Hemi engine swap..is it worth it

-
for what its worth to anyone. I started with a junk yard 5.7 2009 motor for $900. Bought a pair of Eagle heads, changed the cam out to the 6.1, did the usual mds delete etc. I run the prefix intake with Fast efi running the fuel system. it ran really good for what it is. according to my dragy it was low 11 second car. We are making some changes to it now for this fall. Just recently my son machined for intake for port injection and a throttle body. I sold my MSD hemi 6 stuff upgraded to the MS3 gold box, had the heads CNC ported and polished with all new valves and springs, intake as well. we purchased a comp cam push rods and lifters, we plan on spinning this one up past 7k. my sons calcs say we should be at 500hp to the rear wheel.
the car is fun to drive knowing i don't have 15k in a small block on the raged edge.

Plus if you have small block parts and things laying around sell it off to fund the new project. off setting cost is nice on the pocket book

there are shortcuts to this and not one recipe fits all swaps. think it out plan it out accurie as many parts as you can up front before you do it the process can be long but i assure you its well worth it in the end.

Is it easy to delete the mds and what's the a good aftermarket fuel injection set up. I won't have the factory wiring harness or ecm..

I purchased factory 6.1 injectors and fuel rails off of Moparts used. the rails are BBK

when you delete the MDS you have to change the lifters so keep that in mind

I will be running mine by cable as well, Holley Sniper LS throttle body is what you would need, I will see if i can post a picture of mine

Is it easy to delete the mds and what's the a good aftermarket fuel injection set up. I won't have the factory wiring harness or ecm..

It's as easy as unplugging the MDS.
Or since the engine is apart, get the factory block off plugs for the solenoids and remove them. (4 req'd)
Plan on getting new roller lifters for insurance. ALL factory lifters sold today are "Hellcat" for increased durability. Eastcoastmoparts.com has the BEST prices on all factory parts.
Stock Eagle heads flow over 300 CFM.
Consider using the Holley Sniper for tunability or get the factory swap kit (2013 and newer) for about 1500 that includes ready to run ECU, wire harnesses, drive-by-wire gas pedal and power distribution box. The only part with a Performance P prefix is the ECU.
A stock 5.7 Eagle with headers is about 400 honest hp. 385 is stock. Add 40 or so HP with cam swap.
5.7 is about 70 lbs less that a comparable Mopar small block.
Don't consider a carb on a G3. G3's are the future, old school small blocks are the past.

a>

You need the solenoid plugs and non-mds lifters for the delete. Look to see if there is an extra solenoid forward of the MDS solenoids. Directly behind water pump. If present, that would be the VVT solenoid. Thus, an Eagle 5.7.

****, everybody beat me to it!!

You need the solenoid plugs and non-mds lifters for the delete. Look to see if there is an extra solenoid forward of the MDS solenoids. Directly behind water pump. If present, that would be the VVT solenoid. Thus, an Eagle 5.7.

Yes there is one.
****, everybody beat me to it!!

With there intake and computer correct
I run the Prefix intake, similar to the drag pack intake, also i run the MS3 gold box to run the motor. I opted this route because my son decided to do the Holley computer and i bought the gold box from him. I will be boosting this motor soon so the MSD hemi 6 would not have worked for me.

I run the Prefix intake, similar to the drag pack intake, also i run the MS3 gold box to run the motor. I opted this route because my son decided to do the Holley computer and i bought the gold box from him. I will be boosting this motor soon so the MSD hemi 6 would not have worked for me.

Ok not sure what way I'm gonna go yet. Carb looks more old school for sure. Any regret for using carb.

Ok not sure what way I'm gonna go yet. Carb looks more old school for sure. Any regret for using carb.
I can't speak for Kiddart, I Have used carbs on these and they work fantastic. Just like ANY engine combo, you'll have to do some tuning.

