Holley's science vs Edelbrock simplicity?

-
Both those carburetors were already on the cars or trucks actually. I help people restore their classic vehicles and teaching them how to maintain them. I barely know enough about Holley's to be dangerous. All I can say is my experience with the general public and carburetors most don't know crap which means it's way easier on me when they have an Edelbrock.
Two weeks ago it was a 57 Chevy and the customer bought it with a 350 4 speed conversion. It had a new Edelbrock 1406. The choke is open and it's idling extremely high then I asked is that normal and he's like yeah it runs great doesn't it? Isn't it going a little fast? So I idle it down just a little bit and it dies? Again to start it back up and it dies....? I crank the idol back up and it runs. I open up the left air bleed and guess what it idles up pretty high. Bring the idle down, adjust the other side, keep bringing the idle down and so on till it was purring like a kitten. Very happy customer and an easy payday, thank you Edelbrock!
Completely missed my point, as usual... LOL You went East and I was going West. It's all good... :D

I'm coming away with the overview that a street car for a self-tuner wants an Edelbrock and a strip car with an experienced carburetor tuner wants a Holley. Having had both over the years
I guess its preference of the owner. I do feel that my AVS2 is much easier to tune than the Holley I removed for the Edelbrock. I did try for two years to tune the Holley but just couldn't get it.
Wasn't for a lack of trying or advice, I sold $250 worth of tuning parts along with the carburetor for $200 and felt lucky to get that. That said, my car is a street car and the AVS2 was not bolt and
go. My wideband and plugs told me I had to learn how to get it better and I did in about 6 weeks of trying and experimenting. Like dogs, there are no bad carburetors.

Completely missed my point, as usual... LOL You went East and I was going West. It's all good... :D
And you miss my point that I try to teach my customers about their car, (that's what they pay me for as well) I don't like them to drive them and not know anything. These are nostalgic cars and most people don't know how to work on them so at least if they know something they're able to distinguish between the people (mechanics) that do and don't know anyting..

Hey! How does Toolmanmike do that? He made a post and then made it disappear? He's magical!
318 has valves that will fly always disagrees with me...
On the other hand yr actually made a comment that sounded as if he had his medications today.. (not a common sight lately)

Hey! How does Toolmanmike do that? He made a post and then made it disappear? He's magical!
On the other hand yr actually made a comment that sounded as if he had his medications today.. (not a common sight lately)

So I posted something you didn't understand? That's not surprising.

BTW, on the page before this one, you said (this is a paraphrase) I adjusted the left air bleed and then started working the idle down or something to that affect. How did you adjust the left air bleed and where is it on an Edelbrock? That's a serious question.

• you didn't reply to post 82..... :D
  • Toolmanmike is an awesome moderator.
  • and post 86 is hilarious ... :D

I like the idea behind the AVS2. How is it working for you?

Still messing with the jetting/timing but the throttle response and low speed qualities seem to be an improvement. The 750 Holley (Qickfuel) I was running made much more full throttle power. But that could be due to tuning or the fact that I chose a 650 cfm AVS.

The problem was I didn't understand...
I'll be damned if I didn't get tripped up by my terminology...
oh well I'll have to call that customer back and inform him that his car isn't running good and I don't know what I'm doing LOL...

^^^he ain't getting this money back though! I did fix that 4 speed linkage as well and for the first time in the two years that he owned the car he actually drove it. We went on the freeway and everything (as scary as that was)..

The problem was I didn't understand...
I'll be damned if I didn't get tripped up by my terminology...
oh well I'll have to call that customer back and inform him that his car isn't running good and I don't know what I'm doing LOL...

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you did? I'm not getting it. That's why I asked.

I had Pro Sytems build a Holley for my 408 and although I havent driven the car yet it does start and idle spot on.
For an engine like this one Idont think Eddie makes a carb cpable of its performance levels. Maybe a TQ 1000 cfm tuned by a knowledgeable tech

I feel a certain GIF about to appear .. for this thread was an easy answer.. ...as history already answered it. None the less so easily it can spiral into a preference debate on an never ending hwy to hell. lol
I can tune either one and i can reccomend one or the other 'application wise' and or for those mechanically impaired. Some require more maintenance... for instance..the diffences between indian, harley, bmw, bsa... there's a hint... its mostly subtle, but those differences are the decision makers in the end for where your expectation ultimately settles.

I had Pro Sytems build a Holley for my 408 and although I havent driven the car yet it does start and idle spot on.
For an engine like this one Idont think Eddie makes a carb cpable of its performance levels. Maybe a TQ 1000 cfm tuned by a knowledgeable tech
I have two Eddie's on my 410 and they feed it just fine...:thumbsup:

I feel a certain GIF about to appear .. for this thread was an easy answer.. ...as history already answered it. None the less so easily it can spiral into a preference debate on an never ending hwy to hell. lol
I can tune either one and i can reccomend one or the other 'application wise' and or for those mechanically impaired. Some require more maintenance... for instance..the diffences between indian, harley, bmw, bsa... there's a hint... its mostly subtle, but those differences are the decision makers in the end for where your expectation ultimately settles.
I agree. I will not debate, after using Carter AFB and AVS's for many years on different applications.
Holley is my carburetor of choice. The bog and oscillating step up rods are no longer something I have to deal with. lol

I like Carters/Edelbrocks for my neighbors car. Set em and forget em. For my cars its nothing but Holley double pumpers. I very much dislike vacuum secondary carbs for any hot rod.

They sure aren't double pumpers. Let me rephrase that. It still take air flow to open the air flap/door thing whatever it is.

I prefer the Edelbrock carbs. Easier for me and i haven't had any issue that had me wanting to throw them in the trash. Great street carbs.

I've had a few Holleys and they were always more finicky to get running right. One was a vacuum secondary carb that i never could get the secondaries to open with regularity. The other was the famed 750 double pumper I was never quite happy with.

-
Back