highest time a slant six can do?

-

pittman445

live-fast,die-slow.
Reaction score
what is the highest time a slant 6 can do running on normal gas ,that you guys have seen or heard of?

i want to shut up my friend thats all bigblock guy . cause he keeps telling me to trash my / and get a v-8 and i dont want to . i want to play with this till its gone the go to the v-8 , im having to much fun with this / .

66aCuda has one that pulls off a mid 13 sec 1/4 mile on street tires.

Frank and sinda 002.jpg

Frank and sinda 003.jpg

The 2700# and up record in the last newslitter was 12.03 for the 1/4 and 7.87 in the 1/8.

The 2000# to 2350# class was 11.55 in the 1/4 and 7.25 in the 1/8.

hope that helps.

A friend had a 68 Barracuda its best time was 11.45. it wasn't even a 225 but a 170 block with a 198 crank and a little nitrous.

And the next logical question is.... How often do you service the four main bearings under loads like that?

I watched Mike Jeffries from Nebraska smoke a Lil' Red Express truck and run a 10.36 with his slant powered '68 Valiant " Buzzin' Half Duzzin' ".

Check out some of these times:
Slant Six Racing

A Walt! Yea killin me! Ha ha ha ha ha.........

Pitman, theres several problems with making a /6 run real quick. But they can be overcome IF your willing to go THAT route.

Your cubic inch challenged and the weight of the car is a heft not easy to get ride of if you still want a street comfortable ride. Alot has to do with how much your willing to put up with and live without.

The parts are out there. Can you live with the combo of parts needed to run the time?

my best time was a 19.68 but the slant sixes R a great strip motor since they run real consistant

at dragway 42 there was a 65 dart four door that was green and needed a restoration that won the sundays compitition because of his consistancey a few years back
when he poped the hood on his dart the first thing i saw was the six pack air cleaner and was wondering why since it was a slant six (found out that he was using the center carb off a sixpack.

as soon as i get the other car . my 32 ford . im gutting the plymouth and tracking it . i am going to max out the /6 whit what ever i can do to it . and have some fun . if i can get it into the 10s it would be cool . but if not at least ill get to see what it can handle . i got loads of parts fo it now and just need to get me another daily driver first . so when i get to this i will need some help . and will start a tread for the sup up .

And the next logical question is.... How often do you service the four main bearings under loads like that?

Slants have very few main bearing or crank problems. I would guess that is because for a six the crank is relatively short, is pretty stout, and RPM's are kinda low.

The only ones I have seen have crank issues either hydrauliced the motor or had welded cranks.

The bearings in my junk have quite a few nitrous passes on them and are still in like new shape.

All this makes me think of a guy I know trying to convince me that his fat girl was as good as my skinny girls. That makes me think if he ever tryed a skinny girl.

Hahaha. I like that :toothy10:

I like a slant as much as anyone, but I wouldn't spend the money on them that the racers do when they start running 13 seconds and less in them.
I'm lucky enough to own (or my father owns) a little bit of everything from MaMopar. My 1969.5 440 six pack 4-speed A12 Bee is awesome, the 1974 slant six Gold Duster is a great economy cruiser, but the big block 1974 Dart Sport is still my favorite. Like I always say...I heart my Dart. :love6:

Hahaha. I like that :toothy10:

I like a slant as much as anyone, but I wouldn't spend the money on them that the racers do when they start running 13 seconds and less in them.
I'm lucky enough to own (or my father owns) a little bit of everything from MaMopar. My 1969.5 440 six pack 4-speed A12 Bee is awesome, the 1974 slant six Gold Duster is a great economy cruiser, but the big block 1974 Dart Sport is still my favorite. Like I always say...I heart my Dart. :love6:

Building a slant is like building any motor. You can spend a little, or spend a lot. I built my 66 Valiant to prove to people that think like you (not puting you down), that it doesn't take cubic money to build fun, quick slant powered car. Before paint and a new windshield, I only had about $1,500 in my car, including buying the car.
Here is a link to the complete build, if anyone cares to read it.
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

an old known engine builder in my area built his / and ran a high 11 in his 64 valiant. who knows what it will run on a good full hard pass.

