Hobby Or Investment ?

-

davejc6

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Should we take our cars as a hobby or investment?

Just wondering what we think when building cars?

I call it a love /hate relationship. I love my mopar but hate mopar $$. These cars are tough to make money on unless your doing the work. If your paying someone it's likely you will lose something when selling it.

But to answere you question,a hobby.

mines an investment......I invest the time and the money to build it then I drive it.....after so many miles the car has paid for itself and I can throw more money and time at it....smiles per gallon :love3:

Definitely a hobby, maybe someday if the son ever wants to sell the Duster, might get half of what we've put into it, but knew that going into it with starting with a low option /6 shell so we could build it the way he wanted and not worry about decreasing the value of a rare one.

In my case, definately an investment...a bad one lol!

Seriously like others have said it is an investment in my happiness so it's priceless.

When the price of scrap doubles and the price of gas triples we'll see what the interest level in fixing up 40-year-old economy cars is. Recycling old cars can be a lot of fun, but I probably wouldn't cash out my mutual funds for one.

It's your car and your money, do what you like.

A bad investment these days ..... Hopefully that will change in near future ..... BUT i cannot see it in near future ...... From what i can see BB cars have dropped in price ... and SB cars seem to be selling ...... especially 340 cars .

Given the fact that most end up with more money in their cars than they are worth...... I say call it a hobby and enjoy.

X2. I also view us as Custodians or Caretakers (as much as some people don't like those terms) of our cars. Cared for properly, they'll "outlive" us and will be someone else's pride & joy years from now.
Not to say we shouldn't do what we want to do with them, just stating that they are a legacy to continue after we're finished with them.

Given the fact that most end up with more money in their cars than they are worth...... I say call it a hobby and enjoy.

I just passed the point of no return....no pun intended. I've now got more in my car than I could ever hope to sell it for. After talking to some of my friends it seems that Mopars are some of the most expensive not only to build a motor but other resto parts as well. I only know of one other A body running around my town. The fact that what I have is far from "cookie cutter" makes it all worthwhile.

Hobby.....

Our cars will never be considered investment material....unless they are SS cars.

Mop

If you actually drive the car on the road it must be considered a hobby given the sad reality that there is a 50/50 chance that some moron can T-bone your car at an intersection and total your ride.
I'm sure many guys here can relate to that.

Just the other day on the way to a cruise- in some stupid female in a Toyota decided she wanted the lane my buddy behind me in a 69 New Yorker was in so she just came over and pushed him into the other lane which was occupied by another vehicle.
Luckily my buddy and the other guy was paying attention and moved safely with no damage.
Then the chick snags the lane and zips by me in the left turn lane so i throw my hand out the window like what the hell, and she gives me the famous Atlanta salute and makes a left just as the light turns red.

I swear there are some times when beating a female to a pulp should be justifiable. rant off.

Hobby / necessity :bball:
I know how these MoPar's are wired to fire and keep them on the road.
Not many folks can say mother nature has touched there car and put her finger print on it.
And you can't buy a better therapy treatment :thumblef:
Hobby :thumblef:

If I were to pay $1000's to buy a turnkey car, I would say investment, because thats the way "investors" do it. Then I would probably sell it the first time I needed the $$$. However, I have never wimped out and bought a turnkey, and instead intentionally buy cars that I can work on. I put in a lot of $$$ over the years on redoing them, but money a little at a time doesn't hurt so much so I don't consider it an investment. I always say that my cars are free because that $$ is already spent and there sits the car in my garage, costing me nothing if I don't want to spend any $$ on it. All my cars run and can be driven at any time..ie, HOBBY!!!

As for the price of gas ruining our "hobby", I can put $20.00 in the 66 and it may last me a month, if I put the same $20 in my daily, it'll be gone the same day!!! JMO, Geof

If you ask my wife she will say investment (like I told her) If you ask me it is a hobby and an expensive one at that. I like have something to drive and keep at the end of the money pit though:angel4:

Its a hobby for me but when I bought my GTX 12 years ago I figured it was an investment. At least I can sell it for more then I paid for it,(2K). Its still unrestored.

its a hobby. the guys that got into it as an investment are the ones that ruin the hobby.

Hobby,...I agree 100%,....From a serious point of view, Ask any investment guy,....most any car is probably the worst investment you'll ever make,...devaluation, cost of maintanance,etc,...The poeple who do MoPars as an investment make It A LOT harder for the rest of us who just want to have a cool ride without a remortgage on your house .

Definately hobby first but removing the cost factor mine have been a definate personal investment creating better health, happiness, friends and lower daily stress levels by working on and driving them.

Oldschoolcuda

I swear there are some times when beating a female to a pulp should be justifiable. rant off.

hahaha...i agree to this!!!

Definately hobby first but removing the cost factor mine have been a definate personal investment creating better health, happiness, friends and lower daily stress levels by working on and driving them.

Oldschoolcuda

definitly a hobby...its a stress reliever and i enjoy every minute i work on my cars, both of em don't run, but they will...one day... :)

-
Back