Holley Strip Dominator vs. Edelbrock Victor 340

-
NICE!! That means you’ll have more time on FABO.
While that is true of myself, that is not what has happened… yet? IDK. I’ve spent more time in the garage though! Happy days are here!

Greg, I get what your saying. I do think your over thinking it. No worries ether way. As said before, just do it and see what floats and what sinks.

Rob, I ALWAYS over think stuff. It's what I do.

We're getting pretty far off the original topic here though. I was not interested in this turning into a carb. vs. EFI thread. The fact is, I have a Sniper EFI setup and am not going to use a carb.

So back to the intake. Before I started the thread, I had sort of convinced myself that a "better" intake could help the combo. How much is what remains a mystery. As it sits, the motor makes pretty good torque. The car is fairly light. I have not weighed it in a while but I believe it's now under 3,000 without me. I weigh around 185 so let's say 3,200 "race ready".

With 500 lb ft of torque on tap, I don't think I'll have any problem getting out of the hole but down track is where I need the horsepower. If my converter is 4,000 and the motor only makes power up to 6,200 or so, that's kind of a small window for the engine to make up the ground.

I want to get this car somewhere in the 10s and MPH around 122-125. I don't know if I'm getting there with what I have right now. Would 525 hp at the crank do it? Tough to say. The larger exhaust will help, I'm thinking it could net me 10-15 hp at peak rpm.

Would the "right" intake get me over the edge? Also tough to say and why I'm engaging the experts here.

If it were me I wouldn’t let the intake hold me up, I’d run the SD until a Victor turns up.

My Dart has 3” exhaust that turn down in front of the axle. No drone whatsoever, but blows dust everywhere, wish I’d tried it without the turndowns first. The exhaust is held on by four 1/4” bolts, only takes a few minutes to remove them.

If it were me I wouldn’t let the intake hold me up, I’d run the SD until a Victor turns up.

My Dart has 3” exhaust that turn down in front of the axle. No drone whatsoever, but blows dust everywhere, wish I’d tried it without the turndowns first. The exhaust is held on by four 1/4” bolts, only takes a few minutes to remove them.

Good point.

If my converter is 4,000 and the motor only makes power up to 6,200 or so, that's kind of a small window for the engine to make up the ground.

I want to get this car somewhere in the 10s and MPH around 122-125. I don't know if I'm getting there with what I have right now.

4k to 6,200 is a rather large window to be locked up on the big end compared to some combo's racing, imo. Pulling on the big end should not be a problem as long as the converter doesn't have too much slip.

As to the 2nd part, i think you can get there as is, 10.99+, but the cars gonna have to 60'.

Don't know your tire/gear setup, but i ran some calc's with a 3.91/4.10 and 27" that looked about right for the 1/4 mi.

I still personally would work with what you have and get it dialed in. A manifold swap is a afternoons work if you feel it needs it down the road.

4k to 6,200 is a rather large window to be locked up on the big end compared to some combo's racing, imo. Pulling on the big end should not be a problem as long as the converter doesn't have too much slip.

As to the 2nd part, i think you can get there as is, 10.99+, but the cars gonna have to 60'.

Don't know your tire/gear setup, but i ran some calc's with a 3.91/4.10 and 27" that looked about right for the 1/4 mi.

I still personally would work with what you have and get it dialed in. A manifold swap is a afternoons work if you feel it needs it down the road.

28” drag radial, 4.10 gear. FMVB 904/999 with standard planetary gear set, 6 clutch drum, couple billet pieces inside, 4.2 lever. Caltracs.

Rat,
It is that old problem with you, reading & comprehension, in your haste to find fault with my comments. Read post #74 again.

Rat,
It is that old problem with you, reading & comprehension, in your haste to find fault with my comments. Read post #74 again.

Try again and see if you can follow along. He was saying fuel pressure affected atomization in a carb. It does not.

Well I never said that so why was my post highlighted in your post?????

28” drag radial, 4.10 gear. FMVB 904/999 with standard planetary gear set, 6 clutch drum, couple billet pieces inside, 4.2 lever. Caltracs.
I think you might be in the high 10's as it sits, since you have a 904 in it. I also use a 28" DR and a 4.10 gear, but with a 727. Take it to the track and find out, should be close.

Also, 4000-6200 RPM is a fat window....my converter flashes to ~5200 and I shift between 6500-6800 depending on the day. Make sure you have a good trans cooler and you'll be fine.

