Help with 413 Build please

-

Abodyman

Reaction score
First off, I hope everyone has had a great holiday, and I wish everyone the best in the new year. Now onto my problem..... I have a 413 RB block that I want to build for my 63 dart. It is a 63 block with high nickel content, and I got for next to nothing, along with heads which are complete. So after doing a little research I've found that getting pistons for the a 413 isn't easy. There are a few companies making some low compression OEM's which I don't want. Some of you out there may be saying, just pick up a 440 it's easier. I agree with that, but I don't have one of those yet, so I'm stuck with the 413. I've done a little research and found that both the 426 RB and the 383 B blocks share the same Piston bore (4.25). My question is, has anyone out there considered boring a 4.13 block from it's 4.187 bore to the 4.25 bore of a 383/426 blocks? I think this is somewhere in the area is about .060 over, which I think is pushing it, yet doable. If I went this route, I believe I'll have a great selection of pistons and compression ratio's available to me. Lastly, is this idea totally far fetched, as I plan on running a 4.15" crank in this engine as well?

First off, I hope everyone has had a great holiday, and I wish everyone the best in the new year. Now onto my problem..... I have a 413 RB block that I want to build for my 63 dart. It is a 63 block with high nickel content, and I got for next to nothing, along with heads which are complete. So after doing a little research I've found that getting pistons for the a 413 isn't easy. There are a few companies making some low compression OEM's which I don't want. Some of you out there may be saying, just pick up a 440 it's easier. I agree with that, but I don't have one of those yet, so I'm stuck with the 413. I've done a little research and found that both the 426 RB and the 383 B blocks share the same Piston bore (4.25). My question is, has anyone out there considered boring a 4.13 block from it's 4.187 bore to the 4.25 bore of a 383/426 blocks? I think this is somewhere in the area is about .060 over, which I think is pushing it, yet doable. If I went this route, I believe I'll have a great selection of pistons and compression ratio's available to me. Lastly, is this idea totally far fetched, as I plan on running a 4.15" crank in this engine as well?
Don't know much about the 413, What I do have is a 440 Block with a K&B stroker Crank, hemi rods, 400 piston, oil pan with milodon oil system, they say the crank has a hair line crack at the snout, it was in a running car 20-years ago when my brother in law bought it it was in a full body 69 charger interior and all was there running 10.20 if interested let me know

Going from 413 bore to 426 is somewhat about .070 over I recall.
In short, a good way to ruin a good engine block.
By the way, what will the machineshop charge you for all this boring?

You might aswell get some proper sized custom forged pistons rightaway. Even more so because you want to stroke the motor, which makes you needing a custom piston in the first place.

Ofcourse there will be folks jumping in here and say you might aswell build a 440 for the same amount of money, but imo being different and able to say you have a 'built' 413 in your car is worth something aswell.

A 63 dated 413 block and heads? Good stash...maybe. Tell us about the heads. Do they have the crossover ports in the middle of the heads where the intake sets? Maybe show us a pic if ya can. Thanks
Small Block

Build it. "Two cool shorts standin' side by side
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a 413
Revvin' up our engines and it sounds real mean"

It's a piece of Mopar history. Dan

Custom forged slugs will be expensive and the off set cost of not going 440, stroker or not.

Can you bore out a 413 .060 to a 383 spec,YES,is it the brightest thing to do with out sonic testing and scraping a great block,NO.If you want the look,just get a 400 block and a 440 crank and do a stroker motor.You can sell or keep the 413 and get great money for it.The 413 motor has a problem due to its small bore,and with certain heads causes very low compression,so a good set up is needed.Since the 400 stroker set up will be better for parts,and eazier to install,due to it being a smaller overall block than a 413,you will still have a 451/452 motor with crazy power.In the end,you will be cheaper,and have more parts access to you than the 413,and you can also do a 383 with a 440 crank to 426.Since you are on here,put a add on and ask for the 400/383 block and see what comes up for you,you might find some member with one in your own back yard,mrmopartech

Thanks for all of the insight guys. I know that if I wanted to bore the block that much, it would need to be sonic checked. I'm not going to look for a 400 block, or a 383 cuz I already have the 413. I will end up getting custom slugs as I've found piston selection is basically no existent. I don't want to build what everyone else has already built, plus my father is about to pull his race 440, and give that to me in a year or so. For now I want to build my 413, for the coolness different factor, and see how it does in my dart. I'm going to check the heads out a little more, and try to get some pics to post up for you all. Again thanks for the advice. As a side note, I never thought about stroking a 318, to a 426, that might be a cool thing to play with as well.

If you are thinking of adding a 4.15 crank, the options for pistons is reduced to customs. They are not much more money than a high quality forged... Maybe a few hundred more at most.

i found some info. also i have an extra 413 if you are interested. it turns over by hand, & the cylinders dont look very worn. i have no idea what is inside. i also have a set of 906 heads.

anyhow here is some info i found:
413 V8 CHRYSLER 1959-79 Top of page

BMD Piston (8) $50.00ea
BMD Ring set $86.52
BMD Main bearing set $75.60
BMD Rod bearing (8) $6.83ea
Connecting rod (exch only) $33.99ea
BMD Cam bearing set $33.08
BMD Overhaul gasket set(4 bolt valve cover)$198.75
BMD Overhaul gasket set
(except 4 bolt valve cover) $127.65
BMD Valley pan gasket set $23.10
BMD Timing chain $22.66
BMD Cam gear (exc 60-63 300 F,G,H,J) $22.50
BMD Crank gear $15.00
MD Cam shaft (except 59-62 300) $159.86
Cam shaft 59-63 300 (exch only
300 E thru J) $147.00
D Push rod (16) $5.00ea
MD Rocker arm (16) specify LH orRH
(except 300 1962 Dodge & Plymouth) $12.60ea
Rocker shaft(2)
(except 1962 300 Dodge & Plymouth) $40.00ea
BMD Valve lifter (16) $6.30ea
D Intake (8) valve $16.22ea
D Exhaust (8) valve $18.39ea
D Valve guide (16) $3.09ea
D Valve spring (16) $4.12ea
MD Oil pump 1959-61 $99.75
MD Oil pump std pressure 1962-79 $105.00
MD Oil pump hi pressure 1962-79 $120.75
B Oil pump kit $39.38

