High Volume Oil Pump on stock 318

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got the word from the machine shop today. Im putting the 318 back to stock with the exception of cam, intake and carb. I have a new Melling M72HV with about an hour runtime on it. Leftover from 1st attempt to fix oil problem. Should I just use the pump or buy another stock pump?

Craig

I got the word from the machine shop today. Im putting the 318 back to stock with the exception of cam, intake and carb. I have a new Melling M72HV with about an hour runtime on it. Leftover from 1st attempt to fix oil problem. Should I just use the pump or buy another stock pump?

Craig

I have no idea what this all means. I don't have your life's history. But if you had "oiling problems" I would AT THE LEAST pull the pump apart and inspect it, or consider just replacing it.

It can drain the oil pan dry as it pumps too much oil. You need to increase your oil capacity to at least 7 qt's with baffles or go with a stock pump. You probably dont need the hv pump,unless your planning to spend lots of time in the upper rpm range.

i use everyday on my "granny" small block a Meilling 72hv and i am very satisfied .

My 318 is very used and for have a good oil pressure summer and winter , at cold and mainly at hot in idle i doing the choice this pump .

But needsaresto is right , the meilling hv is 25 or 30 % supérior at the stock pump and you must have a pan with capacity up to 25/30% of oil quantity , i use a Drive shaft heavy duty too .

At the start wen the engine is cold i have 75psi , at the idle at hot i have 15psi . Imagine with a stock pump at the start how many ... 30/40 ??? and at hot ............ 0 ??

Use stock pump if your engine block is good .

Excuse me for my pitiful accent , i am french thanks

High volume has nothing to do with pressure. More volume does not mean you will have more pressure.

Wow..I have been driving a 73 Duster around for 6 yrs now with a high volume pump and stock oil pan...it surely would have suck the pan dry every time I drove by now....

plus the 20 or so blast down the drag strip....

you don't need a hv pump....but don't see how it is going to hurt anything either.

High volume has nothing to do with pressure. More volume does not mean you will have more pressure.

yes, except that meilling hv are also set with 10% more pressure and associated with an additional volume allows my old engine to find a correct pressure and not superior at the oem valors of course .

Clearly the flow catches up with the aditional pressure drop of wear and effectively do not confuse high volume and high pressure of course .

Wow..I have been driving a 73 Duster around for 6 yrs now with a high volume pump and stock oil pan...it surely would have suck the pan dry every time I drove by now....

yes of course too, but the logic if you use a pump with a flow rate greater than 25% you need to compensate with a suitable Quantity in the oil pan.

You can talk about it because you used it without problems for 6 years , ok , but logically it was risky ......

..............That malarky about sucking the pan dry and starving the engine started with the CHEVY guys..........if ur leary about it, all an extra qt.....but yes i agree u just need a stock pump.....kim..........

Maybe the hv pump would make a difference on a loose engine... or if you're running an oil cooler, but on a fresh rebuild, I only saw maybe a 10psi difference cold, if even that, between a Melling HVHP and a stock replacement. 6750 rpm shifts and stock pan on a 273 and it never lost pressure. Hard braking is a different story

I guess...I heard....is better then I did or have been doing...

so keep hearing and I will keep doing....LOL

I run modifyed std volumeoil pumps exclusivly now. I have them in small blocks running upwards of 7500rpm without any issues to date. On a mild 6000rpm engine youll be just fine.

Plus the high volume pumps put a lot of stress on the oil pump drive shaft and you have to upgrade that to the MP or Milodon shaft, otherwise you risk twisting off he hex that drives the oil pump. I know people are running the "stock" type driveshafts with the HV pumps, But for MY engines its never going to happen, I have seen to many of these break.

Yes...need hardened intermediate shaft with HV pump.....

I use standard pumps with the HP relief spring, but I always use the MP drive regardless. I used to run HV pumps all the time. Never broke a drive, or sucked a pan dry. It's just too much of a draw and heat creator. If the clearance and machining is right, it's a waste of power, and it's a measurable loss.

high volume takes more hp to turn, and puts a lil more heat into the oil...thats what happens when you try compressing oil/fluid

always run a hardened intermediate shaft w/high volume/high psi, pinned type is extra insurance too

no comment on the pan being sucked dry, since it hasnt happened to me...that I know of.

I guess I must have always messed up because I always run a HV Melling oil pump in every motor that I go in to. I have never had an issue but I am just a everyday driver.

So when is it good to use an HV oil pump or what was it designed for? Because I was going to put one on my 360 with Magnum heads so it helps with the oiling through the push rods. But I only have a stock oil pan.

I got a stock oil pan on my 340 and a lead foot, yet I never suck the pan dry. I think its myth, unless the engine is low on oil to start with.

My 318 thou which i got 9 years of heavy use of--5 years with 360 heads which did pick up power everywhere--had a stock oil pump and it lasted. Never had an oil gauge on that motor but it ran good--not as good thou as the higher compression 340

I got a stock oil pan on my 340 and a lead foot, yet I never suck the pan dry. I think its myth, unless the engine is low on oil to start with.

My 318 thou which i got 9 years of heavy use of--5 years with 360 heads which did pick up power everywhere--had a stock oil pump and it lasted. Never had an oil gauge on that motor but it ran good--not as good thou as the higher compression 340

I would think that Melling would put a disclaimer on all the HV pumps if they required a bigger oil pan.

I run modifyed std volumeoil pumps exclusivly now. I have them in small blocks running upwards of 7500rpm without any issues to date. On a mild 6000rpm engine youll be just fine.

Plus the high volume pumps put a lot of stress on the oil pump drive shaft and you have to upgrade that to the MP or Milodon shaft, otherwise you risk twisting off he hex that drives the oil pump. I know people are running the "stock" type driveshafts with the HV pumps, But for MY engines its never going to happen, I have seen to many of these break.

Mike, care to share what kind of mods you do to a standard volume pumps?

-
Back