Hey parts vendors, how about INCLUDING A DECENT SET OF INSTRUCTIONS in with the products you sell?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What the hell has happened to these companies? How much money are they saving by not including a good set of instructions in the package?
Here's the problem:
A man goes to install an ice maker in his fridge.
A man goes to install a garage door opener.
A man goes to install a porch light.
A man goes to install a new brake booster.
Every one of those guys gets the parts he needs, then gets home and opens the box to find either:
Meager instructions.
NO instructions other than to go to the manufacturers website to download instructions.
That is it.
This is bullshit. Not everyone has installed those parts numerous times where they are completely familiar with it all and need no help. SOME people are doing it for the first time and need direction.
This has happened twice to me in one week.
First, I bought a vacuum booster, linkage and reinforcement plate for a 66-70 B body Mopar. I have never installed this specific kit before. ZERO instructions were in the box.
During the installation, I encountered a few issues that would have been a LOT easier IF the vendor would have included a few pages of instructions.
Today I was going through the incomplete instructions for a Vintage Air kit for another 66-70 B body. This time there were instructions but they are horrible. They include NO clear measurements on where to drill holes in the firewall to mount the evaporator/fan unit. The aftermarket kit uses a non stock unit with mounting holes in different locations. Do these idiots think their customers are mind readers?
Sure...a decent tech can muddle through and figure it out but why make things difficult for your customers?
I installed a Classic Auto Air kit in my Charger in 2019 and those instructions, while not perfect, were much better than the ones included in the Vintage Air kit.
This is shitty business practice. These pricks need to be told that it will not be tolerated.
I'm not a fan of the brush off that some companies do....go to our website and download the instructions....
Here is a better idea. YOU download them and put them in the box with the parts.
You know, like decent companies used to do.

IMG_0172.gif

The 5 speed Tremec swap kit from Silver Sport Overdrives came with excellent instructions. I wanted it to be known that some companies are better than others at this.

Hey...I don't need help when I'm changing a tie rod or a wheel bearing. I don't need instructions when I buy new tires.
The booster though? Why nothing at all? The A/C....THIS isn't a factory setup where I can dig out a service manual for help. These kits have completely NON stock parts. The Vintage kit uses a thicker evap core that requires you to throw away the stock glovebox and use their replacement that is 3" shallower. This requires moving the fuse panel. There was no mention of this....I guess these dorks just think people will figure it out on their own.
Oddly, when I buy a power tool like what Milwaukee is selling, they include multilingual instructions, safety guidelines, contact information and sometimes even a warrantee card to fill out and mail in.

Last edited:
Totally agree, applies to damn near everything. Instructions always look like they're written by a room full of lawyers intent on covering their asses more then providing actual value to the customer.

Ice maker? We bought a refrigerator a decade ago. I didn't want an icemaker because it took away some freezer space. So, we had to order one. Two weeks later it came in. It cost over a $100 more than the one with an icemaker, which they had in stock!

Ice maker? We bought a refrigerator a decade ago. I didn't want an icemaker because it took away some freezer space. So, we had to order one. Two weeks later it came in. It cost over a $100 more than the one with an icemaker, which they had in stock!
Should have bought the one with the ice make, then removed it. You could then put the ice maker for sale, online.

A few years ago, I emailed a company asking for instructions for some aftermarket kit, since there wasn't anything included and I couldn't find anything on their website. Their response was something like, "If you need instructions to install this, you should hire a professional."

I got a chuckle out of it.

Half these 'manufactures' are just private labels on something made by another company's factory. Those in turn may not be even their own design.
As we say Good Luck!

Besides we all know that instructions are for looking at after we've messed up.
LOL

Perhaps the crappy or non existant instructions are a reason peeps ask for input/advice on here? Or YouTube? You gotta admit that YouTube has has multiple videos with tips based on what other users noticed during their installs compared to the ’textbook‘ or ‘laboratory’ install on a brand new item with no rust/dirt or other options that have since been added to the device that the textbook doesn’t recognize?

Bought a little winch from HF. Lots of cya language in the instructions, but a fairlead is included, but no place to mount it, no instructions how to mount it
I guess if you want it to work right, figure it out and make it yourself.

Some years ago I bought an item that needed to be assembled. I don't remember what it was. On the outside of the box it said "before attempting assembly read the instructions". Open the box and there is a envelope that says "instructions. please read before attemping assembly". The front page of the instructions says " please read before attempting assembly". Open the instruction book and the first page in large print says "now that you have attempted assembly and failed, Please read the instructions". How many of us are guilty of that?

Some years ago I bought an item that needed to be assembled. I don't remember what it was. On the outside of the box it said "before attempting assembly read the instructions". Open the box and there is a envelope that says "instructions. please read before attemping assembly". The front page of the instructions says " please read before attempting assembly". Open the instruction book and the first page in large print says "now that you have attempted assembly and failed, Please read the instructions". How many of us are guilty of that?
I use to work with an engineer that used a similar paragraph to start every manual he ever had to write...

I've used it on the few manuals I've written as well...

