Hemi , 440 or supercharge small block?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Decided to go a different direction with the 67 cuda.

Going to go big street horsepower but not sure if I should go with a hemi or a 440 based big block stroker with option 3 keeping my current 360, lowering the compression and adding a pro charger set up.
Keeping in mind it will take roughly 5'years to build as I collect parts.

Any advice or opinions real or fake?

Just for fun......what say you?

Currently pushing roughly 450 horse 11.0-1 366 cubed small block.

I'd like to get to the 550-600 hp range.

Don't know what you budget is but Paxton makes a nice under hood supercharger for a small block.
Drop the compression and have reliable HP without breaking the bank.
Give them a call.

stroke it ! stroke it ! that will put you in the ballpark , if you want to throw money for cool I would go SMPI , 550 - 600 is getting to be the standard for strokers .

6 of 1, half dozen of another.

I think that decisions like this need more info. We already see the horsepower range you'd like to hit, but are there any other criteria?

A roots style blower has the WOW effect. Some guys prefer to keep everything under the hood.

Some guys want a 'sleeper' that takes everyone by surprise when it comes to life.

If budget is a concern then the parts that you already have available becomes a factor.

If your question is 'which would we prefer?' then I tend to go for as much WOW as I can fit in my budget for a car that doesn't get driven long distances.

I like 'old school' but some really decent mileage can come from high horse late model motors. If I was going to put mega miles on the car I would look at the 3rd gen hemis. - WOW factor plus acceptable economy.

I would choose the direction based on the planned usage. Right now most of the longer trips we make are in our blah vehicles because my favorite ones are too thirsty.

HEMI HEMI HEMI!!!! Old school big block. Big cam big carbs.

Oh No! Now the car I said I would own one day is getting a engine makeover...:violent1:.

Guess i'll take the Hemi then. Gen II please...:)

I also have a 366, 10.7C/R, maybe 425hp or so.I agree with you on the boring part. Every spring I take her out for a spin and when I get back, Im grinning hard. Its like man this thing goes. Then a couple of weeks later, Its like; I thought this thing had more power. Then by mid June; its Man I need more power.So I park it for a week or so. Then its spring all over again.
-Anyway, if I were to do it over, I would build a torquey small block and turbo it. Maybe even a 318, and twins, staged. Id want it to pull right off idle and break 295s loose at 35 or 40 mph with 3.55s in Drive, and pull mid 11s or so, and then get near 20+mpg in O/D. In other words that 318 should think its a BB in the torque dept, and pretend its a slanty at the pump, and a bigfathemi on the big end.
-Kinda like the Buick GNs.
-Thats my dream, anyway. EFI would be a bonus.
-I got about 3 or 4 of those 318s. Id just crank up the boost til I get scared, or something blows. Then drop another junkyard dog in there, and start over.I got a couple of 360 cores too, if I need more. I wish sometimes I was 20 yrs younger.
-Im actually pretty happy with my sbm at 425ish.Except for the fuel mileage. Something like 80% or even 90% of my driving is either getting to somewhere or driving around when I get there. I guess I could be happy with a lowly 273 with staged twins. I think I have one of those buried around here somewhere. Probably cheaper to build up a 318 tho.

F2 procharged gen 2 efi'd stroked real hemi. All aluminum. Opps, that's my x275 beast. Never mind! Procharge and fast efi that small block.

If all you want is 100 extra HP or even 200HP there are cheaper ways to do it than adding a 5k+procharger or bulding a 8K+ big block.
If I could buid a dream motor it would be an aluminum hemi 540 to 572 with a f3R-136 steve morris engine or a 600 proline twin turbor hemi.

I'm partial to the blower route seeing as I have a blown 340. Here are the pros to sticking with the smallblock. Number one is fit. Number two is you already have most of the parts. These are very big considerations. I prefer the roots blowers as evidenced by my Dyers 6-71 but the procharger type setups do make big HP and TQ.

No matter which way you go it will cost a few dollars. I pieced mine together over a 2 year period and my total cost was right around $4000, that included all the machine work and parts. So it can be done relatively cheap.

Jack

I'm partial to the blower route seeing as I have a blown 340. Here are the pros to sticking with the smallblock. Number one is fit. Number two is you already have most of the parts. These are very big considerations. I prefer the roots blowers as evidenced by my Dyers 6-71 but the procharger type setups do make big HP and TQ.

No matter which way you go it will cost a few dollars. I pieced mine together over a 2 year period and my total cost was right around $4000, that included all the machine work and parts. So it can be done relatively cheap.

Jack

This is pretty much what My budget will allow although an all aluminum fuel injected hemi would be my dream motor but it's just that, a dream.

