Hey guys help me choose a cam....hyd roller or solid ?

-

ratbastad

Reaction score
Great SB forum here, lots of good info !!

Ok so I have this little 360 combo in a Street/Strip appn, A body 3300/3400lbs and was really wanting to add the right stick for the combo....

Engine combo is pretty much fixed, a little more CR would be nice but this would necessitate a piston swap and if I do that I may as well swap out to the better RHS heads which I don't want to do atm :-D Prefer to refine what I have till the new engine is finished.

Combo is as follows:

360 + .030"
KB 232s, plasma rings, .040 quench, 9.4:1 CR
Beam polished factory rods, ARP bolts
Bowl/ported J heads,230 cfm @ 28"H2O, max out at aprox .500", 11/32" 2.02/1.60 valves, 1.5 needle rollers.
LD 340 intake, port matched, fabbed oil splash shield under intake, 2" 4 hole spacer for plenum volume
750DP or 830 Holley Annular carb
MSD Digital 6 ign/dist
4-1 1 3/4" headers , 3" collectors
FMRP 727 TF, 3500 stall (have a 4800K stall as well)
4.56 gear, 31 sp Moser axles, Detroit Locker, 29.5" slicks at the track.

Id really appreciate your ideal cam selection for this combo based on what I have. I've used the Cam Quest software but am more interested in all you SB guys with real world experience with the appropriate cams and how/what did they run.

Hydraulic, Solid or juice Roller and what spex, considering the heads/CR/intake/header/gearing combo?

Thanx in advance guys....

Rat

Are you in SoCal? Even if you're not, call Clay Smith. They can hook you up with the perfect cam for your set-up. I like a solid flat tappet but a hydraulic may work for you.
What headers are you running? Hooker Super Comps are 1 5/8" for A-bodies.

For CUSTOM CAMS email or call [email protected] or (714) 523-0530

Clay Smith Cams has been an innovator and on the cutting edge of camshaft performance since Clay Smith ground his first cam in 1931. For over 79 years hot rodders, racers and automotive enthusiasts have been purchasing their high performance camshafts and parts from Clay Smith Cams. Today you can still receive custom ground cams for maximum horsepower for AMC, Ford, Mopar, Jeep, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Volkswagen (VW), Honda, and more including specialty applications such as Ford Flatheads and Buick Nailheads

http://claysmithcams.com/index.php?route=common/home

You are running almost the exact same setup that I am putting in my dart. Other than the 3.91 gears and I am running KB107s. I am going with the Comp Cams XE284H. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=629&sb=0 Many guys have run it here and are happy with it.

Of course mine will be more of a street car. The short block is done and I am just waiting for the heads to be ported. We need to see pics of your car.

get a mechanical cam,much snappier response i have a comp mm series oval grind 243-247@50 549 560 on 108 centers,just the sound scares em off

Thanx for the feedbakc guys....no, Im not in So Cal lol. I was thinking along the lines of these cams for my combo:

Hyd Roller :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chrysler 273-360 Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshaft[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]APPLICATION CAMSHAFTS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VALVE SETTING[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RPM[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OPERATING
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RANGE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAMSHAFT [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PART[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NUMBER[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAM[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GRIND NUMBER[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DURATION[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VALVE LIFT[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ 1.5:1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LOBE[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEP.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ANGLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ADV.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ .050”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HYDRAULIC ROLLER: 3.91+ gears, 9.5:1 compression, 2500+ stall, aftermarket intake, headers. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hyd[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2200-6200[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]60412[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NA[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]282[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]290[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]231[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]239[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].535[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].550[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]110°[/FONT]​

HYD

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chrysler 273-360 c.i. 1964-2003[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]APPLICATION CAMSHAFTS[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VALVE SETTING[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RPM[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OPERATING
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RANGE[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAMSHAFT [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PART[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NUMBER[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CAM[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GRIND NUMBER[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DURATION[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VALVE LIFT[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ 1.5:1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LOBE[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEP.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ANGLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ADV.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ .050”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IN.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EX.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HYDRAULIC FLAT TAPPET:
The most awesome "268" cam ever produced! Out–powers all others! This High Performance street cam likes 2400 RPM stall, 700 cfm carb, dual plane intake and headers. Makes un–equaled power to 6200 RPM with proper valve springs. If you're looking for a Very Strong cam with great street manners for your “Crate Motor“ this is it!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1800-6200[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]60403[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NA[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]268[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]276[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]226[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]234[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].494[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].513[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]110°[/FONT]​

I've chosen these two due to the lower CR and the heads flow plateau at around .500" of lift and Im erring on the milder side of duration @ .050" even though the roller will allow more degrees of duration for the same combo than the Hyd cam will.

I'd prefer the hyd roller to have less lift for the given duration, but if by some chance I drop on a set of ported RHS heas in future, then the lift will be there given the investment in the roller as opposed to a cheap hyd cam :toothy10:

Any thoughts ?

I like the Hyd. roller ya have there over the other cam.....alot!

Hey Rumble,

it aint do much for the lack of zinc in oils - more so prob because I can run a bit more duration without affecting the efficiency of the combo and get some faster valve action. If the heads get swapped out later, I can keep the lifters and swap out the stick more easily hehe.