I think you might be in the high 10's as it sits, since you have a 904 in it. I also use a 28" DR and a 4.10 gear, but with a 727. Take it to the track and find out, should be close.

Also, 4000-6200 RPM is a fat window....my converter flashes to ~5200 and I shift between 6500-6800 depending on the day. Make sure you have a good trans cooler and you'll be fine.

Thanks! It’s my understanding that a 904 is generally a tenth quicker than a 727, all else being equal. Have a regular stacked plate cooler that works fine.

My old stock stroke 340/W2 combo would only 60 ft. in the 1.7s but it seemed typical for the 12.0 ET. I hope I can get down into the 1.5s or lower with the current setup.

The 340 had a Victor W2 and it was definitely lacking in the torque department. 3,500 rpm converter and same 4.10 gear though it could have used at least a 4.30. I shifted at 7,200. Stock stroke.

1.7s seem pretty low for a W2 340 that pulls to 7200. What torque convert ?

Thanks! It’s my understanding that a 904 is generally a tenth quicker than a 727, all else being equal. Have a regular stacked plate cooler that works fine.

My old stock stroke 340/W2 combo would only 60 ft. in the 1.7s but it seemed typical for the 12.0 ET. I hope I can get down into the 1.5s or lower with the current setup.

The 340 had a Victor W2 and it was definitely lacking in the torque department. 3,500 rpm converter and same 4.10 gear though it could have used at least a 4.30. I shifted at 7,200. Stock stroke.
Just a little info : I just got my 367 ( 40 over 360 Magnum block ) 585 lift cam , 10 to 1 compression 0n 93 octane pump gas , ancient W2 heads , Victor W2 intake, AED 750 hp carb, off the dyno the other day it made 527 hp at 6500 rpm it started to drop hp a little over 6500, max torque was at 5200 and it was 467. I shift at 6500 so its all good. I am still putting it back together but after thrashing on the car for 40 years with 6 different small block combos in my car : 68 Dart at 3150 lbs. with me in it , 904, 4900 stall 8 inch Ultimate converter, 4.30 gear, 1 7/8 Tubular Automotive headers ( new ) It should run 10.70s, 60 fts. in the low 1.40s. I run on a throttle stop to run 11.50s for the class I run it should go 11.50 at 116 with 1.49-1.51 60 ft.

D0C4BDB6-01A9-4090-9027-438CB2CB9E81.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a little info : I just got my 367 ( 40 over 360 Magnum block ) 585 lift cam , 10 to 1 compression 0n 93 octane pump gas , ancient W2 heads , Victor W2 intake, AED 750 hp carb, off the dyno the other day it made 527 hp at 6500 rpm it started to drop hp a little over 6500, max torque was at 5200 and it was 467. I shift at 6500 so its all good. I am still putting it back together but after thrashing on the car for 40 years with 6 different small block combos in my car : 68 Dart at 3150 lbs. with me in it , 904, 4900 stall 8 inch Ultimate converter, 4.30 gear, 1 7/8 Tubular Automotive headers ( new ) It should run 10.70s, 60 fts. in the low 1.40s. I run on a throttle stop to run 11.50s for the class I run it should go 11.50 at 116 with 1.49-1.51 60 ft.

View attachment 1715886186

Hot damn they use a good ignition box on that dyno.

Do you mind posting up the rest of your dyno numbers? If you don’t want to I get it. I’m just interested in what the rest looks like. Also the rest of the cam numbers if you don’t mind.

Yes, I’m nosey like that!!

That thing is picking them up and putting them down for sure!
Do the heads have much work and do you know what they flow?

1.7s seem pretty low for a W2 340 that pulls to 7200. What torque convert ?

Yeah, that was my old stuff, all different now. Converter was an off-the-shelf Hughes 3,500 "street/strip" 10". I could never launch the car very well because the brakes sucked (seriously) and would barely hold it. I would leave just above idle, like 1,200-1,400. If I had more starting line RPM it clearly would have been better. It was an adventure trying to stop the thing too. I would usually have to use the last turnoff and I wasn't even going that fast. They were '65-'72 KH style with aluminum calipers that never worked well in any situation.

I have a Dynamic 9 1/2" converter now that was custom made to my combo, should help wake things up. I also have better brakes too.

