History of your car!

-
H

heytherecuda

With my 67 Barracuda I have a huge history file including original bill, service card, delivery details, record book, insurance etc. The car was originally bought in Ohio by Squadron Leader John DE'ATH in 1967 where he was stationed at the Wright Patterson Air Force Base. After two years he bought the car back to the Uk where it has been ever since. After a few months of searching I have tracked him down (79 years old now and living about thirty miles from me). He told me that at the time in America everyone was buying Mustangs, so to be different he bought the Barracuda ( apparently great for picking up the girls). The first week he bought the car he picked up a girl and drove 9000 miles around the whole of America in 6 weeks. He has some great pics from that trip which he is going to let me have, can't wait. Anyone else have some interesting stories?

No really great story here. Bought mine when the car was 10 years old from a guy whose wife was a school teacher. It was her car & she was driving it about 34 miles round trip to work. He was a bit of a car nut (like me) & had a mid 60's 2 door Continental. He had bought a mid 60's 4 door Continental for her to drive & was selling the Barracuda. I know that he & his wife later divorced. About 14 years later I had moved to a large city 150 miles away & happened to see him in his Continental pulling into a drug store parking lot. Stopped & talked to him for a few minutes & told him I still had the car. He was in a bit of a hurry as he was getting some medicine for his kid so he couldn't talk for long.

That's a kool story... would love to see the pics. To find a car with all it's history is a rare find. Drive the car to him and take a picture with him beside you and the car. He would love that. I too like the Barracuda for that reason. I own both a '66 Mustang and a '65 Barracuda. I like driving the Cuda more than the Mustang because of the looks the Glasback Cuda gets. There are Mustangs everywhere. Mopar early cars are the way to go!

My 67 Barracuda was a project car for Moperformance magazine, back in the 80's. Mike Martin built it with the goal of having it match the handling of a Porsche 928. I still have some of the articles about it. The car has a 340, which wasn't available in 67.

Got it new in '68. Picked it up on May 23/68. Have the original hand written invoice as well as the printed out invoice. Found the build sheet behind the glove box. Have the owners manual with the certicard in the back.
Used the car for my job as a service tech for a few years then got a beater and used the cuda after work and on weekends.
Didn't use it much in the late '70's and on. It sat in my father's garage for 20 or so years. I would register it every now and then but it was a pain to keep going to my folks place to get it so it mostly sat until my family and I moved and we had a double garage built and I could bring it home. Now it is registered every year. My wife and I go to car shows with it. It is all original even the paint. I added some options that I didn't get when it was new but they are all nos pieces bought back in the day.

Attachments

• 7 Cuda Left rear side.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 385
I bought mine back in 1980 off the second owner. I recently met the original owner at a car show. He had been looking for the car since he had sold it back in 1978. He had some great stories to share and filled in all the missing pieces for me. Here's a pic of my car back in 1969/70 at Keystone Dragways doing what it was born to do.

Attachments

• Billsdart.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 391
My car was born in Canada along with 330,000 other Darts that year(70). It was delivered to a dealership in SOCAL, sold twice, the last owner residing in Reno. I went all the way out to Reno to get it as it had spent its entire life in a dry climate and had absolutely no rust part of which I attributed to an excellent factory undercoat. I had spent two years looking for a rust free A body in my price range in the Southeast, had given up on that and finally found my Dart out west.

My car came from California and made its way to the Northeast back in the late '70s-early-mid '80s. Must have been a hippy car from a bad part of town because it had a rainbow decal in the back window & was all beat up & had all kinds of half-a** rigged locks throughout the car including a pull chain light socket as a kill switch.:shock: Wish I knew more about the history tho..... Can you get the Chrysler historical documents for '67?

Attachments

• PB010601_0066.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 332
  • PB010603_0064.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 355
My 66 cuda was bought new in St. Petersburg Fla. some how got to colorado and the older man that owned it did an amateur restoration in 1996 his town was so small his restoration made the local paper, he died soon after. The car sat in his barn till 2005 when the family sold it to the man i bought it from in late 2006 he was going to clone it into a formula S i went to look at another vehicle he had for sale and ended up buying it in oct 2006. I have the cert card with the first owners name and adress on it and some of the records from colorado the maintance card from 66 is still on the glovebox door with the oil changes written on it,it's a factory air car that still works with all the orig. parts,the entire car is about 85% orign. i converted to SSBC disk and a formula S 4bbl manifold ,rebuilt entire suspension.I drive this car on weekends to shows,we plan on a full rotisory restoration the end of this year [finances permitting].

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 350
  • 015.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 005.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 011.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 002.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 342
Don't know much about my car before I got it. All I have is the owners manual that has the dealer where it was sold at and who ever bought it's name and address on the inside cover. I looked every where but did not find a build sheet. Would be nice to know the history of my Dart.

