hey ATV/qaud guys...need some advice

-
That's got to be a record, especially for a quad battery.
What brand was that tough-guy?
Ima guessing Yuasa?

Yuasa and I bought the same for a replacement.

so you need a tuff dependable not to much power but enough and safe that will push a plow for a long time , there is only one bike up to the challenge IMO is a Honda 350 foreman find a 02 03 or 04 in good shape you can't kill them .
Still too big for a 9 yr old !

Have bought a couple Chinese atv's for my son. Honda knock off engines like the old 50 and 110cc engines. Good experiences with both. He rode them both about a million miles. First one was a three speed like the old Z50. Honestly I don't know how it survived. At first he couldn't shift it so he just zoomed around in first gear reving it about 10k. Got him one like this (2nd one) when he was 9. He loved it. They both had remote kill switches and throttle goveners.
Small-ATV-125cc-Beach-Buggy.jpg_640x640.jpg

350 four stroke hondas are tough.
I can say that about the yammies too. Used in a forestry setting, performing tasks you would never imagine.
I would suggest one with a low range,and come up with a way to lock it in until the lad is capable of gandling a little more speed.
There are atv plows that are foot operated or use a lever instead of a winch.
Winch is great, but they destroy themselves if even mildly abused.
A plow that has its own strap style winch stands up quite well.

so this one is a no-go @AJ/FormS ?

Polaris Magnum 325cc ATV 4 wheeler

it looks real well preserved, and the price is right
I know Polaris makes a good snowmobile. They are made in Iowa. Service and parts are easily found. Yes, I prefer Honda's myself, but for 1000 bucks your getting a 4x4 with a blade..... IF it runs good, shifts good, sounds good and the engine and all looks dry, I wouldn't hesitate to give 'em a call. Might he have a title and a year???

I know Polaris makes a good snowmobile. They are made in Iowa. Service and parts are easily found. Yes, I prefer Honda's myself, but for 1000 bucks your getting a 4x4 with a blade..... IF it runs good, shifts good, sounds good and the engine and all looks dry, I wouldn't hesitate to give 'em a call. Might he have a title and a year???
Don't hit nothing with that Polaris snowmobile, they're not known for taking a licking and keep on ticking.

Don't hit nothing with that Polaris snowmobile, they're not known for taking a licking and keep on ticking.
If I hit something with a snowmobile, I hope it's me that keeps on ticking :)

polaris atv's ant been 2 strokes for years and there 4 stroke motors have a great reputation! i like the 2 strokes tho' power like a 4 stroke but a lot lighter weight! pic of my son when he was bout 8 or 9 yrs old on a 400cc 2 stroke polaris! i find polaris very easy to work on an have not had any wiring issues on ether on the 2 i got! now ol honda do run forever but there brakes suxx and there 4x4 is really 4x3!! i wouldn't try pushing snow with anything smaller than a 400cc. go ahead and buy 2 one for you and one for your son, riding trails is great family time!!

popopo.jpg

That bayou 250 is too light to plow well, and unless things have changed recently, it's 2wd.

I don't agree that atv's for kids up to sixteen should not be bigger than a 90 (as the safety councils recommend), but most of the atv's listed in this thread are too much for a sixteen year old unsupervised, and far too large for a nine year old.

When I sold quads, the manufacturer's would routinely send secret shoppers trying to buy oversize quads for kids.

It's not a toy... please reconsider this plan.

I really do apreciate the input and concerns
We have some pretty strickt safety rules at our place (even strickter since he managed to break his arm) and i was hopi g to find something with a low range and a governor to keep him out of trouble
And i understand how his size, and him pushing snow may not be too compatable, but im not expecting him to do any "heavy lifting"
The idea is really more to teach him to work

The bayou and the polaris both sold allready so it it back to the drawing board

polaris atv's ant been 2 strokes for years and there 4 stroke motors have a great reputation! i like the 2 strokes tho' power like a 4 stroke but a lot lighter weight! pic of my son when he was bout 8 or 9 yrs old on a 400cc 2 stroke polaris! i find polaris very easy to work on an have not had any wiring issues on ether on the 2 i got! now ol honda do run forever but there brakes suxx and there 4x4 is really 4x3!! i wouldn't try pushing snow with anything smaller than a 400cc. go ahead and buy 2 one for you and one for your son, riding trails is great family time!!

View attachment 1715276221

NO helmit , too big for him , if it rolls over on him at any speed , he might not survive !!