You can build almost any car for next to nothing if you use your head and do some smart swapping and selling.

I bought a running/driving rust free 1974 Duster for $1,300.00 off of eBay in Jan. 2008. It cost me $1,000.00 to get it shipped here. Put me way over budget for a /6 car, but it is rust free car and was able to be licensed immediately upon delivery. It also had a fold down rear seat, power steering, power disk brakes, A/C, yada, yada... I prefer the looks of the 1973-74 Duster over any other 1973+ A-body.
It's a great little cruiser.
My slant six Gold Duster build

About 3 years ago I bought a rust free 1974 Dodge Dart Sport off of eBay for an amazing $177.50! It was an original 318 auto car with the 8-1/4" rear, fold down rear seat, power steering, power disk brakes, A/C, yada, yada...
When it arrived there was a 1970 duster 340 grille laying across the backseat! That paid for the car!
I was going to put a mildly build small block in it with my Mopar performance R/T heads, but then I picked up a completely rebuilt 1977 400long block with a forged crank and KB pistons for only $300.00. I sold the heads for $300.00 and installed a set of '915' casting units. I am debating if I should spend the money on aluminum heads or keep the low dollar budget build theme going...
My 1974 big block Dart Sport build

I have about $1,700.00 into a nice 1972 Dodge Dart with a supercharged 53,000 mile LA 360, a-body 8-3/4" rear with Yukon axles/Moser green bearings/Moroso 3" studs, Hooker headers, an alumium radiator and new front end parts and tires.
My 1972 supercharged Dart build

When all is said and done and I finish the interiors (I have the panels but need two new sets of factory bucket seat covers) I will have about $3k into both the slant six Gold Duster and the big block Dart after selling the original & extra parts I do not need for both cars. The 1972 Dart was a sweet deal as the body was nice with two of everything (hoods, doors, fenders grilles) and it came with two 360s (a brand new 1989 roller cam shortblock which I finished up and a stock tired old 2-bbl.). I bought it in 2004 and paid $650.00 for everything and another $150.00 for a 1974 Dodge truck with 53,000 miles for the drivetrain I pulled the engine & 727 transmission out of it for the Dart. The truck also had a 4.10 posi Dana 60 rear that I pull from under it and still got $150.00 when I crushed the truck at the recyclers. I used the 1989 roller cam 360 engine in our 1964 Ford F-100 lowered tow rig (which spent a few years on the drag strip taking my abuse with a small supercharger).

Exactly.

Just tired of guys saying all the deals have dried up.
I realize the area I live in is a little different than most but still.
Like Charrlie_S I have made many deals even in the outrageously peaking market from 2000-2007. In fact those were when I made the best deals I think.
IN my eyes most people dont get out enough, and "looking for deals" to them is surfing eBay and craigslist. Sure there are some to be had there too, however you'd be amazed at what cars are still laying around once you get out there and do some uncovering.

This past spring I bought a very nice clean rust free 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L with 95k miles off a guy I know for $200.00. It had snapped a timing belt, and the garage told him it would be cheaper to change the entire engine as it is an interference engine and probably would need head work. I paid $35.00 for a new timing belt and the car runs like new.
Tomorrow I am gonna trade that car for a rust free Florida 2001 Dodge Ram quad cab 2wd 5.9L automatic. It has 130,000 miles, leather interior, towing package, and a CD player. Nothing super fancy but a nice clean Mopar tow rig at a great price ($250.00).
I just wish it was a stick, but it is still worth twice what my Stratus is in my opinion.

Two years ago a guy came to me and wanted to know if I'd be interested in two Darts for $200.00. I said sure and went to pick them up not expecting much. Both were original 6 cyl cars. The black 1970 was pretty crusty had a 318 with an LD 340 intake, headers, set up for a 4-speed and had an 8-3/4" under it. The other was a white 1971 which is a very clean car (minus engine & transmission)

-
Back