First manual I wrote was 27 pages when I was done, all explaining in simple terms the technical aspects of the equipment I help design, install & service.... Then the manual was supplemented by someone who does more office oriented stuff.... It wound up being 67 pages with a bunch of safety warnings & legal crap... They shaved out about a third of the technical stuff I'd written...

There is a reason I call them

De-structions

Can't tell you the number of products I sold that came back FUBAR'd with the instruction still neatly folded in the sealed plastic bag they came in from the factory!
The best part was the part was broken in an EXACT fashion that the de-struction warned would happen if required check fit and clearancing wasn't done. Most of the time I got this response.
I know what I'm doing...

Yes you do, ******* up expensive parts. Good job.

Last edited:
There is a reason I call them

De-structions

Can't tell you the number of products I sold that came back FUBAR'd with the instruction still neatly folded in the sealed plastic bag they came in from the factory!
The best part was the part was broken in an EXACT fashion that the de-struction warned would happen if required check fit and clearancing wasn't done. Most of the time I got this response.
I know what I'm doing...

Yes you do, ******* up expense parts. Good job.
I wrote a glowing comment about you in this thread at FBBO.
You set the standard for what vendors should do. Excellent instructions and pictures that you include with your relay kits. Thank you.

When included, those rare aftermarket instructions do tend to suck. Furthermore, the translation to English is almost humorous, at best.

Yep, whoever writes those instructions was probably trained by the guy that wrote the FSM’s for our cars
:rofl:

I write instructions.
No one reads them.
The few that do will blame me because their **** wasn't stock to begin with.
I no longer write instructions.

Can't figure it out? Hire an expert or go to YouTube. No joke.

My old vehicles are stock. I read parts instructions when the vendor includes them. That is how I became familiar with the bad translations and/or poorly written instructions

I always figured I paid for the instructions that came with part; therefore, the instructions should be least the same quality, if not better, than the part. Professionalism sells.

My complaint with the FSM’s is that segments appear to be written just for engineers and sometimes the line drawings (Figures) do not follow the description (“A” on the drawing is”1” in the description; name of a part changes between drawing and instructions).

I love the instructions that are obviously translated to English from Chinese by a Chinaman.

Alan

I write instructions.
No one reads them.
The few that do will blame me because their **** wasn't stock to begin with.
I no longer write instructions.

Can't figure it out? Hire an expert or go to YouTube. No joke.
If you mean this, then you are the problem. Maybe the way you write your instructions are worthless.
READ the comments in this thread. There are people that DO read directions and if you don't include them in the packaging with the products,, you are doing them a disservice.
Hire an expert...screw that. If your product has multiple components yet don't come with directions with measurements and helpful tips, you are worthless to many customers.
Your terrible suggestion at the bottom shows your arrogance and lack of respect. YOU are the very inspiration for this thread.

My complaint with the FSM’s is that segments appear to be written just for engineers and sometimes the line drawings (Figures) do not follow the description (“A” on the drawing is”1” in the description; name of a part changes between drawing and instructions).
I used to work in manufacturing a long time ago and when things got slow we would do random QC
I'd grab a box of parts, pull up the blueprint and see if everything was within spec

One day grabbed a skid and pulled up the print

And of course there is a date on the print and this little "revision" box on the bottom

(Now, usually revision boxes add info or tell you when things are changed for whatever reason)

This print literary said "revision A: print changed to match parts in stock

This reminds me of when I built my garage. I had the pad poured by a contractor who had been very highly recommended by a good friend of mine, and I had gone to my local lumber yard with my dimensions and plans for the garage. They gave me the quote for all the the materials, I paid for it all, and waited for a day or two for delivery.
Came home from work on the day that my materials were delivered, (except for the roof trusses as they were not yet built to my design specs), and thought, " holy ****, how in the hell am I supposed to put this pile of lumber together and make it look like a building?"
I had never built anything larger than a 10 by 12 shed before on my own, but I have helped with many building projects of others. In the end I got it done, very few mistakes, none of them were really bad, and I learned that I was not that bad at building things.
I have no doubt that a great deal of what I learned from other people and projects really saved my ***, plus when I really needed help I was able to find it.

Last edited:
If you mean this, then you are the problem. Maybe the way you write your instructions are worthless.
READ the comments in this thread. There are people that DO read directions and if you don't include them in the packaging with the products,, you are doing them a disservice.
Hire an expert...screw that. If your product has multiple components yet don't come with directions with measurements and helpful tips, you are worthless to many customers.
Your terrible suggestion at the bottom shows your arrogance and lack of respect. YOU are the very inspiration for this thread.

I do mean it. It doesn't matter how foolproof we make anything, the majority are simply bigger fools.
The cost of making detailed manuals is often higher than development a good product, and if that manual doesn't save enough in customer service costs then it's simply a waste of cash.
Since most folks won't read instructions and the rest are illiterate, the math is easy.
The "problem" is that too many fancy themselves far more capable than they really are. There's nothing that can't be figured out by anyone with a three digit IQ and a few hours (or days in some cases).
If a few hours to look at and understand a system is too much, take up knitting.

-
Back