Hobby Or Investment ?

-
I say hobby too. If you have a classic/muscle car and restore it and keep it garaged and trailer it everywhere to prevent rock chips etc, then its a investment, what fun is that?????

I got asked at a gas station by a hybrid driver, "what kind of mileage does your car get" I told him, "Dont know, dont care, i would drive my car if gas was $10 a gallon, its my hobby" "how much do you spend on your hobby"

I think it what you have. My 66 Dart GT and my 89 Shelby dakota are hobbys. I bought a 70 Cuda (almost a barn find)440 6pk all orig. 10 years ago and never started it. its a investment. People ask me all the time why I dont drive the Cuda. I tell them its a investment and my Dart and Shelby are more fun and no real collector value.

Definitely a hobby, I could prob sell my car for half of what I put into it, so there's no investment, lol. And I never plan to sell it, too much blood and sweat that money can't replace!

Hobby. I don't know of anyone who built their car for such a screaming price that they would ever get the money back out of it. Only way it would be an investment is if the trunk was loaded with gold or silver.

I say both for me.
A hobby primarily, but i make a lot of friends in the process.
That's the investment part for me.
If i was in it for the money, i would buy and sell high dollar cars like hemi cars, corvettes, old race cars, exotic european cars etc.
Those are all out of my league, but it doesn't matter to me.
I would prefer to drive an a body and enjoy the hobby instead.

I say hobby too. If you have a classic/muscle car and restore it and keep it garaged and trailer it everywhere to prevent rock chips etc, then its a investment, what fun is that?????

I got asked at a gas station by a hybrid driver, "what kind of mileage does your car get" I told him, "Dont know, dont care, i would drive my car if gas was $10 a gallon, its my hobby" "how much do you spend on your hobby"

I tell people like that that it's actually a hybrid.

A hybrid? they say.....yeah, it burns rubber and gas.......then watch their face turn to an Al Gore-like frown like you just chopped down a tree in front of them and stuffed a lemon in their pie hole. :cherry:

Or you can really confuse them and tell them you are supporting the "international community" by paying for your gas guzzling machine because some poor sap in the middle east needs our gas dollars to support his job just as much there as we do here.....oh they hate that specially since they spend so much time defending them over there anyways so this makes their brain do flip flops and they get their thongs in a tizzy.

Just make sure you do a nice burn out when leaving so you can really rub salt in the wound.

Ha, ha...I love being a prick to the enviro-weenie wackers.

More than a hobby for me. It's for the love of it. Would take a insane amount
of money for me to part with my car.

There is something about building and firing a HP V-8 for the first time. It never gets old, no matter how many times you've done it. Searching and finding all the right factory parts to transform a /6 three on the tree to a 273 Commando, Hurst floor shift, 4 speed, Formula S. Finally having the money to have the body done so there is nothing else you would like to do. More than a Hobby. More like a love affair. There is no passion in an investment, it is cold and calculated.

I get asked all the time by friends if I actually make any money fixing up old cars. I usually ask them if they make any money playing golf, mountain biking, scuba diving, etc. It's a hobby for me, if I accidentally make some money at it, that's a bonus.

hobby. its kind of hard to look at my 4 door slant 6 valiant as an investment. i consider myself lucky to break even on a car when i sell one.

I think that if you get investment into your mindset you will just set yourself up for disappointment.

It sucks. the Cheby and Furd guys arent in the same boat as us.... I guess that means that underpowered crap is more marketable

Not an investment and not a hobby. It's an addiction I,m afflicted with. Like Memike says, I have more toys than a ten year old child. And I'm not scared to beat on them. It's how I get my fix. DD

who says they can't be both a hobby and an investment........well at least if you get the car cheap enough and do the work yourself. LOL!

its a hobby. the guys that got into it as an investment are the ones that ruin the hobby.

Here here I agree you should be doing it for the passion not for money.

I love it when I drag home some rusty old heap & people are saying I should have taken it to the scrap yard then a year or 2 down the road they see the finished resto & they can't believe whta they see.

For me it is a passion a challenge to restore a car & bring it back to life it is the best feeling even. Better when people didn't think it could be done.

I also hate the investors who only want to drive the prices up as they don't care about the cars just there return on there $$$ they need to get some passion for something other than the mighty $$$. Then maybe the world would be in a better place.

I'm flabbergasted guys...........I've read these posts and don't quite know what to say.......

I've built a number of A's, some of which are pictured in my photo garage here......Some B's, and an "E".........

I've profited on every one at sale, and it's my hobby to build and customize 'em.......I drive every one I build, until I get an itch for something different......

I can't be the only one who profits from his hobby........:shock:

I tell people like that that it's actually a hybrid.

A hybrid? they say.....yeah, it burns rubber and gas.......then watch their face turn to an Al Gore-like frown like you just chopped down a tree in front of them and stuffed a lemon in their pie hole. :cherry:

Or you can really confuse them and tell them you are supporting the "international community" by paying for your gas guzzling machine because some poor sap in the middle east needs our gas dollars to support his job just as much there as we do here.....oh they hate that specially since they spend so much time defending them over there anyways so this makes their brain do flip flops and they get their thongs in a tizzy.

Just make sure you do a nice burn out when leaving so you can really rub salt in the wound.

Ha, ha...I love being a prick to the enviro-weenie wackers.

HAHA, thats funny, another time at a gas station, a different Prius driver was asking about the car, I told him my cars 40 yrs old and had paid its debt to the environment, and oh by the way your car has Lithium batteries in in right, he says Yes.

Well, earlier that day i had googled Lithium mine on my phone and still had the pics on the screen. I showed him these and asked now who is polluting the environment

Hobby. I don't know of anyone who built their car for such a screaming price that they would ever get the money back out of it. Only way it would be an investment is if the trunk was loaded with gold or silver.

Or Gasoline...

-
Back