High zinc oil

-

MACKIN

Reaction score
I was told I must run high zinc oil with a Comp Nitride camshaft. The only oil I'm familiar with that has a high zinc content is a diesel oil.

I'm not 100% sure if that is the case I'm considering running Mobil Delvac 5w 40 synthetic same as I run in my Duramax as I can buy wholesale through a Mobil distributor. I'm assuming Mobil Delvac is of the same zinc content or better than Shell Rotela. That is what I've seen or told people run is Shell but I didn't want to run 15w 40 which is viscosity of most diesel oil.Prefer a synthetic.

What are you guys running? Not interested in Royal Purple

I would NEVER use synthetic for cam break-in. once everything is broken in, fine.

valvoline vr1 oil has zinc...

come in 10-40, 20-50, and some straight weight...

autozone sells the 20-50 ....

valvoline vr1 oil has zinc...
QUOTE]

Only the versions that ARE NOT SM rated, VR1 comes both ways. The zinc content for API service designation SM is mandated by the EPA and the manufacturers are subject to fines if they exceed the limits and advertise the oil as SM.

I bought this at Advance auto,napa and car quest are supposed to carry it too

815165.jpg

The only oil I'm familiar with that has a high zinc content is a diesel oil.

not anymore. they are taking it out of all that oil also. i have been running the vr-1. best bet is probably an additive. gm makes a good one, think huges makes one. and i'm sure there are more out there.

I use teh VR1 offroad (not epa rated at all). Anything SM is bad. However, I was wandering around my local car quest... They still have "house brand" (Valvoline) SL rated 15-40 Fleet oils on the shelf. I have about 1 1/2 cases of that and some SL 20-50 left at the house. But for all my new starts I run VR1 straight 30, and for hi rate of lift flat tappet street engines, they stay on it.

Hey red, 55 gallons of what kind of oil? My mom works at a oil company

Hey Red, My son in law just bought a case to break in 2- 350's, in SW Pa. it is 40.00. I think it is Pennsylvania oil. Your in Cal where everything is higher.

Are you guys sure the VR1 is off road use not typical street oil?

Nonetheless Brad Penn is quick in response to e-mails.Took less than 5 mins! It would appear there is a distributor in my area that I can get 55 gallon drums.

http://www.ghberlinoil.com/index.html

I haven't called yet to get a price. I do figure the best possible price is to buy in bulk. Figuring a oil change is going to consume 2 gallons each event and I can run the same oil in my HD 20w 50 why not.

-
Back