Hemi Dart Clutch Issues

Discussion in 'SUPER STOCK HEMI Barracuda and Dart forum' started by jpharley, Nov 2, 2018.

1. jpharley

jpharley Active Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    4:07 PM
    Hi, anybody tried to put a hydraulic T.O. bearing on a Hemi Dart? I am stumped as to where to put the Master. I have a completely stock clone and hate to mess things up too badly. The stock clutch linkage with a std T.O. has very little adjustment available and as it sits, flexes when the pedal is depressed. The bearing has to ride on the clutch fingers to allow it to fully disengage. And when things heat up...well nothing works right. Ideas????

2. Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    6:07 PM
    With the current linkage, what is flexing?
    Is this a Borg & Beck 3 finger style?
    Are you sure you have the correct parts?
    Do you have any loss motion in the linkage?

Several folks have posted nice examples of their hydraulic set up. Worth a search in the drivetrain posts.

3. jpharley

jpharley Active Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:

It is a McLeod Twin Disc, Diaphragm style. The parts are all correct. TTI headers, therefore modified Z Bar from TTI. The engine actually torques when the pedal is depressed. But the issue is that I can't get enough throw to release the clutch with any free play on the pedal, the TO bearing is riding the pressure plate all the time. I'm talking with McLeod so may get some ideas there.

4. mbaird

mbaird mbaird FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    5:07 PM
    RST or RXT ?

5. Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    I understood that. If you have room to back it off HR had a mod that could be done to provide more departure. The article may explain your issue...…..
    Four-Speed A-Body Clutch Pedal Adjustment - Torque Shaft Rod - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Maybe one of these could help...….
    Torque Strap Installation

6. HemiDenny

HemiDenny HDK Suspension FABO Gold Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    The Butch Leal Hemi Duster has the mod to the clutch pedal and the clutch shaft (TTi) frame position has been relocated (slightly) to match the modified bellhousing mount.
    It has plenty of pedal and no flexing. It does have brackets that attach the frame to a brackets on a modified scattershield to act as a mid-plate and the motor has elephant ears.

I also just added a hydraulic clutch / twin disc Mccloud ram clutch/ pressure plate to a 72 Dart / FHO Hemi (StageII) build. I do not see any way possible without doing some minor modification to your firewall and fenderwell. The firewall needed to be slightly modified to mount the "universal" hydraulic clutch slave cylinder bracket and the fenderwell had to be "dented" to clear the fitting / line that goes to the throw-out bearing. There is a procedure when installing the throw out to make sure it rides approx .250 off the pressure plate.

For a more period correct look and no firewall and fenderwell mods....I would recommend the TTi clutch crossshaft with minor component mods in lieu of body mods.

7. jpharley

jpharley Active Member

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    Thanks for your reply HemiDenny. I did not think there would be any way to get the Hydro clutch to work on a stock firewall car. Thanks for your input.

Is there any way you could get a photo of the Butch Leal Duster setup? I have a Quick Time bellhousing and the TTI Zbar...just not much throw on the pedal. I did lengthen the pedal rod to 6 inches pin to pin as the HR article mentions. Kinda out of ideas.

8. HemiDenny

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    I can text / e-mail some pics....Pm me your info

I run the Borg / Beck 3 finger style on the Flash, but I cannot see the twin disc to be an issue.

does your clutch pedal bottom out on the floor / stop when hooked to the clutch cross-shaft, but the cross-shaft not hooked to the throw-out arm adjuster?

does your clutch cross-shaft freely pivot full swing NOT hooked to the pedal or the throw-out arm?....I had to clearance the bell-housing slightly to allow full movement. I wondering if your bell-housing or starter is limiting the full travel of the Z bar

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 7:47 AM
  9. HemiDenny

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    when you mentioned MODIFIED Z bar from TTi.....did you mean you modified it?...if so, how did you modify it?

On the Flash, we use the TTi Z bar (Hemi / A body application) out of the box except change the upper pushrod attaching point from the factory end to accept a 3/8" rod end