Very good numbers. I've seen your car many times, the gold Dart. I think your combo is a little less "street" than mine but it's still pretty stout for less than 400".

I have a 4.30 gear that I took out and replaced with the 4.10. If/when I get the car out I'll see what it does but after changing it out it never felt as quick off the line. It's only a few % difference but it's noticeable.

In regards to intake manifolds, the steeper gear gets them into the sweet spot that much sooner.

Very good numbers. I've seen your car many times, the gold Dart. I think your combo is a little less "street" than mine but it's still pretty stout for less than 400".

I have a 4.30 gear that I took out and replaced with the 4.10. If/when I get the car out I'll see what it does but after changing it out it never felt as quick off the line. It's only a few % difference but it's noticeable.

In regards to intake manifolds, the steeper gear gets them into the sweet spot that much sooner.
When I had the stroker motor in I went from a 4.10 to a 4.30 and didnt see any difference .. as they say “ your results may vary” but now that my stock stroke motor is back in I might go to a 4.88 which I ran with this motor before

Here’s the cam card for my 367, I don't remember the flow numbers but they are as I bought them over 25 years ago. This same motor made 549 hp / 450 tq when it was at 11.5 to 1 compression , a 590 lift cam and the same Victor W2 intake on race gas and went 10.40 in my Dart. When I first used the heads it was on a 340 with 12.5 to 1 compression , 627 lift roller cam, and a Strip Dominator it made 527 hp and I went 10.70s. So now with less compression and a mechanical cam in a 360 I m running the same with similar hp. on pump gas. When I was building my other motor ( 408 Stroker , R3 block ) I purchased another set of W2 heads for it but my engine builder talked me out of it and into using Indy 360-1 heads and I sold them I should not of listened to him as the Indy rocker gear has been troublesome and I cracked the Eagle stroker crank.
121E077C-107A-4E35-99B8-3CEA07DF6129.jpeg

Last edited:
What I find interesting on the Victor 340 intake that I have sitting on the shelf is that it has 318 size ports. I used the Victor on the stroker because I didn't want to do all the extra grinding required on the Victor 340.

Yeah........like so what? Well just a fun fact.

Here’s the cam card for my 367
View attachment 1715886812

My cam is really close to that, same 104 intake. I net the same exhaust lift with a 1.6 rocker.

This is what drives me nuts about my engine and why I've been trying to figure out where I went wrong with it. I have a decent-size cam and heads that flow almost 300 cfm. When I went to dyno it, I was sure it would make 525-530 hp. The torque is great but I'm convinced something is holding back the peak power.

It could use a bit more compression but I'm somewhat limited with iron head and pump premium. Using a Fel Pro .039" but am looking at a Cometic .027" which could give me a .3-.4 more squeeze.

On the dyno the smaller headers were probably a choke point but to what extent I'm not sure. I think the HV oil pump cost me a few HP so short of all that the one thing that really sticks in my mind as to what could be the limiting factor is the intake.

Maybe the 4" stroke needs a slightly longer runner? I really don't know. It's the easiest thing to replace so I do think it's worth a try. I'm taking the thing apart to check it so might as well.

I found one on Ebay for $300, will be here next week. Seller said it was gasket matched. Hopefully it works out OK.

My cam is really close to that, same 104 intake. I net the same exhaust lift with a 1.6 rocker.

This is what drives me nuts about my engine and why I've been trying to figure out where I went wrong with it. I have a decent-size cam and heads that flow almost 300 cfm. When I went to dyno it, I was sure it would make 525-530 hp. The torque is great but I'm convinced something is holding back the peak power.

It could use a bit more compression but I'm somewhat limited with iron head and pump premium. Using a Fel Pro .039" but am looking at a Cometic .027" which could give me a .3-.4 more squeeze.

On the dyno the smaller headers were probably a choke point but to what extent I'm not sure. I think the HV oil pump cost me a few HP so short of all that the one thing that really sticks in my mind as to what could be the limiting factor is the intake.

Maybe the 4" stroke needs a slightly longer runner? I really don't know. It's the easiest thing to replace so I do think it's worth a try. I'm taking the thing apart to check it so might as well.

I found one on Ebay for $300, will be here next week. Seller said it was gasket matched. Hopefully it works out OK.

What did it make on the dyno? You might be surprised what a cork an unported intake can be on good heads.

-
Back