hidden coils

-

swifter

Reaction score
Guy's-I might want to hide my 06 hemi coils this winter--how do you attach spark plug wires to the coils???? and what size wires do you purchase to fit in the hemi spark plug tubes??? Swifter

How about going to the later coil style with no plug wires, and modifying some sort of valve cover from another engine to fit over the coils and valve covers at the same time?

I have the newer coil styles with no wires--But guy's use these coils on a hidden set-up and wanted to know how they do it--Steve

I think that Indy Cylinder Head has a kit to hide the coils, check them out.

onig

Indy does have a setup but you need to use the mod manifold or a stock 6.1L. Very expensive setup but it looks good. It wasn't available when I did mine so I make my own stuff. Worked out great:cheers:!!

Attachments

• tn_full_062908_15032jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • tn_full_070408_11171jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,276
  • vbpgimage.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,198
Indy does have a setup but you need to use the mod manifold or a stock 6.1L. Very expensive setup but it looks good. It wasn't available when I did mine so I make my own stuff. Worked out great:cheers:!!

Nice set up on the coils .Whos wires and boots did you use . id like too see a closer look at your covers . I noticed you have a oil cap ? I have the indy intake . has no really good oil entry system

Nice set up on the coils .Whos wires and boots did you use . id like too see a closer look at your covers . I noticed you have a oil cap ? I have the indy intake . has no really good oil entry system

Joe will reply but I think his covers are an Indy item...the filler cap makes them a really useful accessory as well as looking good.

I think AC at Nutters (Hemitronix) has a kit that allows the coils to be mounted under an OE intake...

I thought one of the main purposes of individual coil packs was to eliminate coil and plug wires thereby tremendously reducing and almost eliminating resistance. Am I missin something?

I thought one of the main purposes of individual coil packs was to eliminate coil and plug wires thereby tremendously reducing and almost eliminating resistance. Am I missin something?

Coil packs are fricking ugly...I would say the old school look is what he is after.

I made my own covers. out of sheet metal just to hide the coil packs.

Attachments

• IMG_4717.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 937
^^^^ That was my approach - cos Im a cheap-***!

But seriously..the 3GCustomz tin coil covers can lend a kind of " faricated" look which suited my Nascar filter systems and alloy puke tank and overflow

Plenty dont like them though! LOL!!

So depends on what look you're after......

In the pics above, those are modified stock early valve covers that I had on my car years ago. I changed to a set of modified Indy's a few years back. I cut 1 of the 2 coil mounting studs off, made aluminum tubes and had the tubes welded to the covers to use the old style breathers. They also had a set of slightly modified MSD early wires. 1 end is meant for the coil, the other needs to be changed. I cut the factory contact springs long enough to make contact with the wire end and the inside of the coil and used 90 deg HEI ends on the wires. I stuck the spring in and pushed the boot on. With the way my coil bracket is made it sandwiches the coil wire between the block and the coil so it cant come off. I've been running this for years with no problems. The last pic is with the wires installed before I trimmed them up. MSD only had red at the time but I would have preferred black wires. They are all the same length so you have to wire them up so that the #1 and #2 wires are the rear two coils and the #7 and #8 coils are the front two. I think Indy makes a adapter plate to mount the new style coils under a 6.1L or the Mod Man.

060108_18543jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
060108_18581jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
060108_19031jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Coil packs are fricking ugly...I would say the old school look is what he is after.

That really addressed my point. I think I would rather have "ugly" as you call it, than reduced spark because of too much resistance. This is why coil packs fail to begin with. Resistance from spark plugs that have been left in too long. Compound that with plug wires that are not even designed into the system and I think coil pack failure might increase. The coil packs are designed to be basically right on top of the plug, with no or very little resistance in between. At least, that's my understanding.

looks nice . Looking to keep the old school look with the mod intake it has the previsions underneath . trying to use the newer 6.1 aluminum covers and ideas tokeep them.

looks nice . Looking to keep the old school look with the mod intake it has the previsions underneath . trying to use the newer 6.1 aluminum covers and ideas tokeep them.
That's what my original covers were. The early 5.7L hemi valve covers. The later engines use plastic valve covers. The early covers will fit 5.7L, 6.1L but unsure about the Eagle or Apache heads.
053108_14063jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
060708_17033jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
060408_15561jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

070708_17322jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Pretty sure they didn't fit the later heads due to different valvetrain from what I was reading around the web. I think the bolt pattern is common though, so you might be able to make them fit with a spacer.

That really addressed my point. I think I would rather have "ugly" as you call it, than reduced spark because of too much resistance. This is why coil packs fail to begin with. Resistance from spark plugs that have been left in too long. Compound that with plug wires that are not even designed into the system and I think coil pack failure might increase. The coil packs are designed to be basically right on top of the plug, with no or very little resistance in between. At least, that's my understanding.

I have done some thinking and research into this. The early 5.7L engines had 24" to 36" spark plug wires for the waste spark system that were 1000 ohms per foot. The MSD wires are 40 ohms per foot so I can run the spark down 1 wire and back through the other and still be under the resistance of 1 mopar plug wire. I have had my car together for more than 6 years, run mid 11s in the quarter, and cooked the coils on a 100 deg day in traffic and no issues whatsoever. The only thing I didn't mention is I used a small thin piece of fiber glass insulation starter wrap in my valley under the coils to try and keep alittle heat away and so the wires don't rub on the block.

Great info Hemijoejr. Your install looks great. Is that a one off intake manifold, or is somebody producing them?

Thanks

Great info Hemijoejr. Your install looks great. Is that a one off intake manifold, or is somebody producing them?

Thanks

The original intake was a Eddy dual quad. The new intake is a custom sheet metal Hogan cross ram. I wish I could produce it!!

hemijoejr,
Could you please share where you purchased all the wiring looms for your spark plug wires? Did you purchase the longer valve cover bolts or did you just make those? Thank you!
Wailin D

Sorry for the delay. All of the wire looms are from MSD. I knocked 3 I the valve cover hold down bolts out of the washers on each side and cut lengths of metric threaded rod for the looms to bolt down to.

-
Back