Holley glass float bowl

-

Doug.S

1964 Dart More Door
Reaction score
My question of the day is about the Holley one barrel glass float bowl. I found one for sale and the current owner states it is for a Holley 1904. I am trying to figure out if it will bolt up to the Holley 1920? The shape and size look identical to me, but I can’t find a parts list that show they will interchange. The look of these installed is really cool. I would love to have one on the Dart. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Doug

63FBBDD5-9ECA-4DA9-AD32-F25C00F9F48D.jpeg
1950’s ford. Similar to this?
Thats all i know about this one.
I cleaned it and put a kit in it.

Do you know why they made them glass? My Father worked at Holley Carburetor Headquarters front office for 25 years during that time. I know the answer. :)

E4F5A0F5-74DE-4355-A738-A93BA6F42A10.png
E24BBC94-017B-46B6-87A7-C167BCCC81F9.png
Yes, looks just like that...so cool in my opinion. Holley version looks like this, and I found these pics via google.

Could guess. I have no clue.
Something to do with perculation
Is my guess.

The fuel at the time was eating thru the plating they were using on carbs. And making pin holes. Glass was a easy fix. Nothing more. It was not to see the float level.

I found this:
The Holley model 1904 carb, with a "Vis-A-Bowl" is pretty much identical throughout it's usage "era". The bowl will go on all 1904, 1908, 1909, and even 1920 carbs, as long as you have the glass bowl only hardware.
There are differences in the glass casting, but those are cosmetic. I've seen bowls with no script, bowls with a "Holley" script in block lettering in the lower left corner, and the more rare large, tapered "Holley" script across the front of the bowl. You can, if needed, replace the glass bowl with the metal bowl, and all you'd need are the correct screws (& bowl) to fasten the bowl to the main body.

I found this:
The Holley model 1904 carb, with a "Vis-A-Bowl" is pretty much identical throughout it's usage "era". The bowl will go on all 1904, 1908, 1909, and even 1920 carbs, as long as you have the glass bowl only hardware.
There are differences in the glass casting, but those are cosmetic. I've seen bowls with no script, bowls with a "Holley" script in block lettering in the lower left corner, and the more rare large, tapered "Holley" script across the front of the bowl. You can, if needed, replace the glass bowl with the metal bowl, and all you'd need are the correct screws (& bowl) to fasten the bowl to the main body.
Awesome! Thank you! This bowl for sale has all the hardware with it. Gonna have to buy it. Thanks again!

The fuel at the time was eating thru the plating they were using on carbs. And making pin holes. Glass was a easy fix. Nothing more. It was not to see the float level.

Well if that is true, why didn't it eat through the carb as well?

Different metal and plating process. You need to be up on casting and finish methods. Before you throw out some B/S questions like this. Nuff said!

Different metal and plating process. You need to be up on casting and finish methods. Before you throw out some B/S questions like this. Nuff said!
Well if that is true, why didn't it eat through the carb as well?
I would think that the bowls would be more susceptible to fuel corrosion because the fuel sits in the bowl all the time, so the interior is submerged in fuel,,as opposed to the rest of the carb where the fuel is just passing thru

Ummmmm excuse me? He asked a legitimate question with no attitude whatsoever. A question I was about to ask myself until I read your ridiculously smartass answer.

I gave the correct answer. If you trust me that's up to you? When you personally know the guy that made the engineering decision. Oh hell. Think what you want? Forget I said anything.

I gave the correct answer. If you trust me that's up to you? When you personally know the guy that made the engineering decision. Oh hell. Think what you want? Forget I said anything.

Ok I will. You should watch your mouth and be more respectful and less presumptuous. I am glad you personally know "the guy". I am also sure he would probably think your attitude about it stunk here tonight. Because it does.

I would think that the bowls would be more susceptible to fuel corrosion because the fuel sits in the bowl all the time, so the interior is submerged in fuel,,as opposed to the rest of the carb where the fuel is just passing thru

Right, but the bowl has other sides made up of the carburetor. That's what Del was asking about and I was wondering about myself. Make sense?

Right, but the bowl has other sides made up of the carburetor. That's what Del was asking about and I was wondering about myself. Make sense?
True,,,maybe because the bowls were thinner walls? In addition to the "plating" issue? Ive seen several different cars with glass bowl carbs,,it was more common with much older cars,,and some 30's foreign cars used them. Im just spitballin here because i dont know,,,i do think they look cool though. I even saw a dodge d100 one barrel on a chopper, with a glass fuel bowl and glass velocity stack. I'd always be afraid of a crack though

True,,,maybe the bowls were thinner walls? In addition to the "plating" issue? Ive seen several different cars with glass bowl carbs,,it was more common with much older cars,,and some 30's foreign cars used them. Im just spitballin here because i dont know,,,i do think they look cool though. I even saw a dodge d100 one barrel on a chopper, with a glass fuel bowl and glass velocity stack. I'd always be afraid of a crack though

Well, glass has more than just the clear thing goin on. It's a fantastic insulator as well. It just seems that if it was used for the reason mentioned, that the rest of the exposed carburetor bowl would suffer the same fate. I'm right there spitballin with you. lol

It wasn't a "BS" question and there's no need for you to be an asshole, OK?

-
Back