I also have a 366, 10.7C/R, maybe 425hp or so.I agree with you on the boring part. Every spring I take her out for a spin and when I get back, Im grinning hard. Its like man this thing goes. Then a couple of weeks later, Its like; I thought this thing had more power. Then by mid June; its Man I need more power.So I park it for a week or so. Then its spring all over again.
-Anyway, if I were to do it over, I would build a torquey small block and turbo it. Maybe even a 318, and twins, staged. Id want it to pull right off idle and break 295s loose at 35 or 40 mph with 3.55s in Drive, and pull mid 11s or so, and then get near 20+mpg in O/D. In other words that 318 should think its a BB in the torque dept, and pretend its a slanty at the pump, and a bigfathemi on the big end.
-Kinda like the Buick GNs.
-Thats my dream, anyway. EFI would be a bonus.
-I got about 3 or 4 of those 318s. Id just crank up the boost til I get scared, or something blows. Then drop another junkyard dog in there, and start over.I got a couple of 360 cores too, if I need more. I wish sometimes I was 20 yrs younger.
-Im actually pretty happy with my sbm at 425ish.Except for the fuel mileage. Something like 80% or even 90% of my driving is either getting to somewhere or driving around when I get there. I guess I could be happy with a lowly 273 with staged twins. I think I have one of those buried around here somewhere. Probably cheaper to build up a 318 tho.

The scenario you illustrated is spot on.:D
It has plenty of power but I want it to scare me....lol.
It already scares my Wife but to me it's a tame kitten especially with the vaccum secondaries.

speed cost money

there are 10 ways you could go but they all will cost you, barbarian

1. gen iii with kenne bell twin screw supercharger,allowing you to keep stock compression ratio lol. has liquid cooling optionand air-to-water intercooler.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/1407-kenne-bell-twin-screw-supercharger-kits/

2. if you have $75k+ get a goodwin 650 c.i. hemi. good night.

3. you can do cheaper gen 3 supercharger builds, which add about 7 to 8 lbs boost. should get you 550 hp or so.

all the gen 3 options will require hemidenny kit etc.
there are a ton of different supercharger options and stuff for the gen3's now. all kinds of stroker kits yadi yadi yadi. lots of money to be spent!

4. gen 2 hemi you are looking at 700 - 900 hp on pump gas but also a $15k - $20k bill

5. stroked 440 or 400 you are looking at probably a $10k cost.

6. turbo small block 360 you will have a lower cost but be ready to fab & weld. etc.
watch out overdoing the boost.

7. supercharge small block but again watch out for too much boost.

8. keep what you got get the heads ported, & some springs for a little more lift. swap to efi you can get more power out of your current build.

9. keep what you got and run it. build another on the stand.

10. do nothin just run it :D save your money for trips and stuff & send cool gifts to all your homies on fabo

5 years is a long time out remember life events happen and changes things real quick

I'll throw my thoughts into this mix based on your ideas of what to do with the cuda amd 5 years. I have a 1967 fastback barracuda and I am now 5 years later after I hit the fork in the road with what drive train I wanted to use at the same goal horsepower range.

I say keep it a street weapon with the small block and obviously add a supercharger. I think you would prefer to only make your car better in every driving category, (handling, acceleration, stopping distance, top speed, all at the same time without sacrificing 1 or the other for 1 or the other) Make sure that your 360 will handle a 250 shot of nitrous on top of the blower and there you have the ultimate mopar a body street car.

But hey, an engine is an engine.

An all aluminum engine is an all aluminum engine.

You can have the dream with a nice 2002 corvette z06 Ls6 engine that will fit in that barracuda and have the capacity to over power that aluminum hemi on the cheap. MoPar forgive me!

I've always been partial to 440's for the cubes but in a Dart or Duster a blown smallblock would get my attention.

But hey, an engine is an engine.

An all aluminum engine is an all aluminum engine.

You can have the dream with a nice 2002 corvette z06 Ls6 engine that will fit in that barracuda and have the capacity to over power that aluminum hemi on the cheap. MoPar forgive me!

I'd rather have a slant/6"motor in it than a corvettes motor.

Since you plan on spending some $$$$, and you want some power, why not go supercharger gen 3 Hemi for power, economy & reliability so you can actually drive it once you spend the money.

On the fence about my Dart, want to get away from the 110 that it needs with the iron heads, so do I keep the 340 and do it for a 4th time or change up to a 6.4 crate

It is your car and you need to decide what works best for you

Any option you listed would be cool, but how much power does one really need?

Blowing the tires away at will might be fun for a short time, but my daily driver does it with my crappy winter tires (yes I need to upgrade them) but it sucks to go to accelerate and the damn thing just spins the tires or worse comes around on me turning a corner

-
Back