Hemi heads which ones?

-

skypower

Reaction score
Well I am at a point in my engine build that i need to make some decisions do I replace the valves in my stock 1966 cast Hemi heads or do I replace the heads with new ones any thoughts? This is a pump gas street car that will see an occasional trip to the track, cam is hydraulic, compression 9.5 to 1. If I replace them which ones should I use and why, how much will I pickup with modern heads. Also intake and carb setups or do I go EFI? Want this car to run strong but be manageable on the street. Any help would be appreciated.

Give Tim Banning at For Hemis Only a call. I think more than the heads the rocker gear is much more critical to buy the right stuff. Also note some heads (like the Indys) are taller than stock and may have clearance issues as a result (the engine's wider with them).

NOT MY ADD.... IT is a copy from the original moparts add in the hemi engine for sale section.
brand new sets(in the boxes) of mopar/edelbrock P5153875 aluminum 528 fully assembled heads they come loaded..here are the flow numbers out of the box without a valve job...flow numbers are from jeff at modern....also mike chenoweth told me on his flow bench he had a set do 370cfm....anyway they flow hard....older mp cummings heads did 295cfm,so these are like a 50 horse increase.....$2000.00 firm plus shipping....that is a major deal my mopar friends....also i inspect the heads for core shift,casting flash and flaws....they are all perfect...pm me...down to one set left...when there gone they are gone for good...and never can get these for this kind of pricing again

intake
.1- 81.8
.2- 159.4
.3- 240.2
.4- 306.2
.5- 320.9
.6- 331.7
.7- 338.8
.8- 343.3

exh
.1- 68.7
.2- 135.9
.3- 188.8
.4- 209.3
.5- 198.4
.6- 199.0
.7- 199.0

I saw these over on moparts, and i thought it was a real good deal for new aluminum heads. Maybe this will help you. I know reworking original small and big block heads is very expensive, and i can only imagine that hemi heads would be higher to do.
Matt

Attachments

• 6568383-card003HEMI HEADS.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 272
Thanks guys both good info going take a few days before I make any decisions.

i would go with the Stage V heads... they are only a couple hundred more expensive than the new eddy/mopar heads

AND!

the stage V heads flow better because of a smaller exhaust valve and raised exhaust port...

we just bought a set of these for one of our SS cars and in the end the eddy/mopar heads arn't worth it....

Thanks 805moparkid I think stage V's are what I am leaning towards.

I like the fact that they are chambered and repairable if you hurt them unlike most of the other heads, not that I am a racer this is a street car but I'v never babyied anything so you never know, an ounce of prevention goes along way.

The 57 and 58 Hemi heads were the best.

well yea but they wont fit on a 426... guessing unless he has an original block he is running one of the world blocks?

No kiddin. I was sayin that the 57-58 Hemis were best as well. lol

well yea but they wont fit on a 426... guessing unless he has an original block he is running one of the world blocks?

Yes original block .045 over never hurt will be running 9.5 compression also std std crank original. Have the heads also just trying to decide on new valves etc vs modern designs for better performance and durability.

Original blocks were/are infamous for a weak cylinder wall due to thin casting one cylinder. Not sure which one but sort of remember it as #7. If the block is new to you, you might want have it checked out.

Block has been thru all the appropriate tests and came thru with flying colors, thanks for the info thow.

thats a deal on those heads!!!!....if its not too late..i'd grap a pair....probably history by now

with the compression/camshaft your gonna run ....your motor or your foot would never know the diff between the 2k heads and the 4k heads....your wallet might though!!!

If you need headers I have a new set of hemi shorty.

the Hemi shorty????...who makes em'...what body are they suppose to fit?

the Hemi shorty????...who makes em'...what body are they suppose to fit?

I Had Bought Them For My A Body To Install A 426 Hemi In It Until A SOB (Gary Wilson) In CA Ripped Me Off (And 23 Others That Are Know Of) By Keeping My Down Payment And Never Sending Me Anything.

Attachments

• 0417111929.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 0417111930.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 0417111930a.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 0417111931.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 142
I will keep those headers in mind not exactly sure which way I want to go yet.

Thanks

as usaul....I learn somethin' new...or old... everyday!

-
Back