB.
Today I will loosen the mounts and try again!!

Thanks,
Treblig

-
Back