Basic overhaul kit except 59-62 300 B $1018.17
(Basic Kit include all items with B)
Master overhaul kit except 59-62 300 M $1399.95
(Master Kit include all items with M)
Deluxe overhaul kit except 59-62 300 D $1750.73
(Deluxe Kit include all items with D)

http://www.kanter.com/p24-mon.html#mo30 is the site i got that from

Are the BMD pistons cast or forged? As for boring a 413 to a 426 the factory did it. You will find some 413s that have been overstamped 426. All the pistons I've found are cast (stock stroke). The forged ones go for around $800.

If compression is no problem just build a Max Wedge.

Ultimately I'm going for a max wedge build. That is what I want. As far as heads are concerned, I'm planning on running a set of 3rd generation Fred Brewer heads, so I'm good on that end...... Also Moparlover, thanks for the link and the information. I may have to give you a call to come check out the 413 you have.

Ultimately I'm going for a max wedge build. That is what I want. As far as heads are concerned, I'm planning on running a set of 3rd generation Fred Brewer heads, so I'm good on that end...... Also Moparlover, thanks for the link and the information. I may have to give you a call to come check out the 413 you have.

Do you have the heads already? I know someone with 3. Two are a matched set and the third we've never seen before. It has cast in rocker pedestals. It's a bit of a misnomer. We either wanna find a match or sell that one.

I was told the blocks were thick as hell. this was because they were built for use in bread trucks and such. Seems I heard the 426 wedge and 413 were the same casting. Sonic testing would tell the tale. wouldnt it be cool to have a 426 street wedge.Larry Shepard himself stated its safe to bore the62 and 63 blocks .070. Just have it sonic checked for core shift.

Did dey put the breadtruck blocks in the Imperial two? How thick IS hell?

Somewhere i read they could go .100 so the high mileage bread trucks coul go thru multiple rebuilds.

I've bored out a later model 413 truck block to 426. Stuffed in some max wedge pistons I had lying around, haven't had any problems yet. It is a bit of metal to take out, but remember, that's how they made the 426 in the first place. And from what i've seen, good 426 pistons are easier to find than 413 pistons.

For what its worth though, I did all the machine work myself, so I know it was done right. I wouldn't let anyone less than reputable take that much out of an engine.

Thanks,D.D!That is sex to the ears! The mopar that got me hooked was a 70 R/T Challenger with a Max Wedge,Turbo Action and 4.88s out back.That car was nuts.!

All of that is good to know, I may be looking for max wedge pistons instead of 413's, also I do have the brewer heads and they are a matched set. Thanks for asking.

I've bored out a later model 413 truck block to 426. Stuffed in some max wedge pistons I had lying around, haven't had any problems yet. It is a bit of metal to take out, but remember, that's how they made the 426 in the first place. And from what i've seen, good 426 pistons are easier to find than 413 pistons.

For what its worth though, I did all the machine work myself, so I know it was done right. I wouldn't let anyone less than reputable take that much out of an engine.

How much cylinder wallthickness did you end up with?

A 413 rb block / forged crank is exactly what I am putting togather for my 68 Dart GT. Kitlers Machine Shreveport La. machining the block .070, custom 426 forged pistons from Diamond Pistons. 800 Holley Speed Demon resting on top of Edelbrock RPM manifold. 10 - 10.5 compression , forged rods , Kitlers balancing rotating assembly , Lunati Voodoo cam 513/533 lift 286 duration. Diff 8.75 w/ 4.10 489 case suregrip ,727 auto tranny. I have spoken with several mopar frantics , no problem with building a 413. 440 are some what easy to fine in Louisiana, just unwilling to shellout the 900 - 1100 $ for a junk yard fine. Remember there is a reason they are in a junk yard.

Please post more as you go on with this as I would love to see what you do here. I am building what I hope will be a low buck car from a 70 dart swinger with my 16 year old son. I started with pulling the car out of a field where it had set over 20 years, paid $250 for it. took our time making our own replacement floor pan patches as we waited to see if we could get a title. We now have the title in hand and think leaving the stock 198 /6 out is a good idea, we have a 413 out of a 65 300. It is a replacement block with 68 date code and little other markings. It has been sitting for nearly 30 years full of drain oil and turns by hand, so we think it will be usable. I have heard many say to just use a 383, 400, 440 etc, but like some of the other guys said here, there is something sexy about the 413! Please do keep us informed.

Thanks

Hey guys I'm glad to see this thread is still alive. I haven't done much other than gather a few parts here and there, but I did discover that AnA makes a replica max wedge intake that bolts up to the smaller ports of Rb wedge style heads. I've seen them used on a car craft 440 engine build, that made decent power. The good thing about this intake is that it flows nice with 906 or any of the other stock port heads out there due to the port size being smaller than the max wedge intakes (which are hard to find). I'm planning on getting this intake, and possibly putting my 413 together, using a stock crank (I'm rethinking the stroker idea), time and money will determine the final build, but at least I got to share my ideas with you all. Oh I also picked up a very nice A833 so some progress is being made.

-
Back