Interesting that you started this thread. I bought some photo paper today so I can print off a copy of my Dart and send it to a previous owner for more information. I thought I would send him a post card of "his old Dart" and hopefully he will contact me with old stories and maybe some old photos.
toolmanmike

I don't know much of the original history of my current '69 Dart project. It was an eBay buy out of Oregon almost 4 years ago.
I bought it from the grandson of the original owner. All he told me was that he swapped out the orginal 273/904 engine/trans for a new 380-horse 360 crate motor and freshly rebuilt 727. He also swapped the original rear end for a B-body 8-3/4 w/Sure Grip and had the original light yellow paint covered by Maaco with what he said was as close as they could get to Go Mango orange. Then tired of his project and put it up on eBay.
Now it's in SoCal and when I get finished (hopefully in 2011) with it, it will vastly different.

The history on my Dart convertible was that it was bought new in L.A. at Crenshaw Dodge which was apparently in a middle class neighborhood back then which has gone for a bit of a decline since.The original owner worked near there at the time and did for many years afterwards and the car was his daily driver to and from work for nearly 40 years.In 1992 when the Watts riots occured after the Rodney King trial,the car was parked outside his work and was vandalized by the rioting mob and the windshield was smashed and the hood damaged presumably by someone jumping on the hood to kick in the windshield.The windshield was replaced afterwards and there's evidence of bodywork on the hood which would support that story.

The original owner also added a trailer hitch to tow a teardrop trailer to the coast on weekends and holidays which would have made for a cool sight back in the day.I can picture it heading up Hwy 1 on a sunny weekend with the top down with the trailer behind it.

A girlfriends little step brother told me his grandfather was having a yard sale and there was an old car in the barn so i went to look.... It was a 1968 340 4 speed formula s fastback. Had 3701 miles on it when it was taken stripped apart in 1970 to make a drag car. Never finished and lost interest, come with a bunch of nos parts and old race parts... paid 200 bucks for it 2005

2 of the 3 cars we currently own were bought from the original owners.....

"Sunfish"...Nellas 67 Cuda convert sat up next to a house near us, and I watched it for a couple years and stopped by a few times but no one was ever home. One day I got lucky and the owner was home and we chatted about the car a little bit. He told me he bought it new in 67 and drove it for the next 30 years, rebuilding the engine, hanging new quarters, paint and a new top in 1992. Then it sat for the next ten years under a tarp outside until I came along. He tried to give it to his son but he was afraid to drive it, and he warned me that it was "too dangerous" to drive because something was wrong with the front end. He also said he was offered 5K many times but turned it down. I told him that my plan was to make it Nella's car and brought her over the next day to look at it. I told him I could only offer $2500.00, but it was a legitimate cash offer and left my number. I didn't even get home and there was already a message on my machine saying that he and his wife talked it over and they knew that we would give it a good home. We still stop by when we go to the annual Make-a-Wish car show in that town, and they always love to see it, take pictures of it and sit in it and enjoy what we've done to it. It makes me feel good to know that I'm caring for a car that is loved by them, and Nella too!!!

The 66 Cuda... the little 66 in my avatar sat in a field behind my buddys house for many years. It was owned by the oldest man in our town, a grumpy old man who used to live in the house. I built my buddy a big shop in the field near the dozen or so cars that the 66 was sleeping with, and asked my buddy about why he hadn't bought it. He told me he tried many times but was always met with a firm "NO". He told me to give it a try but also said.."If you can get it, you're a better man than me"!! I went up to Max's apartment and asked about the Cuda. He was 88 at the time and was mostly in dimentia, but said.."If you want it, you can have it for $400.00"!! He had been in a fender bender in 1978 with it and parked it intending to fix it, but the house caught on fire while he was working on a 68 Charger and burned down the shop with the Charger and a 57 Nomad wagon inside. They sold the house to my buddy after that and the cars just sat. When I told my buddy I had bought the car, he just about hit the roof. But he said that if I wanted, we would redo the car together in his brand new shop, and thats just what we did. In thanks for helping me out, he usually takes the GTX and drives it all summer, except for last year when he spent the summer in California.

Thats my stories and I'm stickin' to them!!! Geof

Attachments

• mopar pics.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 275
My son and I found our father/son project car, a 74 Dart Swinger back in September 2008. It took about 2 years of TLC and elbow grease to transform the car into what we have so far. We found the car in a front yard and paid $1000 for it from the original family that bought the car. Their grandparents bought the car on 20 Dec 1974 in Los Angeles, CA. It was there for 2 years before they moved to central Texas where the car resided the rest of its life. The grandparents handed the car down and it eventually made it to the grandchildren that drove it to high school and college. We have the original title and found the build sheet intact under the rear seat, (I had it laminated to preserve it). The previous owner, (son of the original owner) lives in town and we have kept contact. He even found the fender badges in his sons bedroom desk drawer and contacted me so we could have them. We've entered the Dart in three shows and my son even took 2nd place once in the Classic MOPAR catagory, (it was a Mustang sponsored show, so not many MOPARS were in attendance).
The easel in front of the car shows pictures from when we found it, has a description/history of the car, (it was build 16 Oct 73 at St. Louis, MO plant). The other sheet covers world events, car prices, and sports highlights from 1974. It gets a lot of reaction when people read it over.