Would LOVE for someone with a similar combo to popst dyno results/track times if ya got 'em !!

Rat

Great SB forum here, lots of good info !!

Ok so I have this little 360 combo in a Street/Strip appn, A body 3300/3400lbs and was really wanting to add the right stick for the combo....

Engine combo is pretty much fixed, a little more CR would be nice but this would necessitate a piston swap and if I do that I may as well swap out to the better RHS heads which I don't want to do atm :-D Prefer to refine what I have till the new engine is finished.

Combo is as follows:

360 + .030"
KB 232s, plasma rings, .040 quench, 9.4:1 CR
Beam polished factory rods, ARP bolts
Bowl/ported J heads,230 cfm @ 28"H2O, max out at aprox .500", 11/32" 2.02/1.60 valves, 1.5 needle rollers.
LD 340 intake, port matched, fabbed oil splash shield under intake, 2" 4 hole spacer for plenum volume
750DP or 830 Holley Annular carb
MSD Digital 6 ign/dist
4-1 1 3/4" headers , 3" collectors
FMRP 727 TF, 3500 stall (have a 4800K stall as well)
4.56 gear, 31 sp Moser axles, Detroit Locker, 29.5" slicks at the track.

Id really appreciate your ideal cam selection for this combo based on what I have. I've used the Cam Quest software but am more interested in all you SB guys with real world experience with the appropriate cams and how/what did they run.

Hydraulic, Solid or juice Roller and what spex, considering the heads/CR/intake/header/gearing combo?

Thanx in advance guys....

Rat

242-245 @.050 on a 105lca solid FT is what I would use. Kick it forward about 4°. I would use the 750DP before I would use the 830Annular...

Hi Brian...what kinda lift are we talking about here?

Also, I understand the 750 will increase airspeed in the intake, but why this duration and why the 4 deg advance?

I'm just interested in understanding the actual logic behind the cam choice, thats all..

Thanx !!

Rat

Hi Brian...what kinda lift are we talking about here?

Also, I understand the 750 will increase airspeed in the intake, but why this duration and why the 4 deg advance?

I'm just interested in understanding the actual logic behind the cam choice, thats all..

Thanx !!

Rat

The 830 annular carb can pull too much fuel at high rpm. With that gear and tire, you need some rpm and you need power at that rpm. That's why I would run that duration.

Lift would be around 560. The advance is to help kick up compression and get the port flowing as early as possible...

Thanx Brian....:)

I also have a new Hughes HEV solid cam with 245/250 @.050" and .560"/.575" lift with 1.5 rollers, but I felt there too much duration @ .050 for the CR and too much lift which is why I was researching alternatives....your thoughts on using this and setup in the engine?

My inital thought re lift was that at aroung .560" (gross lift not net) there was wasted lift there as the heads dont really flow much past .500".

I figured as much on the 4deg advance re cyl pressure ...thanx !

Id also heard about annular carbs being really rich on the top end.

Which 750 DP would you recommend for this combo ?

Thanx again,

Rat

Thanx Brian....:)

I also have a new Hughes HEV solid cam with 245/250 @.050" and .560"/.575" lift with 1.5 rollers, but I felt there too much duration @ .050 for the CR and too much lift which is why I was researching alternatives....your thoughts on using this and setup in the engine?

My inital thought re lift was that at aroung .560" (gross lift not net) there was wasted lift there as the heads dont really flow much past .500".

I figured as much on the 4deg advance re cyl pressure ...thanx !

Id also heard about annular carbs being really rich on the top end.

Which 750 DP would you recommend for this combo ?

Thanx again,

Rat

What's the lobe center on that cam? If you can swing it, the 950HP holley is one of the best carb's you'll ever find.
Or just the plain jane 750DP is good too. Less $$$.
With that much gear I think you'll get by with that cam. You need power up to 6700rpm so a little cam will be done long before the end of the 1/4!

run a solid cam by fare the best thing you can do, give dave hughs racing a call he make real good cams and can set u up pritty good . and as for carbs get your self a quick fule you will be very happy.

Thanx for the inpu guys !

Brian, the LSA from memory is 108. Not sure what the intake centreline is though.

I might step up to a HP 950 for a future combo but would this carb kill airpeed ion that intake or does is use the smaller 750 boosters to maintain speed?

Or maybe just add the 750DP I have.

What kinda shift point should I be aiming for with this combo/cam/gearing?

Thanks again !

I have a hydralic roller in one of my cars and have had nothing but problems. If I had the $ to do it again it would be solid roller or solid flat tappet.

Thanx for the inpu guys !

Brian, the LSA from memory is 108. Not sure what the intake centreline is though.

I might step up to a HP 950 for a future combo but would this carb kill airpeed ion that intake or does is use the smaller 750 boosters to maintain speed?

Or maybe just add the 750DP I have.

What kinda shift point should I be aiming for with this combo/cam/gearing?

Thanks again !

Stick that cam in on a 102lca and double check piston to valve clearance. I'd run that cam you have....

-
Back