Help

-

1972trucks

Reaction score
I have 73 Duster 340. It is all numbers car. The motor is fresh rebuild. All of the electrical has been replaced along with distributor, coil, ECM, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, literally everything. Carb has been rebuilt. Getting spark. Rest timing multiple times but only get a backfire either through the carb or exhaust. Just about ready to give up. Anyone any thoughts before it goes to professional shop that will cost me a small fortune?

Backfire through the carb means your timing is retarded. Initial timing should be set between 12-16 degrees BTDC. 65'

I begin by running the engine up to TDC on compression stroke of
#1 Cylinder (Plug out). Make sure rotor is pointed right at # 1 .
Next I move engine to what ever I want timing to be on dampener the
turn the distributor advancing it til I hear a click. that gets me close
enough to fire the engine.

Sounds like you may have the distributor 180 out. Start with what GTX JOHN mentioned.

Sounds like you may have the distributor 180 out. Start with what GTX JOHN mentioned.

I have put the timing mark to zero. Made sure the rotor is pointing to #1. Cranked over a few times and rechecked it.

I begin by running the engine up to TDC on compression stroke of
#1 Cylinder (Plug out). Make sure rotor is pointed right at # 1 .
Next I move engine to what ever I want timing to be on dampener the
turn the distributor advancing it til I hear a click. that gets me close
enough to fire the engine.

I have put the timing mark to zero. Made sure the rotor is pointing to #1. Cranked over a few times and rechecked it. Mae sure all plug wires are right. May go on and replace the carb with a new one

I have put the timing mark to zero. Made sure the rotor is pointing to #1. Cranked over a few times and rechecked it. Mae sure all plug wires are right. May go on and replace the carb with a new one

Timing mark lines up at TDC compression stroke & TDC intake stroke... So unless you either pull the plug & feel for compression or pull a valve cover & watch the rockers you have a 50/50 chance of catching the compression stroke by lining up the timing marks...

I agree as this happens quite often. Rotate the rotor 180 deg then reset the timing.

This is exactly what happens when it's 180 out.

Agree with the folks folks who said 180⁰ out. Pull the distributor up an inch, rotate the rotor 180⁰ and bolt it back down. Try it.

Timing mark lines up at TDC compression stroke & TDC intake stroke... So unless you either pull the plug & feel for compression or pull a valve cover & watch the rockers you have a 50/50 chance of catching the compression stroke by lining up the timing marks...
THIS!!

I can never figure out where the forums are.
upload_2022-7-23_17-49-10.png

Right here. Click on it for the full list.

This is a 4-stroke motor! There are 2 times in that cycle that the piston is at TDC. You have the wrong one.

-
Back