Help with removing stuck pinion yoke

-
I repaired a racecar diff that ran low on oil, (roundy- round)
The brgs were literally fused to the pinion.
Case hardened bearing pieces came off in chunks with pieces of the pinion gear attached.

Last edited:
If the gear ratio is the same for both housings just switch the sure grip section for the open. Remember, the ring gear needs to be removed from the open and put onto the sure grip unit. The ring and pinion are a matched set.

The way i understood it, he's just trying to fix a pinion seal leak, not do a major overhaul or gear swap.
If he ends up having to press out the pinion shaft he will have to take it that far apart. Or he could put the sure grip unit in the open housing if he can’t get the yoke off the housing that is leaking.

The way i understood it, he's just trying to fix a pinion seal leak, not do a major overhaul or gear swap.
Well it turns into that if he cant get the yoke off, or at least hell need a crush collar kit right?

Well, I'm still defeated .. tried the two jaw puller again, loaded it up, smacked the end of the puller, smacked the back of the yoke, no luck, did it again with oxygen acetyl heat, no luck, did what dr diff said and took out the sure grip unit and put the carrier on blocks in a press and applied pressure, no luck, used that method with heat, no luck, I didnt have time to build the tool suggested, ( well actually if I had used all the time wasted so far I would have , lol) BUT I didnt as I felt confident the dr diff method would work, Soooo...I left the damn thing in my press at work with penetrating oil for the weekend under pressure maybe some magical force will push the damn thing out!

20210514_180032.jpg

As per comments above we are actually switching from 321 open to 373 SG but I guess we could switch the ring gear from the open on to the SG and swap that out but we would prefer to change the gears / entire chunk.

Well, I'm still defeated .. tried the two jaw puller again, loaded it up, smacked the end of the puller, smacked the back of the yoke, no luck, did it again with oxygen acetyl heat, no luck, did what dr diff said and took out the sure grip unit and put the carrier on blocks in a press and applied pressure, no luck, used that method with heat, no luck, I didnt have time to build the tool suggested, ( well actually if I had used all the time wasted so far I would have , lol) BUT I didnt as I felt confident the dr diff method would work, Soooo...I left the damn thing in my press at work with penetrating oil for the weekend under pressure maybe some magical force will push the damn thing out!

View attachment 1715737570

If it wouldn't move in that press, you gotta problem. Although, wouldn't it work better to support the "whole thing" somehow by the under side of the yoke?

And I thought only these kind of things happened to me!. Hope that magic happens over the weekend.

Rusty, you are correct, it would work a heck of a lot better IF only I could support the yoke, I tried, I put the carrier up from the bottom of the press rails and had the upper part poking up through the rails, I wanted to put a bearing splitter tool around the yoke so I could support it on the rails and press on the pinion but the carrier wouldnt fit through the rails enough to do it, so frustrating and demon, I think the reason I like watching episodes of Roadkill so much is to see that these kind of issues do happen to other people! Lol I'm getting close to cutting the yoke off, but I dont have a spare and didnt want to rob the one from the open carrier currently in the Duster so we could have a complete drop in spare, good news is I have time as the open one in the car now works fine.

Rusty, you are correct, it would work a heck of a lot better IF only I could support the yoke, I tried, I put the carrier up from the bottom of the press rails and had the upper part poking up through the rails, I wanted to put a bearing splitter tool around the yoke so I could support it on the rails and press on the pinion but the carrier wouldnt fit through the rails enough to do it, so frustrating and demon, I think the reason I like watching episodes of Roadkill so much is to see that these kind of issues do happen to other people! Lol I'm getting close to cutting the yoke off, but I dont have a spare and didnt want to rob the one from the open carrier currently in the Duster so we could have a complete drop in spare, good news is I have time as the open one in the car now works fine.

That's exactly the way I was thinking to do it.......but I don't know if a bearing separator would be strong enough. I was thinking like maybe two 1/2" metal straps right under the back of the bolt holes.....but if it won't fit up through the bottom far enough, that lets that out. dammit man.

"How much" pressure did you put on it? I mean.....are you trying to save the pinion gear?

Starting to look like this is a bear..are you going to mess things up heating and beating? may be time for a break?

I think the hydraulic part of the press is 12 ton? So not super big but I would think that's still lots of pressure? I am wanting to save the pinion , the whole idea on this " little " project was to swap a 323 open for a 391 SG so we have more gear and two tire fire, then of the threads on the pinion are going to need some attention after all this but nothing I cant clean up, as for how much pressure, well like I said it's a 12 ton press and I was pulling pretty hard, not sure if I maxed or not, and as for heat as I said in previous post I already have used lots of Oxy/ Acly heat on the yoke while I was pulling, pressing, snaking, I mean this thing is STUCK!

BTW, I have taken a break, as I said above I left the this at my works shop under pressure and will get back at it next week so just at home now working on my 56 Dodge truck at least I'm making headway on this project!

20210502_213201.jpg

I think the hydraulic part of the press is 12 ton? So not super big but I would think that's still lots of pressure? I am wanting to save the pinion , the whole idea on this " little " project was to swap a 323 open for a 391 SG so we have more gear and two tire fire, then of the threads on the pinion are going to need some attention after all this but nothing I cant clean up, as for how much pressure, well like I said it's a 12 ton press and I was pulling pretty hard, not sure if I maxed or not, and as for heat as I said in previous post I already have used lots of Oxy/ Acly heat on the yoke while I was pulling, pressing, snaking, I mean this thing is STUCK!

That's 24,000 pounds that is, IF it's rated accurately. You'd think that would "free somethin up" or break somethin. lol

I agree, BTW, just cause I was curious I went back to my work today, it hadn't moved, smacked the yoke a couple times, released pressure and reapplied....still stuck

If it wouldn't move in that press, you gotta problem. Although, wouldn't it work better to support the "whole thing" somehow by the under side of the yoke?
I think that
I think that the yoke is supported by the outer bearing, outer race and then the case itself. I’d
put the pinion nut back on but not tighten it all the way up. I’d leave it loose enough so that the end of the shaft isn’t exposed. That way the threads don’t get ruined and the pinion doesn’t get damaged. Then take it to someone with a bigger press and press the crap out of it.

Its out! Well after sitting two days under pressure it was still stuck, so I took the damn thing to a auto shop down the road from my marine shop, because this guy works on lots of old cars, I figured it was time for a fresh approach, two hours later he told me to come and get it, he said he had a special puller he uses on stuck pinions any way he wouldnt even charge me plus he leant me a die to clean up the threads I buggered up on the pinion which I am working on now, he is a pretty stand up guy! Obviously I'll get him something to drink or something as he really helped me out, looks like I'll probably put new bearings in now , thanks for all the great ideas and encouraging words well I worked through this.

-
Back