Holley vs. Eddy 273

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I am thinking of pulling the Eddy 600 off my commando 273 and using it for my 318 71 swinger . I would like to put a bigger Holley on the 273 but don't want to over carb the motor. It is a 65 commando motor with the 10.5/1s and was rebuilt that way with a bigger cam, headers and 2 1/2 exhaust. I will be using an Eddy D4B intake. How big should I go? Specs for the 66 D-Dart called for a holley 4160 but not sure of the size.

Cam specs Solid comp cams 20-246-1, 468 lift, 270 duration, 901-16 springs, stock valves.

i have always ran a eddy 600 on my 273, than once I built my 318 the eddy went on it. no matter what i did it would always run rich but was still a good carb because of how simple they are. but I just put a holley 670 street avenger on today, and it runs way better, it just needs a little more tuning to get it right but the throttle response is way more responsive and crisp, plus there is a noticeable improvement in performance. good luck -Kory

i've done quite a bit. I have the keith black piston, eagle rods, edelbrock heads, air gap intake, the comp is about 10:1, and I have a decent cam, nothing to radical, its around .484 lift. But after doing all this a figured well if eddy burned rich on my 273, then on my 318 it should be perfect, but that wasnt the case so I would jet it down one stage at a time to the point it would no longer burn rich but as soon as i would begin to push the peddle it would bog and die. the 670 seems like a lot but thats if youre comparing it to the edelbrock. The build I followed actually used a 750, but after starting a forum on here everyone felt the 670 would be a better choice, and Im glad i listened cause it works great and doesnt burn rich. I just like how you can tune a holley much more to your standards then you can an edelbrock.

I prefer edelbrocks because if you let Holleys sit for long periods of time say 3weeks or so the fuel in the bowls will eat away the gaskets and you will have a carb to rebuild on your hands.

Just my .02 and a properly tuned Eddy is killer.

I prefer edelbrocks because if you let Holleys sit for long periods of time say 3weeks or so the fuel in the bowls will eat away the gaskets and you will have a carb to rebuild on your hands.

This is spot on from my experience with both carbs & today's crap ethanol blended fuels. Tried an avenger 570 cfm unit on 273 commando in my 65 valiant & worked great actually out performing my eddy 600 but she sits from Nov. until march and after first season of inactivity even with fuel additive car would not start the following spring. Removed for rebuild & could not believe how it deteriorated that quick. Probably should have started periodically but have never had problems with carters or eddy's after sitting. Don't get me wrong holly's are great performing carbs but eddy's are simpler to tune, have near equal performance and tolerate modern fuel much better.

I played with the eddies for some time, and have now gone back to Holleys. From the 600 eddy to the 670 holley on my 318. Runs better. The 600 was just not enough. Eddys are way easer to tune from what I have seen, but the holleys have way more tune ability. I would think 570 would be great for a 273. Just remember any new carb these days seems way to lean from the factory. I had to go up 6 jet sizes on my 670. But boy dose it work great now!

What rear gear do you have in the Valiant? If it's 3.55 or more with your shorter tire, light weight, compression and the 4 gear you might be able to use a mechanical secondary carb. 600 or 650 Double pumper? If 3.23 or less a tuned up 600 vac. secondary would probably be the best.

OOPS
Missed the 4 speed part. If it was my car I would go with a 600DP, if like he said 3.55 gear or higher.

What rear gear do you have in the Valiant? If it's 3.55 or more with your shorter tire, light weight, compression and the 4 gear you might be able to use a mechanical secondary carb. 600 or 650 Double pumper? If 3.23 or less a tuned up 600 vac. secondary would probably be the best.

With the bog part of the eddy carb try different springs in the metering rods A strip kit has 5 different sets of springs and a large assortment of metering rods and jets . Also might think about recurving the distributor .

OOPS
Missed the 4 speed part. If it was my car I would go with a 600DP, if like he said 3.55 gear or higher.

That's what I been running in my 273 with 4 speed, 4.10 rear & 26" tire height for the last 12years & 10Kmiles...Great throttle response! Two issues have popped up....a very small leak (10 drops worth) under the throttle linkage when it sits in the winter for long periods of times and rust/sediment built up from the original gas line & tank corrosion clogged my carb and I had to rebuild the front bowl, front end gaskets & replaced the power valve. All in all, I'm very happy with it!

-
Back