I can't speak for Kiddart, I Have used carbs on these and they work fantastic. Just like ANY engine combo, you'll have to do some tuning.
its going to run awesome with a Carb as well , just need to tune it. a wide band afr will help out a bunch.
Just for the record i have turned this car and engine over to my son, its his experiment and so far i am not disappointed. for my son only being 23 he is a bright young man and really is doing well on the engine build side of this hobby. hell he works for a very well known performance shop here in the metro Detroit area, he is there engine block machinist, and these motors have to be right. so the results of our motors are all on him LOL

its going to run awesome with a Carb as well , just need to tune it. a wide band afr will help out a bunch.
Just for the record i have turned this car and engine over to my son, its his experiment and so far i am not disappointed. for my son only being 23 he is a bright young man and really is doing well on the engine build side of this hobby. hell he works for a very well known performance shop here in the metro Detroit area, he is there engine block machinist, and these motors have to be right. so the results of our motors are all on him LOL
Who makes a good carb intake for these. What computer control set up works best with carb. As far as wide band that means I need two oxygen sensors on headers..this has got me intimidated for..hmm

3DD2D595-DEE7-4555-8E5C-3D3A028C8EE4.jpeg
I have the money to do it..either route isn't cheap. If I go la I still need heads, headers , intake carb and so on..I got my hands on a 2014 5.7 for 500 suppose to be a good engine. Never heard it run so I'd probably check out cylinders, bearings and heads before I'd put in. All I want to do is a cam swap and I was gonna do a carb swap for ease of installation but man fuel injection is what makes it sweet..not sure he has the harness though so not sure what to do..Engine is suppose to be dropped off to me today
2014 you say. Since you plan on a cam swap get the MDS delete kit and replace all lifters with the hellcat lifters. Or you’ll be doing this.

View attachment 1715765463
2014 you say. Since you plan on a cam swap get the MDS delete kit and replace all lifters with the hellcat lifters. Or you’ll be doing this.

Yes was just going to get stock 5.7 replacement non mds lifters. Still confused what I'd need to buy as far as aftermarket kit to make it run the best with a carb and intake. I really wanna do swap but man I'm worried I'll get it all in there and can't get it to run or run like it should.

Who makes a good carb intake for these. What computer control set up works best with carb. As far as wide band that means I need two oxygen sensors on headers..this has got me intimidated for..hmm

if you are going to go carb no boost by the MSD hemi 6 to run ignition. for a carb what is your choice? what ever carb you like but i would lean to a holley with mechanical secondary's. that's just my preference. you could go proform as well. what every you are comfortable tuning. I would think no bigger than a 650 cfm, just my guess

Call inertia motor sports or Modern Muscle Extreme. They can help you with the application you are looking for. MMX is very knowledgeable there tech support is great. They sell the all the parts you need. The mark up isn’t much more than anyone else. I’m recommending them because when I did my swap there was very little info in 2009 on the subject. Even now I get confused on all the different combos and feel like I’m going down a rabbit hole doing searches. Those guys know what they are doing.

Don’t throw those MdS solenoids in the garbage. They cost $120.00 each. Be careful taking them out. Ask me how I know….hahaha. You can probably get some money for them.

Before you spend a lot to get a lot of HP Are you just wanting to enjoy driving the car or are you wanting to go to the track and make money from it. My 67 has a pretty much stock 04 5.7 in it with the 545rfe transmission. I drive this car all over the country I take it to the strip once a year for Mopar vs the world for fun. This car hauls *** (to me) and is a fun to drive streetable car it’s less than 400 hp for sure to rear wheels. I have a 6.1 intake on it 2005 ECU and rest is stock. I pulled it from a wrecked truck. Plus I have AC finally.

Before you spend a lot to get a lot of HP Are you just wanting to enjoy driving the car or are you wanting to go to the track and make money from it. My 67 has a pretty much stock 04 5.7 in it with the 545rfe transmission. I drive this car all over the country I take it to the strip once a year for Mopar vs the world for fun. This car hauls *** (to me) and is a fun to drive streetable car it’s less than 400 hp for sure to rear wheels. I have a 6.1 intake on it 2005 ECU and rest is stock. I pulled it from a wrecked truck. Plus I have AC finally.

I won't be going all over the country or running ac. It will be to have some fun on the streets and take to track occasionally. I don't have to hit 500 hp. Would like a cam upgrade while it's being rebuilt.

Although as cost of what I'm adding up I may be better off to just build the magnum I have. It's got 33k miles..was just gonna cam and put heads on it. Easy 425 to 450 hp and still a great engine..choices choices

Yeh I see your dilemma. I figured for a cam and MDS delete and lifters for this 2014 Ram was about 2k. My swap back then cost me about 6k for everything and 5 years. I was on a limited budget and did everything twice it seemed. Good luck in your endeavors.

Yeh I see your dilemma. I figured for a cam and MDS delete and lifters for this 2014 Ram was about 2k. My swap back then cost me about 6k for everything and 5 years. I was on a limited budget and did everything twice it seemed. Good luck in your endeavors.

There is just that damn allure of a hemi under the hood..

-
Back