NO helmit , too big for him , if it rolls over on him at any speed , he might not survive !!

this is how i let him ride
(the KDX is mine, of course)

and i do appreciate your input as well

oh, and he did manage to roll this one too
it turned out that the owner of the property we ride on (with permission of course) had allowed someone to put up several beehives there
we didnt know this, and he managed to knock and run over the first one, but he flipped the wheeler on the second one

it was hilarious to see him run with all those ticked off bees chasing him
but, with his gear on, they only stung him once

20151226_120146.jpg

at that age he never went no faster than ya can walk,..in a flat field with no bumps rutts or potholes! and he wears a helmet, in pic he setting there waiting for helmet to be put on him! his 4wheeler at this stage was a susuki 160cc motor on a 230 frame, yes to big by law but really wont big nuff ether! he now rides a polaris 300 2x4 has for 3 years, he's 14 now, been riding a honda forman at his moms since pic tho'!!

I personally, would not buy anything with a belt-driven CVT. They will drive you into the poorhouse. I have rebuilt,repaired,replaced, and modified hundreds and hundreds of them and there is just no way I would own one. If I won one in a draw, I would immediately sell it to someone not in my family.
That's my opinion .
And Cats have charging system problems all too often. Between a clutch a couple of belts, and a stator, you're in Honda territory.
And Yes old Hondas with enclosed drum brakes, have issues..... but mostly cuz the owners let them sit full of water. Same as their rear axles.
They have drainplugs for a reason! And if water gets in, that's telling you something, get it fixed before it costs money.
Polarises throw CV joints...... because of the extreme working angles, and when it's time to replace one, you come to find out that all the A-arm bushings are worn out too, and the electric front clutches haven't worked for a long long time. By the time you finish paying for that, you guessed it. you couldda had a Honda last year and would now be breaking even, and you wouldn't be feeling like you got taken.
I'm not saying Honda's are perfect,cuz I sold a lotta Honda parts. What I am saying is that, IMO, Honda's are not engineered to self disembowel themselves like most other stuff seems to be, and the labor costs are gonna be lower in the long run. Probably a lot lower.
I'd rather fit myself into a Honda budget by buying something a lil older, than some shiny newer non-Honda,lol.. and the cheaoest in the long-run will have a straight axle in the back, and NO electric-shift, forget that crappy idea. And not a first year 450EFI either; these were out at least a year too soon, and had too many teething problems.

I personally, would not buy anything with a belt-driven CVT. They will drive you into the poorhouse. I have rebuilt,repaired,replaced, and modified hundreds and hundreds of them and there is just no way I would own one. If I won one in a draw, I would immediately sell it to someone not in my family.
That's my opinion .
And Cats have charging system problems all too often. Between a clutch a couple of belts, and a stator, you're in Honda territory.
And Yes old Hondas with enclosed drum brakes, have issues..... but mostly cuz the owners let them sit full of water. Same as their rear axles.
They have drainplugs for a reason! And if water gets in, that's telling you something, get it fixed before it costs money.
Polarises throw CV joints...... because of the extreme working angles, and when it's time to replace one, you come to find out that all the A-arm bushings are worn out too, and the electric front clutches haven't worked for a long long time. By the time you finish paying for that, you guessed it. you couldda had a Honda last year and would now be breaking even, and you wouldn't be feeling like you got taken.
I'm not saying Honda's are perfect,cuz I sold a lotta Honda parts. What I am saying is that, IMO, Honda's are not engineered to self disembowel themselves like most other stuff seems to be, and the labor costs are gonna be lower in the long run. Probably a lot lower.
I'd rather fit myself into a Honda budget by buying something a lil older, than some shiny newer non-Honda,lol.. and the cheaoest in the long-run will have a straight axle in the back, and NO electric-shift, forget that crappy idea. And not a first year 450EFI either; these were out at least a year too soon, and had too many teething problems.

you literally posted this as i was hauling the arctic cat home
i hope you dont think im a jerk for asking for you opinion and then not following it, but i thought the cat fit the budget and my boy better (with the 250 and a governor he can start off slow and grow into it for a while)
and i really do appreciate all the advice ive been given

i ended up paying $1200 for it, which i thought was a good deal, but i guess only time will tell

there was about 3 inches of snow over night so i took her around the pond a few times and she did quite well (but hard to steer straight while going sideways up a hill..if that makes sense)

ill post some pics or vids of the boy up after valentines day (his birthday)
he doesnt know i got it ye, so hopefully it will snow a little more and cover my tracks

-
Back