Hemi engine swap..is it worth it

-
but the Gen 3 may get 2x the mileage.......Those 360's were some thirsty horses!

Definitely thirsty...hemi is at machine shop waiting to hear back if it's a good core. Just wondering if I'll regret it lol..cool factor for sure. Definitely make more power with the hemi..cam swap vs cam swap

Just wondering if I would have to trim my 70 column for hemi valve cover to clear.
Yes. You will have to trim the outter column tube. Like about 2 to 3 inches. When I did the Scamp, I trimmed all the way back to the firewall.

408 rocks! His posts are a perfect example of why this is the best gearhead forum out there. Most everyone on FABO will go out of their way to help anybody who asks. This forum is not made up of keyboard commandos, but is made up of creative, determined, never give up, welding hood in hand, wire strippers in pocket, bondo in a bucket guys/gals that actually do the work with their own two hands. Good luck with your swap 71 Scamp.

408 rocks! His posts are a perfect example of why this is the best gearhead forum out there. Most everyone on FABO will go out of their way to help anybody who asks. This forum is not made up of keyboard commandos, but is made up of creative, determined, never give up, welding hood in hand, wire strippers in pocket, bondo in a bucket guys/gals that actually do the work with their own two hands. Good luck with your swap 71 Scamp.

Yep helluva good group of people on here for sure. Tough decision on doing swap. I'm waiting on word from machine shop on the 5.7. If it's a good core which I think it will be I got a decision to make. Just hate to get the Hemi rebuilt and get install going and have regrets running into issues I can't figure out. Then the whole do I carb it or not. I'd love to have the fuel injection but I'm not the most savvy on new tech. I know old school engines well enough to get them running well.

Yep helluva good group of people on here for sure. Tough decision on doing swap. I'm waiting on word from machine shop on the 5.7. If it's a good core which I think it will be I got a decision to make. Just hate to get the Hemi rebuilt and get install going and have regrets running into issues I can't figure out. Then the whole do I carb it or not. I'd love to have the fuel injection but I'm not the most savvy on new tech. I know old school engines well enough to get them running well.
Just say no carb! Hah! I traded my last super tuned polished carb to a member here in return for a cold beer and hot dog at next race. Obviously I am in the “screw it, do the swap” camp, but I also recognize the trepidation of the unknown. When I started my swap I could not spell EFI. I knew so little about it I had no idea it ran at 55 psi and I needed a new fuel delivery system. I got me a fishing tackle box full of jets and Holly parts with a Vizard book right beside it. And ten grandchildren, to say I am not savvy with new tech is an understatement. Again the beauty of this site is you got a whole bunch of folks that will support your build how ever you do it. We may all be different but the one place we are all the same is in the firm belief of it is your car build it how you want. Kind of like paint, not everybody likes Sublime but I do, so I paint mine that way!

36A956E4-35DE-45EC-978D-43696FD2D505.jpeg

One thing I just remembered, if you do the swap and go carb, you will have to switch the tone ring on the crank. The MSD system only recognizes the early 32 tooth ring. Not a huge deal since the engine is apart anyway.

Ok got another quick question. I should hear back this week on whether engine core is good for rebuild. I'm definitely going the carb route as I love the carb look and will work fine. I'll be running the Hemi 6 for it and was wondering when and if I get it up and running should I get wide band for it...seen a few nice universal ones. Any recommendations. Probably use the OCP intake damn it's expensive extra 200 just to be port matched to eagle heads. Anyone here running a similar combo like this. I haven't had any luck on the carb hemis. Going with the comp cam stage 2

One other watch out is during initial set up when selecting crank be sure you are correct. While my engine was in a 2010 model turns out my crank was 2009. Mother Mopar using whatever parts she had in the floor! Some things never change. I spent a couple hours chasing my tail over that. Had I been thinking I would have sorted it out earlier as I had the same issue with regard to the oil pick up.

One other watch out is during initial set up when selecting crank be sure you are correct. While my engine was in a 2010 model turns out my crank was 2009. Mother Mopar using whatever parts she had in the floor! Some things never change. I spent a couple hours chasing my tail over that. Had I been thinking I would have sorted it out earlier as I had the same issue with regard to the oil pick up.
What does that change if it a 2009 crank. How do I know if it is. Was told engine cane out of a 2014 300 but I wouldn't trust the guy that sold it to me any further than I could throw him.

What does that change if it a 2009 crank. How do I know if it is. Was told engine cane out of a 2014 300 but I wouldn't trust the guy that sold it to me any further than I could throw him.
I used Holley software and so I had multiple options on initial parameter set up portion. The 2010 crank had different “tooth” count then the 2009. In full honesty we did not really figure it out we had just exhausted all other options so decided to go back into set up parameters and select a different crank. I did not connect the dots till later when I was thinking that I had purchased a 2010 oil sump pickup that also did not work, I had to use 2009 version. I was simply not bright enough to remember that till expending two hours chasing my tail on ignition aspect for firing coils.

I used Holley software and so I had multiple options on initial parameter set up portion. The 2010 crank had different “tooth” count then the 2009. In full honesty we did not really figure it out we had just exhausted all other options so decided to go back into set up parameters and select a different crank. I did not connect the dots till later when I was thinking that I had purchased a 2010 oil sump pickup that also did not work, I had to use 2009 version. I was simply not bright enough to remember that till expending two hours chasing my tail on ignition aspect for firing coils.

I think I need the 32 tooth crank gear for the hemi 6 to operate..mine should have the 52 I think

71scamp78
Look again at the years for the Hemi 6 If not mistaken there are two wiring harness to pick from and that would give you the option in the hemi 6 to change to 32 to 52 tooth. Not completly sure as the harness are from 2003 to 2005 then 2006 to 2008 so what is the tooth count on the 2006 to 2008, I would have to search that up and will. just looked it up to 2008 the tooth count on the crank is 32, 2009 and up is 58 tooth., as mentioned before you can buy the tone ring and make it a 32 tooth at Molinar for under $150. just quickly looking for you verify everything i have in this post for your own comfort of course

Has anyone used the mid sump cast aluminum oil pan they sell..likes , dislikes
I am opening a can of worms here but I used a Moroso, virtually no issues. Let the flaming begin! On this forum that is like asking what is best cam choice! Moroso quality at the very least has been suspect of late.

I am opening a can of worms here but I used a Moroso, virtually no issues. Let the flaming begin! On this forum that is like asking what is best cam choice! Moroso quality at the very least has been suspect of late.

Yeah true lol I'll know Monday or Tuesday if my engine is OK for the rebuild so trying to get things in order for the short block. Was either gonna go with the Moroso or try the cast aluminum one. It's pricey but looks nice. Seen some say they had issues with the Morosso.

That aluminum one looks like the cat's ***. My next pan will be that one. That being said, I've never had issues with Milodon. But there **** is all priced separate. By the time you add up the parts your at or exceeded the price of that aluminum one. It looks really nice, hope the fit and finish is as well.

That aluminum one looks like the cat's ***. My next pan will be that one. That being said, I've never had issues with Milodon. But there **** is all priced separate. By the time you add up the parts your at or exceeded the price of that aluminum one. It looks really nice, hope the fit and finish is as well.

That's what I was thinking..it comes with everything so probably go that route. Wish someone on here had actually bought one..seen 0 reviews yet. I may be the test subject lol

-
Back