Help!

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok need some help! I have what I believe to be a DC BB K frame with spool mount. They motor mounts are pulled of a 440 I was told was pulled from a C body. The Driver side mount hits the mounting area for the steering box.

Attachments

• motor mount.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 166
if im not mistaken , all BB spool mounts are the same. those are the exact set I have seen every one use for A body swaps, B E C body Big blocks. are you sure you have it at the right angle the motor is actually going to sit? does it line up in any position?

do you have a small block mount you can stick in there and see if it works?

It does if I bring the mount up to the top of the motor mount.. Ill get a photo. because you are right they dont sit straight down in there

Do you have the mounts on the correct sides?Just asking...it happens.On a second note Josh,about the bet....lol..my trans is in : )

Ok i think i have found the issue but not sure it should be an issue. 73 is right they fit at an angle not straight up and down. I think if i were to trim that area in the red make it straight it would solve my issue?

Attachments

• motor mount3.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 146
  • motor mount4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 143
  • motor mount5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 154
  • motor mount6.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 152
do your best to isolate the mount from the k member other wise it will feel like a solid mount LOL it looks like a little trimming and you will have it.

Yes, that area in red needs to be cut out. In the original literature (which I have not seen, just had been told to me) that area may or may not have to be cut out. I do it on every DC k-member that I build just because that's the easiest time to cut it.

Also, that IS an original DC part and not homemade (there are telltale signs). The mounts only fit one way (the one with the long bolt is the driver side).

Yes, that area in red needs to be cut out. In the original literature (which I have not seen, just had been told to me) that area may or may not have to be cut out. I do it on every DC k-member that I build just because that's the easiest time to cut it.

Also, that IS an original DC part and not homemade (there are telltale signs). The mounts only fit one way (the one with the long bolt is the driver side).

Thanks for the reply Jim. I PMed ya because I knew you had done quite a few of these. I did cut some out and it fits better but... the poly bushing is so think around it actually hits on the steering box. I may have to trim the new mounts but not really wanting to. Jim do you have a photo of that area that you have trimmed?

Check out this page. One of the pics seems to show it pretty good. It can get close to the gear. The one DC k-member that I had my hands on back in 1988 was really poorly built and likely had similar issues. One thing that can help is to leave the mounts loose on the motor and tighten everything up after the mounts are in the saddles. I haven't run the poly inserts yet, but at least one of the guys at BBD has.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dck.shtml

-
Back