Attachments

• after rear.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 274
  • B4 rear.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 279
  • after front.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 275
  • B4 front.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 280
  • after motor.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 266
  • B4 engine.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 274
I bought mine back in 1980 off the second owner. I recently met the original owner at a car show. He had been looking for the car since he had sold it back in 1978. He had some great stories to share and filled in all the missing pieces for me. Here's a pic of my car back in 1969/70 at Keystone Dragways doing what it was born to do.

Bill seeing those front seats in this picture must be killing you!

Got it new in '68. Picked it up on May 23/68. Have the original hand written invoice as well as the printed out invoice. Found the build sheet behind the glove box. Have the owners manual with the certicard in the back.
Used the car for my job as a service tech for a few years then got a beater and used the cuda after work and on weekends.
Didn't use it much in the late '70's and on. It sat in my father's garage for 20 or so years. I would register it every now and then but it was a pain to keep going to my folks place to get it so it mostly sat until my family and I moved and we had a double garage built and I could bring it home. Now it is registered every year. My wife and I go to car shows with it. It is all original even the paint. I added some options that I didn't get when it was new but they are all nos pieces bought back in the day.
Very Nice!I have the same hubcaps.I just bought my 68 Barracuda FB from a member that had it shipped up from Cali last spring.Apparently it was a 2 owner car(owned by 2 brothers)and was garage kept for most of it,s life,except for the last 4 years under a carport.Here,s a couple pics..
View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 044.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 038.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 035.jpg

View attachment 1968 Barracuda Fastback 039.jpg

Update: Just had some pictures form the John from the first day he bought the car in 1967 Outside Wright Patterson Airforce base, the second one is Floraida 1967 and the third is 1972 somewhere in the UK Also a nice little story fom John - Further to our conversation yesterday, I have searched through my photo albums and discovered three photographs of the Barracuda. These are the only ones I have.

The first one is, looking at the front of the car, was taken at Wright Patterson Airforce Base immediately after I bought the car in 1967. The second photo shows me in beach gear and was taken just off a beach in Florida, also in 1967. The third was taken just after my first marriage in 1972 and shows my then wife with the car.

You may be interested in the following story. I was travelling on a dual carriageway in Wales late at night on one occasion when I was stopped by the police. They said they had never seen a car like that and wanted to know details of it. They then asked me to drive flat out for a mile or so to see if they could keep up with me. They couldn't!

Attachments

• JohnBarracuda1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Barracuda.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Barracuda3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 197
Those hub caps were one of the things I added after I got the car. Salesman didn't show me that option when the car was being ordered. Saw them on another cuda and went straight to the dealer and ordered the caps and chrome nuts.

Those hub caps were one of the things I added after I got the car. Salesman didn't show me that option when the car was being ordered. Saw them on another cuda and went straight to the dealer and ordered the caps and chrome nuts.
The ones on my car are from the factory,I,m going by what the broadcast sheet says.:mrgreen:

I bought my Demon in Jan 1991 while in the USAF and stationed in the Philippines. I bought it from a Navy guy that had two...mine and one other. He still has his today, too! June 15, 1991 Mount Pinatubo blew her top and I was evacuated out of the Philippines on the missile cruiser USS Long Beach. I had to leave my Demon behind. Dave, the previous owner was not so lucky to be evacuated out, so I left it in his possession. He made sure it made it into a shipping container and sent my way...I was stationed at Ft Meade, MD at the time. Oct 91 it showed up at the port of Baltimore. The ash had done a number on the paint, so about a year later I put it in a shop for a quick new paint job. 20 years later, she still wears that "quick" paint job and it's definitely showing it's age...but she's still mine, regardless of how she looks! Here's a video I did up a few years ago...the first picture is my daughter who is now approaching 23 years old!

Same video, but on youtube and some visual narration/timeline added -- I submitted this to Year One a couple years back in cahoots with Moparts for a video contest and it was voted as a 2nd place winner!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompIB9ws4so"]YouTube - Thanks Moparts and YearOne--16 Years Of Blood Sweat & Tears[/ame]

I've been told a few times to write something up and submit it to the Mopar rags and it'd be guaranteed to be published...I just haven't done so. :)

-
Back